Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Not Buy “HEPA” Cabin Air Filters for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was doing my annual maintenance on my cabin air filter and discovered that the “HEPA” type filter I bought on Amazon was disintegrating inside my cabin air filter compartment.

The type of filter I purchased is quite common on Amazon and goes by many different brands. The one I purchased is by a brand called “Basenor”.

Do not use this type of filter as the foam around the filter can disintegrate and create a mess you can’t clean up because the cabin air filter compartment is not easy to clean. It’s a huge design flaw and the manufacturers behind this product do not want to acknowledge their flaw. Please stick to the OEM style Tesla paper filters.

See the pictures attached.

Attachments

• IMG_4285.jpeg
    IMG_4285.jpeg
    416.5 KB · Views: 784
  • IMG_4286.jpeg
    IMG_4286.jpeg
    545 KB · Views: 604
I would like someone to test these aftermarket filters that claim to be HEPA, to see if they even come close to the the filtration standard for a HEPA filter.
…and also test the impact of these filters on air flow. If reduced, what’s the effect on blower motor longevity and cooling/heating the vehicle effectively and quickly, defrosting the windshield, etc. For me, I’ve chosen to just use the Tesla filters at least until my area is declared a biohazard. Then I’ll likely just stay home.

Excellent warning and I feel for you having to repeat the job. It's no fun going through the filter change.

(I'm 75 with arthritis in both hand rated "moderate to severe" and will NOT change another set of cabin filters)

Agree with Don above about verifying the "HEPA" claim.

Reactions: beachmiles and Akr
I was doing my annual maintenance on my cabin air filter and discovered that the “HEPA” type filter I bought on Amazon was disintegrating inside my cabin air filter compartment.

The type of filter I purchased is quite common on Amazon and goes by many different brands. The one I purchased is by a brand called “Basenor”.

Do not use this type of filter as the foam around the filter can disintegrate and create a mess you can’t clean up because the cabin air filter compartment is not easy to clean. It’s a huge design flaw and the manufacturers behind this product do not want to acknowledge their flaw. Please stick to the OEM style Tesla paper filters.

See the pictures attached.
Although I make about 200 amazon purchases a year I've more or less learned to never use it for anything "important". Almost everything non-branded (with known brands) is garbage and it basically goes straight to the landfill. Anything like an air filter, safety glasses, brackets that you don't want to fail, etc. you have to buy branded, often from another web site.

Reactions: FatM3
Informative, but now I have to decide if I take out my filters to check them. They're not Basenor, but as OP notes, some OEM is making these and they get branded by lots of 3rd party resellers.