Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Not Buy “HEPA” Cabin Air Filters for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, these are garbage. They have "granules" of charcoal, which you visually able to see. The problem is that they are not the right density, and these filters a) let in the gasoline fumes (just follow an 80's or 90's car, or a "ricer" car). 2) they stink up earlier than properly made filters (available from Tesla). I found German-made filters are the best.
FYI the OEM filters are made in Germany. They are a rebrand of the Purolator PBC41506, which is also made in Germany (supposedly in same factory):
https://www.amazon.com/Purolator-PBC41506-PurolatorBOSS-Premium-Freshness/dp/B08DBRXW81/

At $26 for a two pack, they are slightly less than the $17 each of the OEM.
https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3_y-air-filter

I've had no problems with the Temai (now Vion) "HEPA N98" filters. I'm on my second set in the car and have no complaints. They seem to be good quality and I like that they include the necessary tools and instructions in the package. They definitely haven't fallen apart.

With that said, I don't necessarily trust that they are HEPA or "N98." I have no way to test them scientifically.

What should i ask for when ordering service from Tesla for my 2020 Model 3 'cabin' filter. What is entailed and any estimate on the cost. Would i do better going to the service station 20 miles away or having the work done at my residence?

Should i take it to the service center if i want the replacement done for me. Make an appointment thru my cell?
You can request an air filter change in the service request part of the app. It is under Interior > Cabin Air Filter. The service center nearest you will either schedule a mobile service appointment at your home (where they will install it for you) or will schedule you to take it in.

Just don't go to the shop section, that section is just for buying the filters yourself.

Reactions: brjr
No need to go to service station. I just had this (cabin air filter change) performed in my garage by a Tesla Mobile tech earlier this week. I scheduled it through the app on my phone. Couldn’t be easier, faster. And I screwed up neither my back nor my car. This was the 3rd time I’ve had this done in my five years of ownership. No other option is better for me. Cost was $54 including two filters and labor, plus state tax.

You can request an air filter change in the service request part of the app. It is under Interior > Cabin Air Filter. The service center nearest you will either schedule a mobile service appointment at your home (where they will install it for you) or will schedule you to take it in.

Just don't go to the shop section, that section is just for buying the filters yourself.
Reply appreciated. Will follow your advice.

Interesting, I found both the original filters and my 3rd-party replacements, let in outside odors, whether diesel fumes or skunk smells, etc. In fact, it's the worst at letting in foul odors of any car I've ever owned. I figured it was the way the air inlet was designed, by putting the inlet in the right front wheel well, the low pressure zone sucks in the outside air, including odors, and it goes right in the cabin.
Anyone that also has a Model Y and commonly around those specific smells to compare, does its better filtration block out those smells specifically?
Shame the Model 3 didn't get the same level of filtration when conceived of...

Wonder if they will likely address that detail and make a revision on highland? Seems to be a popular and desirable feature.

Anyone that also has a Model Y and commonly around those specific smells to compare, does its better filtration block out those smells specifically?

Wonder if they will likely address that detail and make a revision on highland? Seems to be a popular and desirable feature.
To allow proper airflow, the HEPA is huge. It’s a matter of finding space for it under the hood. The S has a HEPA, smells still come through.

I'm not surprised it's not in M3. If all the good features are available in M3, nobody would buy the more expensive Teslas.

I'm just grateful M3 has gotten the features it does have.

that is my exact concern haha. I am guilty of waiting too long to order something, and next day deliveries have made my habit of procrastination even worse. Buying OEM from Tesla appears to the the correct solution, but I also would like to have the filter by the weekend.
You should be able to pick up a pair at the nearest Tesla service center parts window. I’d suggest calling first o see if (a) they have them and (b) will hold or allow you to pre-pay to hold a pair. (b) hopefully will ensure they’ll be there when you arrive to get them.

Hi,
Had a Tesla engineer at our house a few months back to do a small warranty job - he advised to stick with OE filter and he told me many of the 3rd party ones are causing problems.
Tesla will supply and fit one at our house for a reasonable price - so that is what I will be doing when mine needs changing.
Cheers
Steve
Steve do you know how much it costs to have the air filters replaced by Tesla?

Steve do you know how much it costs to have the air filters replaced by Tesla?
I can’t answer for Steve but it cost me $54 last month, work done in my garage. That includes labor and two new filters, disposal of the old filters, and some friendly conversation. So, equivalent to lunch for 4 at the fast food outlet of your choice. Or as I prefer to think, three top notch hand-crafted martinis at an upscale local bar.

Upon doing my research, some says that its 2yrs before you replace your filter…..how come that i havent hit my 1yr yet and i can already smell fouls odor on my A/C?
Yeah, I live in the south. Had smell problems after 1 week of ownership. It's very disheartening. Only lessens in intensity with extreme dry hot weather, and then it comes back strong with just a tiny bit of humidity in the air.