Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Not Understand Tesla Rationale for Why There is No Sirius/XM in Model 3 or Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me, the big problem of not have SiriusXM in my Y is that I only get streaming/cell phone service about half the time here in the Catskills where I live and work. So half the time I have no music. That sucks! Alexa, iPhone, etc. work arounds won't get me reception. This is not a cost issue, all Tesla had to do was to install a phone plug and I'ld be good to go. This, together with the poor range in cold weather will have me selling the Y and getting a better electric car. Too bad, as everything else is great about the car, imho.
You can place a SiriusXM receiver in the Tesla Model Y that uses FM or BT audio streaming to send SXM programming to the Tesla's audio system.

To me, the big problem of not have SiriusXM in my Y is that I only get streaming/cell phone service about half the time here in the Catskills where I live and work. So half the time I have no music. That sucks! Alexa, iPhone, etc. work arounds won't get me reception. This is not a cost issue, all Tesla had to do was to install a phone plug and I'ld be good to go. This, together with the poor range in cold weather will have me selling the Y and getting a better electric car. Too bad, as everything else is great about the car, imho.
I second this! Cell is fine, when it works. I too travel to many places that do not have cell and have to "suffer" in silence.

Reactions: bluesfanatic
I prefer spotify. You can instantly listen to any artist and no commercials or DJs. Sirius XM needs to Siriusly GTFO. JK. But seriously, try spotify.
You can't stream, listen to any of the following services when there is no cellular phone signal: Spotify, Amazon Music, Apple Music, SiriusXM (via the phone app or Alexa app) Pandora, TuneIn, etc. You may be able to receive the Sirius/XM satellite signal in locations where cell coverage is unreliable or unavailable. This requires a SiriusXM receiver in the Tesla vehicle and a small magnetic mount SiriusXM antenna placed on the outside of the vehicle and of course a SiriusXM account.

Didn't know that.
Are you able to pick an artist or song and stream that specific song?
I'm not sure. The On Demand feature is intended for listening to SiriusXM content when internet or satellite reception is unavailable as on an airplane.

Bottom line, do you have any idea how fanatical some Howard Stern fans are about being able to tune into Howard's SiriusXM channel?

So I guess Spotify is better in that part where you can just pick an artist or song and play right away.
Any of the internet based streaming services (Spotify, Amazon Music, Apple Music, Tidal) will let you pick an artist, album or song. Sirius Satellite Radio and XM Satellite Radio, later merged to become SiriusXM. Originally Sirius and XM would program content (Music, News, Sports) organize these into different channels. SiriusXM programs the content based on the decade, artist or musical genre. SiriusXM now has the ability to create customized listening programming based on your preferences, so it is more likely to play artists and music you enjoy. (I never liked SiriusXM satellite radio enough to be willing to pay for the service. I always terminated my subscription after the trial membership period ended. SiriusXM always finds a way to play America, A Horse With No Name, on any SiriusXM channel I might enjoy. This makes me crazy the way the Carz4Kids radio commercial drives me to change the station.

Any of the internet based streaming services (Spotify, Amazon Music, Apple Music, Tidal) will let you pick an artist, album or song. Sirius Satellite Radio and XM Satellite Radio, later merged to become SiriusXM. Originally Sirius and XM would program content (Music, News, Sports) organize these into different channels. SiriusXM programs the content based on the decade, artist or musical genre. SiriusXM now has the ability to create customized listening programming based on your preferences, so it is more likely to play artists and music you enjoy. (I never liked SiriusXM satellite radio enough to be willing to pay for the service. I always terminated my subscription after the trial membership period ended. SiriusXM always finds a way to play America, A Horse With No Name, on any SiriusXM channel I might enjoy. This makes me crazy the way the Carz4Kids radio commercial drives me to change the station.
This is a very superficial and not very accurate description of SXM. There are lots of different channels, organized in lots of different ways (not just “decade, artist, or musical genre”), which provides lots of variety. You may prefer to pick “an artist, album, or song”, and sometimes I do too, but other times I want to listen to a wide variety of different songs, some of which I may never have heard before or not be familiar with the artist. Sometimes I enjoy the value and dare I say showmanship that the knowledgeable DJs bring to the songs, especially on channels like Underground Garage. SXM may not be your cup of tea, but they apparently are doing something right for many others, including me and others who have posted in this thread, and Tesla’s refusal (so far) to provide a first-party solution for listening to SXM in the M3/Y is a significant negative for some.

