Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need to buy any additional chargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize for such a noob question but it's my first time owning an electric vehicle so I'm a bit confused.
My condo has a charging station for electric vehicles but they're not specifically made for Tesla. At this point, I'm not sure if it's just a power outlet or an actual special charger.
Do I need to buy something to charge my Model 3? Does Model 3 LR come with a charging adapter?

Also when i'm on the roads, and can't find a supercharger nearby, what adapter should I always have in my car for emergency?

I apologize for such a noob question but it's my first time owning an electric vehicle so I'm a bit confused.
My condo has a charging station for electric vehicles but they're not specifically made for Tesla. At this point, I'm not sure if it's just a power outlet or an actual special charger.
Do I need to buy something to charge my Model 3? Does Model 3 LR come with a charging adapter?

Also when i'm on the roads, and can't find a supercharger nearby, what adapter should I always have in my car for emergency?

Its pretty normal to be confused in this situation, so dont worry too much about it.

For us to tell you definitively what you might need as far as your condo charging situation, you could take a picture of it and post it. Thats probably not necessary though, as long as its a "EV wall connector for regular EVs", we can make an educated guess.

Non Tesla EVs in the US typically use a standard called J1772. Its different than Teslas proprietary connector, but every model 3 comes with an adapter to adapt a j1772 adapter to the tesla one needed to charge your car.

I dont know how it works in Canada, however (if J1772 is standard up there), but I havent seen anyone from Canada say different (unlike Europe, which does use different connectors in general).

So, the short version of "do I need to buy something additional to charge at my condo because it already has a wall connector I can use" should be " no, but take a picture of the wall connector and we can verify.

As far as your second question, "when you are on the road, what do you need", in general, you would want to have the J1772 adapter that comes standard with the car, and the mobile connector that comes standard with the car (if you plan on staying at a friends house or something).

Other needs are going to be specific to you, where you are going, etc. Lots of people think they need to carry every available adapter under the moon with them "just in case" and in general thats not needed. With that being said, if you are the adventurous type, and go out of range of charging often in whatever it is you like to do normally, you would want to look into charging at those locations (cabins / skiing, hiking, etc etc).

Its pretty normal to be confused in this situation, so dont worry too much about it.

For us to tell you definitively what you might need as far as your condo charging situation, you could take a picture of it and post it. Thats probably not necessary though, as long as its a "EV wall connector for regular EVs", we can make an educated guess.

Non Tesla EVs in the US typically use a standard called J1772. Its different than Teslas proprietary connector, but every model 3 comes with an adapter to adapt a j1772 adapter to the tesla one needed to charge your car.

I dont know how it works in Canada, however (if J1772 is standard up there), but I havent seen anyone from Canada say different (unlike Europe, which does use different connectors in general).

So, the short version of "do I need to buy something additional to charge at my condo because it already has a wall connector I can use" should be " no, but take a picture of the wall connector and we can verify.

As far as your second question, "when you are on the road, what do you need", in general, you would want to have the J1772 adapter that comes standard with the car, and the mobile connector that comes standard with the car (if you plan on staying at a friends house or something).

Other needs are going to be specific to you, where you are going, etc. Lots of people think they need to carry every available adapter under the moon with them "just in case" and in general thats not needed. With that being said, if you are the adventurous type, and go out of range of charging often in whatever it is you like to do normally, you would want to look into charging at those locations (cabins / skiing, hiking, etc etc).
Thank you so much! That clears up my confusion :) I will take a picture of the charging station when I get a chance!

Reactions: jjrandorin
Having a 14-50 adapter lets you charge at RV parks, as that outlet is used by RVers. I also use a T-30 plug for some trailer parks, and a dryer plug in case I'm needing to charge at a relative's home on their dryer outlet.

But really, for my first electric road trip there were hardly any chargers at all, as I remember, only one in all of California. We did a lot of charging at RV parks. That is no longer the case. Now it seems everyone has Tesla chargers or RV outlets.

You don't need a special charger other than a couple plugs. The 14-50 will handle most of your needs. You could find out what outlets your condo has and compare them at home depot, where they have a wide selection of outlets and plugs. Buy a few 14-50 outlets and then wire them with 6-3 w/ground to various common plugs for using at weird places. I'm sure there are places you could find detailed directions, but I've always made my own.

Reactions: android04 and kakao
Having a 14-50 adapter lets you charge at RV parks, as that outlet is used by RVers. I also use a T-30 plug for some trailer parks, and a dryer plug in case I'm needing to charge at a relative's home on their dryer outlet.

But really, for my first electric road trip there were hardly any chargers at all, as I remember, only one in all of California. We did a lot of charging at RV parks. That is no longer the case. Now it seems everyone has Tesla chargers or RV outlets.

