Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Not Buy “HEPA” Cabin Air Filters for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
good info here, i got my Car last year Nov and im about to change my filter as well, upon using the OEM filter, do you still need to use the kool it evaporator cleaner?

Attachments

• IMG_6156.jpeg
    IMG_6156.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 101
Upon doing my research, some says that its 2yrs before you replace your filter…..how come that i havent hit my 1yr yet and i can already smell fouls odor on my A/C?
Depends on your climate and usage.

I'm also in NJ and I've averaged about 18 months before I start noticing a smell. It's never been terrible smelling, just a slight funk. But a noticeable difference after replacement.

I just did my 3rd change on the older design and I've got it down to about 15 minutes not including drying time for the cleaner on the evaporator.

Reactions: Eugene Ash and v2m3

I had purchased this one, but I haven't installed it yet. Was waiting until it got stinky. Should I avoid using it? Is it the same type as yours? Thanks
Yes, these are garbage. They have "granules" of charcoal, which you visually able to see. The problem is that they are not the right density, and these filters a) let in the gasoline fumes (just follow an 80's or 90's car, or a "ricer" car). 2) they stink up earlier than properly made filters (available from Tesla). I found German-made filters are the best.

Excellent warning and I feel for you having to repeat the job. It's no fun going through the filter change.

(I'm 75 with arthritis in both hand rated "moderate to severe" and will NOT change another set of cabin filters)

Agree with Don above about verifying the "HEPA" claim.
I'm younger, but also with arthritis. It is quite an exercise to change these in model 3, and marginally easier in Model Y. Newer models at least have the torx bolt in the right place. Nevertheless, worth incenting a youngster/teenager to do these filter changes for a fee. Doable in 30 minutes start-to finish, with 15 minutes of cleaner soaking.

good info here, i got my Car last year Nov and im about to change my filter as well, upon using the OEM filter, do you still need to use the kool it evaporator cleaner?
Yes, scientifically confirmed by my wife's frequency of odor complaints. I even designed a dispenser for pushing Kool-It right into the evaporator core. Now we can go up to 6 mo between filter changes in humid PNW climate.

• Helpful
Reactions: Trilodroid and v2m3
if I read your somewhat unclear response correctly than no sir, that’s not correct.

We're in the Model 3 forum. Are we not? Why are you bringing up the model Y, which has another set of filters?

Watch this breakdown of what the whole heat pump system looks like

In the Model 3 the fan draws in air from 1. outside 2. by the passenger footwell if recirc is on. The air then gets blown through the cabin air filters and then the AC evaporator. In both modes the air gets through the air filters.

that is correct, or at least it is for the model y.

bullet 12 should clear that up.
Model Y uses a separate external HEPA filter, which the Model 3 does not have (since it doesn't have the space in the frunk).

You will note the Model 3 has no such filter mentioned in the manual:

The HEPA filter people are talking about here for the Model 3 are a drop in replacement of the internal cabin one. That one the recirculate most definitely goes through.

As such your post is highly misleading and irrelevant to the Model 3, presuming @fholbert was asking about that.

Yes, these are garbage. They have "granules" of charcoal, which you visually able to see. The problem is that they are not the right density, and these filters a) let in the gasoline fumes (just follow an 80's or 90's car, or a "ricer" car). 2) they stink up earlier than properly made filters (available from Tesla). I found German-made filters are the best.
Interesting, I found both the original filters and my 3rd-party replacements, let in outside odors, whether diesel fumes or skunk smells, etc. In fact, it's the worst at letting in foul odors of any car I've ever owned. I figured it was the way the air inlet was designed, by putting the inlet in the right front wheel well, the low pressure zone sucks in the outside air, including odors, and it goes right in the cabin.

I've only had to change my filters once in almost 5yrs; it's not nearly as humid nor hot in Maine. I'll look for German ones, and change it out to see if there's a difference.

Reactions: Eugene Ash
Whether the screw for the filter door is at the top or bottom, it is a pain to get to, unscrew/screw back in. I bought the thumb screw on Ebay for about $10, no tools needed.