Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I have a structural battery pack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MYLR, Fremont built, picked up a week ago. Is this a structural battery pack? I searched, and what I am seeing doesn't match any of the pictures I found online. There is what looks like a center ski, nothing else.
Thanks for any responses!

20230705_171337.jpg

20230705_173513.jpg

Last edited:
Nope.

Those versions of the MY only come out of the Texas plant.

An easier way to find out is simply your EPA range at full. The structural pack only offers 279 mi of range with the LR on 19” Gemini wheels. I believe it’s 269 mi with the 20” induction. The non-structural versions of the LR have 300+ range. MYP do not come with structural batteries at all.

MYLR, Fremont built, picked up a week ago. Is this a structural battery pack? I searched, and what I am seeing doesn't match any of the pictures I found online. There is what looks like a center ski, nothing else.
Thanks for any responses!

View attachment 953539
View attachment 953540
No MY LR have 4680 structural packs. Only MY AWD built in Texas. No pictures necessary.

Reactions: flixden
I was asking because I saw the two TSBs covering damage checks to the structural and non structural battery packs, and neither of the descriptions really matches what I am seeing under my MYLR.
I guess the structure of the non- structural packs must have changed. I definitely don't see three skis under there, only one in the center.

I was asking because I saw the two TSBs covering damage checks to the structural and non structural battery packs, and neither of the descriptions really matches what I am seeing under my MYLR.
I guess the structure of the non- structural packs must have changed. I definitely don't see three skis under there, only one in the center.
Which TSBs? Did you get an email or just see them online? This tool will tell you if there is anything relating to your specific vehicle.

You can find them here....

You'll need a subscription, which is free for individuals.

I'm guessing @fixden is referring to TN-22-16-001
Yes, that one. And TN-18-16-001 for the non-structural battery pack.
@Mrbrock : you'll find both here in the forum with a search. Let me know if you don't ...
What's interesting is that my battery doesn't really match any of these described in the two TSBs.

Yes, that one. And TN-18-16-001 for the non-structural battery pack.
@Mrbrock : you'll find both here in the forum with a search. Let me know if you don't ...
What's interesting is that my battery doesn't really match any of these described in the two TSBs.
Have you run over anything? These aren't to just randomly check your vehicle for damage, these are SOPs for when customers bring cars in. Also, the non-structural one is from 2018, the Model Y did not exist at that point. The depictions are of a Model 3 and they just ammended it later to include the Model Y without changing pictures. There might be changes to the Model Y belly pan since the 2018 Model 3.
1688777171355.png

1688777276111.png

A quick scan of the parts catalog shows the outside skids (11) but there is no actual part listing for them so they are not included anymore.
1688777926758.png

Tesla is notorious for leaving old/bad information out there so going down the rabbit hole of applying all TSBs to you and your car is a bad idea. If the car isn't operating properly, schedule service and have it taken care of, otherwise enjoy it. You will notice that none of the TNs will show up when you do the VIN search for recalls because THEY ARE NOT recalls.

Have you run over anything? These aren't to just randomly check your vehicle for damage, these are SOPs for when customers bring cars in. Also, the non-structural one is from 2018, the Model Y did not exist at that point. The depictions are of a Model 3 and they just ammended it later to include the Model Y without changing pictures. There might be changes to the Model Y belly pan since the 2018 Model 3.
View attachment 954172
View attachment 954173

A quick scan of the parts catalog shows the outside skids (11) but there is no actual part listing for them so they are not included anymore.
View attachment 954175

Tesla is notorious for leaving old/bad information out there so going down the rabbit hole of applying all TSBs to you and your car is a bad idea. If the car isn't operating properly, schedule service and have it taken care of, otherwise enjoy it. You will notice that none of the TNs will show up when you do the VIN search for recalls because THEY ARE NOT recalls.
I agree, and was pretty much aware of what you said. I am just educating myself. As an engineer, it's in my blood trying to understand things. 😄👍🏻

Reactions: Mrbrock
View attachment 954172
View attachment 954173

View attachment 954175

Yep. When the Model Y came out, the entire PDF owners manual was a copy & paste of the Model 3 owner's manual with bits and pieces of wrong info left over from the Model 3. Took them about six months to scrub it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and flixden
Is it still the case that only the RWD Model Y coming out of Texas has the structural battery pack? I'm thinking of purchasing a new Model Y soon and was not sure what I would get with the LR Model Y.
This was never the case. Only the AWD Model Y from Austin had structural. Not the LR AWD, just the AWD Model Y (279 mile range). RWD MY (formerly SR) doe not have structural.

Reactions: nBar5EV1