You don't need a special charger other than a couple plugs. The 14-50 will handle most of your needs. You could find out what outlets your condo has and compare them at home depot, where they have a wide selection of outlets and plugs. Buy a few 14-50 outlets and then wire them with 6-3 w/ground to various common plugs for using at weird places. I'm sure there are places you could find detailed directions, but I've always made my own.

Thank you for the reply!

I agree with what @jjrandorin wrote; however, you might want to check Tesla's Supercharger map for the road-trip routes you typically traverse and cross-reference that with a site like PlugShare or A Better RoutePlanner (or just use one of these two sites, since either can filter for Superchargers). For PlugShare and ABRP, set up the filters so that they show CCS1 and CHAdeMO stations. Like Tesla's Superchargers, these are DC fast charger standards, meaning that they can charge a car quickly on a road trip. (This contrasts with the slower Level 1 or Level 2 charging you'll likely do at home or on public J1772 stations.) If you plan to go on road trips where Supercharger coverage is inadequate, but where CCS1 or CHAdeMO stations exist, you can buy an adapter to enable you to charge on one of these standards; however, there are some caveats....

Tesla used to sell a CHAdeMO adapter for US$400. It's limited to 50kW, which is slower than even the slowest Tesla Supercharger, at least when the car's state of charge (SoC) is low. Also, CHAdeMO is a fading standard in North America. Thus, you might want to hold off on buying a CHAdeMO adapter unless you're certain you'll need it fairly soon. In the past, the CHAdeMO adapter was usually out of stock in Tesla's store, and it seems to have been removed entirely, so if you're desperate to get one, you may have to resort to the used market. If so, be sure to buy a North American-spec adapter, since those sold in Europe won't work with North American Teslas. It's conceivable that Tesla will bring it back as an official product, too, but I know of no official word from Tesla on why they removed it from their online store.

A third-party company called Setec sells a CCS1 adapter for North American Teslas. The current price from the North American distributor (Lectron) is US$564. Tesla has disabled it at least once, claiming a safety flaw -- namely, it's possible to unplug the adapter without de-powering the charger first, which could result in injury or damage to the car, adapter, or fast charging station. The last I heard, it was functional with the latest firmware, but I can't really recommend buying one unless you're desperate to use CCS1 stations. Also, it's limited to 50kW (although the hardware is capable of handling up to 80kW, and there's a small chance that speed will be unlocked by future upgrades to the Tesla's and/or Setec's firmware). CCS1 has beaten out CHAdeMO as the non-Tesla DC fast charging standard, so going forward, there are likely to be more new CCS1 than CHAdeMO installations.

Tesla has recently begun selling its own CCS1-to-Tesla adapter, but only in South Korea. AFAIK, nobody has yet managed to test one in North America, and there's considerable debate/speculation about whether it will work with North American Teslas. It seems likely that Tesla will begin selling it in North America eventually, but it might not work with all Teslas and/or it might require hardware upgrades to the car to work. IIRC, the price in Korea translates to about US$250, and it should support speeds slightly in excess of 100kW. Thus, if and when Tesla begins selling it here in North America, it will be the best adapter if you need to charge at a non-Tesla DC fast charger. If you expect that a CCS1/CHAdeMO adapter will be useful, but you don't need one right away, it's probably best to wait and hope that Tesla brings this product to North America in time to meet your needs.

DC fast charging, whether it's at a Supercharger, CHAdeMO, or CCS1 station, is mostly important for road trips; however, if you discover that your condo's "EV charging" solution is a simple 120v outlet, you might end up relying on DC fast charging for at least some day-to-day use. If so, then finding one near you will be important. It's best for you to post back with photos of what's available to you before going too far down that speculative path, though.

I agree with what @jjrandorin wrote; however, you might want to check Tesla's Supercharger map for the road-trip routes you typically traverse and cross-reference that with a site like PlugShare or A Better RoutePlanner (or just use one of these two sites, since either can filter for Superchargers). For PlugShare and ABRP, set up the filters so that they show CCS1 and CHAdeMO stations. Like Tesla's Superchargers, these are DC fast charger standards, meaning that they can charge a car quickly on a road trip. (This contrasts with the slower Level 1 or Level 2 charging you'll likely do at home or on public J1772 stations.) If you plan to go on road trips where Supercharger coverage is inadequate, but where CCS1 or CHAdeMO stations exist, you can buy an adapter to enable you to charge on one of these standards; however, there are some caveats....

