Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do all Model Y rear trunk glass stick out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did not notice that when i took delivery, recently cleaning the car and noticed rear windshield does not align with the roof, unfortundately i don't see many y in my neighborhood so i have nothing to compare with, is that normal?
IMG_5208.jpeg

Forget about it. This type of stuff will drive you nuts if you let it... but it's so miniscule you only just now noticed. People aren't walking by your vehicle thinking "whoa, look at the misalignment".

There are definitely some Teslas that have come off the production line with serious misalignments, but yours isn't one of them. Plus, fixing these things can cause other issues. Just my two cents. Congrats on owning the world's most popular vehicle (for good reasons)!!!

To your question of "is it normal?", I'd say it's not uncommon... but also not by design. Everything in manufacturing has tolerances, and your roof glass is functional. I'm sure there are plenty of other roofs just like yours, but also plenty that are perfect, and plenty that are worse.

Here's another thread from someone with misalignment:

You could certainly ask your closest service center to adjust it, but there's no guarantee it won't cause a different misalignment.

I hope this helps!

Reactions: fsb1
Mine trunk glass is more “warped” where it sticks up more on the driver’s side. I only notice it when my car is backed into the garage and I’m standing up on the step behind it looking at it from behind. My service advisor said he could try to fix it but warned me that it’s possible the attempted re-alignment will create another problem. I decided to live with it.

Reactions: Chewy13
Mine trunk glass is more “warped” where it sticks up more on the driver’s side. I only notice it when my car is backed into the garage and I’m standing up on the step behind it looking at it from behind. My service advisor said he could try to fix it but warned me that it’s possible the attempted re-alignment will create another problem. I decided to live with it.
Same. Everything else in terms of alignment and gaps looks fine - but the curve of the rear glass isn't consistent. Perfect on the passenger side, high on the center/drivers - and then back to 'normal' as it approaches the end of the driver's side. Drives me nuts, but there isn't much that can be done.

It looks like the hatch just needs to be adjusted a bit - but frequently when this is done, it may misalign somewhere else...
I had my hatch adjusted and they chipped the edge of the roof glass. They didn't disclose, but when I showed them, they documented it. They offered to replace the roof glass, but I'm afraid of what else they will screw up. Two out of three service appts messed up something related. I'm only going in for major stuff now.

Reactions: Chewy13
I had my hatch adjusted and they chipped the edge of the roof glass. They didn't disclose, but when I showed them, they documented it. They offered to replace the roof glass, but I'm afraid of what else they will screw up. Two out of three service appts messed up something related. I'm only going in for major stuff now.

Steering wheel trim was coming loose, replaced the steering wheel; scratched my driver's window tint.
Glove box wouldn't stay shut; chewed up the wood trim above the glove box removing it.
Driver's side front tire foam came loose; scratched the rim replacing the tire.
Driver's side sideview mirror glass shakes/vibrates; replacement shakes/vibrates more than the original one.
Brought the car in for vibrations felt through the steering and seats, as a result wheels were removed; center caps on my induction wheels are scratched/nicked from removal.

I'm with you, I'm not bringing it in unless something is really wrong..

Steering wheel trim was coming loose, replaced the steering wheel; scratched my driver's window tint.
Glove box wouldn't stay shut; chewed up the wood trim above the glove box removing it.
Driver's side sideview mirror glass shakes/vibrates; replacement shakes/vibrates more than the original one.
Brought the car in for vibrations felt through the steering and seats, as a result wheels were removed; center caps on my induction wheels are scratched/nicked from removal.

What you're talking about sounds like a serious lack of skills from your service center. My closest service center has been decent, but aligning this roof glass causes other shifts... it's almost more like an art than a service job... I'd not feel confident it will be perfect afterwards. Might even want to DIY that.

Ouch!

I had this kinda issue when picking up the car. On the drivers side it was a bit lower and on the passengers side a bit higher than the roof panel. They replaced my lifgate glass (rear window) and it took a whole working day as in dropped the car off first thing in the morning and picked it up before closing.