And I can guarantee you that the Underground Garage has never played “A Horse With No Name.” :cool:

Now that sucks: Model S 2021+ got SiriusXM app on the last update, but 3/Y not? I don't get it.

@alekaras that one is easy to clarify: the Model S has the hardware to receive and process SiriusXM signals, where 3/Y does not. Previous S/X had the feature already, and 2021 had the hardware but was temporarily lacking the software side.

@alekaras that one is easy to clarify: the Model S has the hardware to receive and process SiriusXM signals, where 3/Y does not. Previous S/X had the feature already, and 2021 had the hardware but was temporarily lacking the software side.
What do you all think are the chances that Tesla will "unlock" sirius XM on the Y and 3 exposing hidden hardware that was there but unknown? Is there a telltale piece of hardware that would need to be there like a shark fin antenna on the roof? I don't know if that's the only form of antenna that works or not. I don't see any evidence of one on the S or X but they can receive it.

I lay this challenge at the feet of the newest Y owners to look around for any indication of an antenna! I currently have XM at $6/mo but am cancelling now because it's not in the Y. Would love to have that option...

Reactions: Pianewman
What do you all think are the chances that Tesla will "unlock" sirius XM on the Y and 3 exposing hidden hardware that was there but unknown? Is there a telltale piece of hardware that would need to be there like a shark fin antenna on the roof? I don't know if that's the only form of antenna that works or not. I don't see any evidence of one on the S or X but they can receive it.

I lay this challenge at the feet of the newest Y owners to look around for any indication of an antenna! I currently have XM at $6/mo but am cancelling now because it's not in the Y. Would love to have that option...
I suspect the chances of hidden satellite radio reception hardware in the 3/Y is betweven slim and none, and Slim just left town :cool:

I upgraded to unlimited data on my phone and have been streaming SXM; adequate but nowhere near as convenient as a built in SXM app would be. But I confess I like streaming better than actual satellite reception most of the time, especially when sitting under overpasses!

We'd know by now if hardware were hidden somewhere.

Easy to stream through my phone. Addicted to Radio Classics, especially the BS commercials that paved the way for modern hyperbolic largely unregulated false advertising (vitamins, weight loss, supplements, etc. etc. )

Reactions: CapsEngineer
I know this isn’t a big deal for some, but it is for me. On every Acura, BMW, Mercedes, and Audi I have owned since 2008, they all have Sirius/XM radio. When I travel and rent cars, they all have Sirius XM. So why this is excluded from the Model 3 and Y is beyond me. I’ve read about all the different ways to use your phone or install a cheap XM receiver but quite frankly it’s a lot of brain damage. Does anyone know the real reason Tesla puts XM radio receiver in Model S/X but not 3/Y ?

I am considering a Y to replace an Audi SQ5, and the interior quality of the Y is a bit of a turn off. The size of the etron is too big and the range of the etron and etron 4 are a turn off. I’ll probably bite the bullet and buy the Y, but it would make some of the interior quality and fit and finish issues of the Y more palatable if I could have Sirius XM.
I think XM radio shines where there's no data or radio signal. A lot of people will disagree with me but Tesla is meant as a daily commuter car in the city. It's not a true road trip car.

I think XM radio shines where there's no data or radio signal. A lot of people will disagree with me but Tesla is meant as a daily commuter car in the city. It's not a true road trip car.
Spoken like a true newbie. The MY is an amazing road trip car, and I've travelled coast to coast several times in ICE vehicles, literally 10s of thousands of miles of road trips.
MY-user: It will be interesting to note if you change your mind after you've had more time in the car. ;)

Spoken like a true newbie. The MY is an amazing road trip car, and I've travelled coast to coast several times in ICE vehicles, literally 10s of thousands of miles of road trips.
MY-user: It will be interesting to note if you change your mind after you've had more time in the car. ;)
I cannot wait to get my MY. I hope the car will prove me wrong :)

I gotta chime in here. I love road trips and while my MY is my favorite road trip car so far, one failing is depending on cell service for music (the other is the clearance).
Very often, where I travel the cell service is "sketchy", the music cuts out and then once I get service back, the music has a hard time reconnecting. Nine times out of 10 I have to force the music player to forward to the next song,

While XM does cut out occasionally, it's nowhere near the cell service cutting out.

I've got an XM receiver in my MY but I'd much rather have one native to the vehicle.