Tesla used to sell a CHAdeMO adapter for US$400. It's limited to 50kW, which is slower than even the slowest Tesla Supercharger, at least when the car's state of charge (SoC) is low. Also, CHAdeMO is a fading standard in North America. Thus, you might want to hold off on buying a CHAdeMO adapter unless you're certain you'll need it fairly soon. In the past, the CHAdeMO adapter was usually out of stock in Tesla's store, and it seems to have been removed entirely, so if you're desperate to get one, you may have to resort to the used market. If so, be sure to buy a North American-spec adapter, since those sold in Europe won't work with North American Teslas. It's conceivable that Tesla will bring it back as an official product, too, but I know of no official word from Tesla on why they removed it from their online store.

A third-party company called Setec sells a CCS1 adapter for North American Teslas. The current price from the North American distributor (Lectron) is US$564. Tesla has disabled it at least once, claiming a safety flaw -- namely, it's possible to unplug the adapter without de-powering the charger first, which could result in injury or damage to the car, adapter, or fast charging station. The last I heard, it was functional with the latest firmware, but I can't really recommend buying one unless you're desperate to use CCS1 stations. Also, it's limited to 50kW (although the hardware is capable of handling up to 80kW, and there's a small chance that speed will be unlocked by future upgrades to the Tesla's and/or Setec's firmware). CCS1 has beaten out CHAdeMO as the non-Tesla DC fast charging standard, so going forward, there are likely to be more new CCS1 than CHAdeMO installations.

Tesla has recently begun selling its own CCS1-to-Tesla adapter, but only in South Korea. AFAIK, nobody has yet managed to test one in North America, and there's considerable debate/speculation about whether it will work with North American Teslas. It seems likely that Tesla will begin selling it in North America eventually, but it might not work with all Teslas and/or it might require hardware upgrades to the car to work. IIRC, the price in Korea translates to about US$250, and it should support speeds slightly in excess of 100kW. Thus, if and when Tesla begins selling it here in North America, it will be the best adapter if you need to charge at a non-Tesla DC fast charger. If you expect that a CCS1/CHAdeMO adapter will be useful, but you don't need one right away, it's probably best to wait and hope that Tesla brings this product to North America in time to meet your needs.

DC fast charging, whether it's at a Supercharger, CHAdeMO, or CCS1 station, is mostly important for road trips; however, if you discover that your condo's "EV charging" solution is a simple 120v outlet, you might end up relying on DC fast charging for at least some day-to-day use. If so, then finding one near you will be important. It's best for you to post back with photos of what's available to you before going too far down that speculative path, though.
Thanks for the reply. Very helpful information :)

Just adding to my original post:
I got an electrician to come in to install a wall connector at my parent's house.
The house's main breaker size is 200A and the electrician is installing '1, 2 pole 40 amp breaker'.
Would this support the 44 miles/hr charging listed on the Tesla website for my Model 3 LR?

Thanks in advance!

I got an electrician to come in to install a wall connector at my parent's house.
The house's main breaker size is 200A and the electrician is installing '1, 2 pole 40 amp breaker'.
Would this support the 44 miles/hr charging listed on the Tesla website for my Model 3 LR?

Thanks in advance!

No, it will not support 44 miles per hour charging speed. On that same website, tesla has a chart to give you approximate charging speed for amp input:

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 7.30.05 AM.png

On this chart, find the 40amp breaker size, see that it charges at 32amps (due to code only allowing 80% of capacity to be used for a continuous load), and follow the row and see that for a model 3 that will be approximately 30 "miles per hour" charging speed.

In order to get "44 miles per hour" you will need a 60amp breaker / capacity to install such / appropriate wiring etc so that it can run at 48amps.

• Love
Reactions: kakao
No, it will not support 44 miles per hour charging speed. On that same website, tesla has a chart to give you approximate charging speed for amp input:

View attachment 729252

On this chart, find the 40amp breaker size, see that it charges at 32amps (due to code only allowing 80% of capacity to be used for a continuous load), and follow the row and see that for a model 3 that will be approximately 30 "miles per hour" charging speed.

In order to get "44 miles per hour" you will need a 60amp breaker / capacity to install such / appropriate wiring etc so that it can run at 48amps.
Wow thank you so much!

View attachment 729252

To add extra confusion, a 40 Amp outlet is 100% fine and the most you can charge over the cord that comes with the car (also known as the Tesla Mobile Connector) with the correct adapter. If you have a 50 Amp outlet the car will charge at the same as a 40 Amp because that is all the mobile connector allows.

To get the 44 mph / 60 Amp you MUST use the Tesla Wall Connector which can be wired at up to 60 Amps and will then pull a continuous 48 Amp draw. This is the hard wired wall mounted charger that you buy from Tesla and have installed by an electrician as opposed to the cord that comes with the car.

