Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY solution to deadening tire noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many thanks for your efforts and particularly your documentation. Solid and sustained piece of work.
For me, quiet is super-important in the Tesla, but I find wind noise more troubling than tyre roar....
The Service Centre should be able to fix the wind noise. I had some when I got the car, they fixed it, and it hasn't returned in three years.

The Service Centre should be able to fix the wind noise. I had some when I got the car, they fixed it, and it hasn't returned in three years.

My service center reduced some of the wind noise I had coming from the driver's side triangle window, but says the wind noise I still have is normal. I don't know if that is true or not. For all I know it is, but if it is, it is a fair amount of wind noise.

I regret to report that my latest DYI attempt was a bust. On my drive to Phildelphia on Sunday to install the new GEN II Test Production appliqués on my, SUPRKAR's, and WATTS-UP's cars, the foam came loose in two tires and I had to deal with out-of-balance wheels and intense vibration for about 200 miles. Not a pleasant experience but no damage was done.

So the glue, which had held for about 6 months, eventually failed. The foam was stripped out of all 4 tires this morning. It was bunched up in two and coming loose in the other two. So this DIY experiment is over and I probably won't make another attempt. Not sure it was even worth it in terms of the sound deadening.

Maybe I should invest in carbon fiber wheels:)

Artsci I hope to have mine by the Yorktown trip in May - if I do we should do some tests to see if it really makes a difference. I have been watching the thread since inception and thought you had it solved! Sorry to hear about the out of balance part - that can be unnerving...

My service center reduced some of the wind noise I had coming from the driver's side triangle window, but says the wind noise I still have is normal. I don't know if that is true or not. For all I know it is, but if it is, it is a fair amount of wind noise.

Mind had the noise and cold seeping in. After a few tries, they figured out that it wasn't the triangle (even though you could feel it there), but was coming from the door panel trim. That led to the discover that the seal around my door handle had come undone and the cold air (and some of the noise) was coming from the door handle and seeping into the cabin at all the door trim edges. Maybe something like that is happening in your case Andy? I almost got to the point of borrowing a thermal camera/FLIR so I could trace where the cold was coming from and tell the SvC exactly where to look. But I also had the benefit of the SvC being close by so I could keep going back until it was fixed to my satisfaction.

Mind had the noise and cold seeping in. After a few tries, they figured out that it wasn't the triangle (even though you could feel it there), but was coming from the door panel trim. That led to the discover that the seal around my door handle had come undone and the cold air (and some of the noise) was coming from the door handle and seeping into the cabin at all the door trim edges. Maybe something like that is happening in your case Andy? I almost got to the point of borrowing a thermal camera/FLIR so I could trace where the cold was coming from and tell the SvC exactly where to look. But I also had the benefit of the SvC being close by so I could keep going back until it was fixed to my satisfaction.

That could be, though I don't really feel cold air. I'll have to try to pay more attention. That is very different from what I've been trying to do, which is just not think about it, assuming it really was normal. :)

That could be, though I don't really feel cold air. I'll have to try to pay more attention. That is very different from what I've been trying to do, which is just not think about it, assuming it really was normal. :)

The service center replaced the seals on my door handles at my last visit. They said the seals were basically held on with a bead of sealant, and that it eventually starts to fail resulting in extra wind noise and cold. The fix is to reseal, and add push nuts and a cable tie so the sealant isn't the only thing holding it together. (Not sure if this applies to new cars, but it helped my 2013)

As silly as it sounds (and as silly as it will look!), you could try some 2" painter's tape over the outside areas you think might be letting in the air. If you cover the handle and that small front window section and the noise stops, you have better ammunition for the service center.

The service center replaced the seals on my door handles at my last visit. They said the seals were basically held on with a bead of sealant, and that it eventually starts to fail resulting in extra wind noise and cold. The fix is to reseal, and add push nuts and a cable tie so the sealant isn't the only thing holding it together. (Not sure if this applies to new cars, but it helped my 2013)

I've had the issue with the wind noise from the day I took delivery, so if the seals are bad, they were delivered that way.

As silly as it sounds (and as silly as it will look!), you could try some 2" painter's tape over the outside areas you think might be letting in the air. If you cover the handle and that small front window section and the noise stops, you have better ammunition for the service center.

That's an interesting idea. I'd be a little concerned about the tape adversely affecting the car's finish, though. The car has been treated with Opticoat Pro. Perhaps I should ask the detailers about the risks of tape, or what type of tape they'd recommend.

Basically I'd just put a piece of tape across the door handle (or have someone else do it, I guess, since it needs to be un-extended), and more tape around all the seals by the triangle mirror? I guess turning off auto-presenting door handles should prevent the handle from trying to extend on its own, once it has been taped. (I'm not too familiar with that setting, since I don't use it.)

I may try this! Thanks for the idea.

Try this. Close the door on a bill. If you can easily pull the bill with the door closed, the triangular window needs adjustment.

