Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I have a heat pump?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Likely not and I'm just going crazy but....

After reading the thread about the re-designed frunk I checked my car out (VIN 744XXX) and it does have it. In that thread there is a conversation about this possibly being done to accommodate a heat pump...

So this morning, I used the Tesla app to precondition the cabin on HI and the below recording is what I got. Ambient temp was 73F and it took about 20-30 seconds to feel any heat. It sure sounds like a compressor in there and I watched a few videos of the Y and it sounds similar.

I took off the piece to access the 12v battery but I can't get a good look with that, and I'm not comfortable pulling out the frunk. I do have an appointment Sep 3rd to have the Tesla garage door opener installed, not sure if I can take a look then or perhaps ask the tech.

Here is the video for your 2 cents...thanks

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors and cdswm3
Sounds like a compressor to me. But doing that from the app can sometimes turn on defrost, which probably turns on the AC as well? Maybe not super deterministic. Could be either.

And yeah, the "instant heat" does actually take 30 seconds or so, even before the heat pump design.

Mobile Tech should be able to tell or show you.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Sounds like a compressor to me. But doing that from the app can sometimes turn on defrost, which probably turns on the AC as well? Maybe not super deterministic. Could be either.

And yeah, the "instant heat" does actually take 30 seconds or so, even before the heat pump design.

Mobile Tech should be able to tell or show you.
Again I highly doubt it, but the sound is suspect. I tried the same thing inside the car without the app. Ran the heat and same compressor sound. Then I switched to AC (set temp to LO) and the sound was different, quieter.
Lowering the blower fan did not affect the compressor noise.

Again I highly doubt it, but the sound is suspect. I tried the same thing inside the car without the app. Ran the heat and same compressor sound. Then I switched to AC (set temp to LO) and the sound was different, quieter.
Lowering the blower fan did not affect the compressor noise.
Ok, it seems pretty clear to me you have the newer heat pump setup then. Congrats! Could be wrong, but seems right for now.

Likely not and I'm just going crazy but....

After reading the thread about the re-designed frunk I checked my car out (VIN 744XXX) and it does have it. In that thread there is a conversation about this possibly being done to accommodate a heat pump...

So this morning, I used the Tesla app to precondition the cabin on HI and the below recording is what I got. Ambient temp was 73F and it took about 20-30 seconds to feel any heat. It sure sounds like a compressor in there and I watched a few videos of the Y and it sounds similar.

I took off the piece to access the 12v battery but I can't get a good look with that, and I'm not comfortable pulling out the frunk. I do have an appointment Sep 3rd to have the Tesla garage door opener installed, not sure if I can take a look then or perhaps ask the tech.

Here is the video for your 2 cents...thanks

My car is making the same sound when I turn climate on and it’s a hot day. I have a model year 2020 that was delivered in December 2019.

• Informative
Reactions: cdswm3 and sightman
Does this look like a heat pump or regular AC compressor. Hard to tell. This pic was taken during Homelink install.
upload_2020-8-24_18-56-35.jpeg

Or they could just put homelink back in all cars and SW deactivate them unless you "upgrade" on a lower trim car.

That'd be fine too.

If Tesla wanted to pay the Homelink licensing fee for all of the hardware installed and not activated. I'm sure their data showed that most people weren't using the Homelink so it made sense to remove it so they could cut costs and help lower the price of the car. (For people that don't need/want it.)

Or they could just put homelink back in all cars and SW deactivate them unless you "upgrade" on a lower trim car.

That'd be fine too.

Only if they charged everyone for them, because they have to pay the license charge for homelink when its installed, not when its "software activated".

Edit.. didnt notice that @MP3Mike already said that.

Still, the big fail from tesla on homelink is not allowing someone to click a button to add it to their order.

THAT would work just fine, allow a factory install, AND only pay the license fee for those who want it. It makes sense for them to not install it for everyone, but it doesnt make sense for it to have to be installed 3 weeks later.

Should be a checkbox on the order form for $300 more and factory installation.