But don't let any of that deter you. 40 Amps is plenty for almost anyone under any scenario. You can easily charge overnight. I only use a 30 Amp outlet and before I installed that I was actually just using a normal 15 Amp 120 volt outlet which was very slow, but still was enough to keep the car full every day.

To add extra confusion, a 40 Amp outlet is 100% fine and the most you can charge over the cord that comes with the car (also known as the Tesla Mobile Connector. If you have a 50 Amp outlet the car will charge at the same as a 40 Amp because that is all the mobile connector allows.

To get the 44 mph / 60 Amp you MUST use the Tesla Wall Connector which can be wired at up to 60 Amps and will then pull a continuous 48 Amp draw.

But don't let any of that deter you. 40 Amps is plenty for almost anyone under any scenario. You can easily charge overnight. I only use a 30 Amp outlet and before I installed that I was actually just using a normal 15 Amp 120 volt outlet which was very slow, but still was enough to keep the car full every day.

Thats all true, but this OP said :

So it sounds to me like they have a wall connector installed already, but the electrician installed a 40amp circuit. FWIW, I agree with you about the fact that its likely not going to be an issue (unless the OP doesnt only visits the parents sometimes and wants to charge there as fast as possible when they visit or something).

As for why "only" a 40amp circuit was installed by the electrician, that could be because there wasnt capacity, or because they didnt specify (called lowest bid and thats what they installed for the price quoted), etc.

Thats all true, but this OP said :

So it sounds to me like they have a wall connector installed already, but the electrician installed a 40amp circuit. FWIW, I agree with you about the fact that its likely not going to be an issue (unless the OP doesnt only visits the parents sometimes and wants to charge there as fast as possible when they visit or something).

As for why "only" a 40amp circuit was installed by the electrician, that could be because there wasnt capacity, or because they didnt specify (called lowest bid and thats what they installed for the price quoted), etc.
Oh somehow I missed that - good catch

It is a bit of a mess, but charging comes down to three "levels":
-- Level 1 is basic 120V A/C charging, which is universally available (just plug into any standard 120V outlet) but VERY slow.
-- Level 2 Is 240V A/C charging, which is much faster, but can still be several hours to 90% charge.
-- DC fast charging (sometimes called level 3) is the fastest way to charge (20-40 mins to 90% charge), but can only be done at special chargers.

Your model 3 comes with a portable charging adapter/cable that can be used for level 1 and 2 charging. This cable is modular, and has different adapters to connect to a variety of wall outlets. It comes with a basic 120V adapter (level 1) so you can plug it into any standard outlet (US/Canada). It may also come with other adapters in Canada, but you can purchase additional adapters from Tesla (for example, in the US, a 14/50 adapter common for electric dryers gives you level 2 charging). The "car end" of the cable has the standard (proprietary) Tesla power connector that plugs directly into the car. This sounds far more complex than it is; once you get the car you will take one look at the cable and realize how it works :)

In addition to the portable charging cable your car will also come with a "J1772 adapter". J1772 (also called CCS) is a North American standard for level 2 charging, and most non-Tesla EVs use this as the "car end" connector (instead of the proprietary Tesla connector). The adapter itself is a small sleeve that accepts the J1772 connector at the back and provides a Tesla connector at the front, so you can plug the car into any commercial level 2 charger for charging (there are several commercial charger networks in North America, not sure which ones are in Canada).

You can of course use the Tesla portable cable to charge your car at home, but many people choose to install a dedicated level 2 charger at home for convenience. Tesla sell one, it just plugs directly into the car. You can also buy 3rd party home chargers (these all need professional installation), but the 3rd party chargers use J1772 connectors, so in this case you will need to use the J1772 adapter when plugging the car in.

Tesla superchargers use DC fast charging, and all you have to do is drive up and plug the car in .. no adapters etc necessary, and any $$ charges are handled automatically via your Tesla account. There are also a growing number of commercial DC fast charger networks being built, and these use either a CCS2 "car end" connector (a bigger version of CCS) or (less commonly) a CHADEMO connector. Most require that you create an account with the network before you can use them. At present, you cannot get an adapter for CCS2, so you cannot fast charge a Tesla at these locations. You can buy a (bulky) CHADEMO adapter, but there are far fewer CHADEMO locations.

It's all a bit bewildering, but basically, to start, just use the portable charging cable at home, and use superchargers when traveling. At a pinch, use the supplied J1772 adapter at a commercial level 2 charger if you need to top up (lots are located at malls, so you can charge while shopping). Later you might want to install a home charger to get level 2 home charging (and dont have to haul out the portable cable every day) .. this way your car will be fully charged every day and you wont ever think about charging except on long trips.