Also sometimes tire noise sounds a lot like wind noise. I really thought I had a bad wind noise until I drove over the 2 km of good pavement we have here and the noise completely stopped :)

Try this. Close the door on a bill. If you can easily pull the bill with the door closed, the triangular window needs adjustment.

Also sometimes tire noise sounds a lot like wind noise. I really thought I had a bad wind noise until I drove over the 2 km of good pavement we have here and the noise completely stopped :)

I'll try that, but I'm not sure I understand the connection between the door and the window.

The noise I am hearing is definitely wind noise. It comes and goes in a way that has nothing to do with the road. The one time a service tech road with me he acknowledged hearing it, but said it was normal. Again, perhaps it is, as I've never spent any amount of time in other Model Ss. I had three short test drives, all after I had placed my order, and everything was so new that I was not thinking about wind noise at those times.

Heading out to the garage with a dollar bill now, and will report back shortly.

Edit: I could remove the bill pretty easily from all four doors. It really didn't seem like it could be close to tight. If it hadn't been you posting that, Jerry, I would have thought perhaps someone was having some fun with me.

Last edited:
I'll try that, but I'm not sure I understand the connection between the door and the window.

The noise I am hearing is definitely wind noise. It comes and goes in a way that has nothing to do with the road. The one time a service tech road with me he acknowledged hearing it, but said it was normal. Again, perhaps it is, as I've never spent any amount of time in other Model Ss. I had three short test drives, all after I had placed my order, and everything was so new that I was not thinking about wind noise at those times.

Heading out to the garage with a dollar bill now, and will report back shortly.

Edit: I could remove the bill pretty easily from all four doors. It really didn't seem like it could be close to tight. If it hadn't been you posting that, Jerry, I would have thought perhaps someone was having some fun with me.

If I wasn't clear, you put the bill between the triangle window and the side window.

The bill placed in between the triangle window and frame of the car is much more difficult to remove than the bill in the door! :) It can still be removed fairly easily, though, with no real threat of ripping the bill. The one exception to that is if I place the bill all the way at the bottom, where part of the horizontal portion of the door actually closes on it too, it is quite tight there. Removing it from that position with the door closed was also possible, but that was a much tighter fit.

If my wife is willing to cooperate later and play videographer, perhaps I will make a video to demonstrate, and see what you think.

Thanks for the suggestion, and the clarification.

Last edited:
For anyone who is interested, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires are much quieter than the Michelin Primacy in the 19" size. I replaced my Primacies with the A/S 3 and the noise difference is unbelievable. The inside of my car has gone from Volkswagen quiet to Lexus quiet.

Definitely interested in knowing that. Thanks!

Although I'm not quite ready for new tires, I've been following the recommendations on the forum and I'd narrowed it down to the Pirelli Cinturato P7 and the Pilot Sport A/S 3. I think the A/S 3 is ahead in the forums and in my mind as the one to go with as the 3-season winner, plus snows for the winter.

For anyone who is interested, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires are much quieter than the Michelin Primacy in the 19" size. I replaced my Primacies with the A/S 3 and the noise difference is unbelievable. The inside of my car has gone from Volkswagen quiet to Lexus quiet.

Thanks for the information.

You had mentioned previously some potential issue with the fact that the Pilot Sport A/S 3s are not low rolling resistance, while the Primacies are. Have you been able to do any comparison to get a quantitative or even just a subjective feel for the difference, if any?

Last edited:
Thanks for the information.

You had mentioned previously some potential issue with the fact that the Pilot Sport A/S 3s are not low rolling resistance, while the Primacys are. Have you been able to do any comparison to get a quantitative or even just a subjective feel for the difference, if any?

My daily Wh/mi numbers have jumped between 5%-10% with the A/S 3. However, per JB Straubel's blog post, brand new tires can increase energy consumption by 5% during the first 1,000 miles. So if that turns out to be true, then I'm thinking the lack of LRR is going to result in a 3%-5% range penalty. After riding on Primacies for 2 ½ years, I'm ready for a tire that offers improved stability and handling even if that means slightly lower efficiency. I actually forgot what it feels like to have really good tires until now.

The Pirelli Cinturatos are LRR and will probably give better efficiency.

I read an article recently that many owners of EVs and PHEVs are ditching LRR tires due to performance and handling issues. You can count me among them.

My daily Wh/mi numbers have jumped between 5%-10% with the A/S 3. However, per JB Straubel's blog post, brand new tires can increase energy consumption by 5% during the first 1,000 miles. So if that turns out to be true, then I'm thinking the lack of LRR is going to result in a 3%-5% range penalty. After riding on Primacies for 2 ½ years, I'm ready for a tire that offers improved stability and handling even if that means slightly lower efficiency. I actually forgot what it feels like to have really good tires until now.

The Pirelli Cinturatos are LRR and will probably give better efficiency.

I read an article recently that many owners of EVs and PHEVs are ditching LRR tires due to performance and handling issues. You can count me among them.

Very interesting. Thank you!