HTH

• Love
Reactions: kakao

Thanks in advance!

When you say a "wall connector" do you mean the Tesla branded EVSE ("charger"), or do you mean an outlet/receptacle? If it's the latter, did they say what type of plug spec? N-something?

I'd like to second this opinion. I have a Clipper Creek HCS-40 EVSE, which I had installed when I leased a Chevy Volt a few years ago. The HCS-40 can charge at 32A, which is overkill for a Chevy Volt, but I figured I'd future-proof the EVSE. With my Model 3 LR RWD, the HCS-40 can't charge at the car's full rate, but I've never (in 2.5 years of ownership) found that to be a problem. There have been a couple of times when I've plugged in and then had to leave before charging was complete, but I've always had more than enough range for my needs.
My impression is that most EVSEs today are 32A units that require 40A circuits. Thus, the electrician might have assumed this to be the case for Tesla's Wall Connector, too. Any explanation is speculative at this point, though. If this is an issue that bothers @kakao, then calling the electrician for an explanation, and perhaps even to re-do the work, may be in order. This would likely incur extra costs, though. Even if the electrician were willing to do the work for free, the wire to support a higher rate of charge would cost more than the existing wire, and I don't know if it would be legal or practical for the electrician to re-use the already-installed wire elsewhere. Similar comments apply to the higher-capacity breaker. Thus, there would be materials costs that somebody -- probably the customer -- would have to absorb. Personally, I'd just chalk this up to a learning experience and not worry about it, since upgrading to a higher-capacity installation would most likely provide no significant benefits, even in the future. Future cars might support faster charge rates, but the charge speed (in miles of range per hour of charging) will be the same in the future, assuming equal energy efficiency. So if a Cybertruck is in your future, the charge speed for it will be lower than for a Model 3, but even then it's not likely to be so much lower as to make 32A charging too great a burden.

That said, the Tesla Wall Connector has an internal adjustment to set the maximum amperage it can deliver. It might be worth double-checking that this is set correctly. If the car is a Long Range Model 3 or Y, or (I think) any S or X, then plugging the car in and checking the amperage being delivered will verify this. If the car reports 32A, then the Wall Connector is set correctly. If it reports anything higher than that, then the switch in the Wall Connector is set incorrectly. If this is the case, stop charging immediately and either fix it yourself (the instruction manual should say how) or call the electrician back to do it. If the car is a Standard Range 3 or Y, then the car's maximum charge rate is 32A, so this test won't work; you'll need to open the Wall Connector to check it or bring in a Tesla with a higher maximum charge rate. If the car tries to charge at too high a rate, then in theory the circuit breaker should trip; but if it's defective, the wire could overheat and cause a fire. (This isn't likely to happen right away, so testing with your car for a few seconds should be safe, even if the Wall Connector is misconfigured.) Thus, double-checking this detail is worth doing. I'm only suggesting this test because it's possible the electrician wasn't paying attention to the Tesla Wall Connector's capabilities and installation instructions, in which case the internal switch might not have been set correctly. If the electrician just provided a low bid to win the contract, or had some other reason to install a 40A circuit, but did read the instructions, then chances are everything's fine.

NEMA 14-50 outlet and the corresponding adapter for the UMC which comes for free with the car.
The UMC supports only 32A max which would be around 28 miles to 30 miles/ hour charging at home ... which is *plenty* when you park it overnight. or charge a few hours every day.

I think if I were the OP, I'd still call and just ask why the 40a vs. a 50a.

Around here, it's usually a 30a for a dryer or a 50a for a 14-50 or 6-50 (I realize the TWC doesn't "plug in" so to speak).

If it's just changing a breaker** and there's no electrical concern, it seems like leaving 6 miles/hour on the table since the EVSE is capable. Heck, I went through the packaging, shipping gyrations to return a 32a charger for a 40a, just to pick up that little extra capacity (I originally got a 32a for our 4xe)

** Does the TWC connect directly to the breaker vs. using some kind of jumper or such? i.e., would there be anything else between the breaker and the TMC that might also have to be replaced?

The J1772 adapter that comes with the car is all you need. On the road you will be charging at Tesla Superchargers which use the Tesla plug. Tesla is planning on offering a CCS adapter, it's already available in Korea and they've said they are bringing it to the US but they didn't say when. When it's available you might want to buy one and throw in into your frunk where it will sit unused, that's my plan because I like to have a contingency plan. Supercharger coverage is far better than CCS charger coverage and Superchargers are much more reliable which is why you would only go to a CCS charger if you had no other choice.