Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Not Understand Tesla Rationale for Why There is No Sirius/XM in Model 3 or Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t understand all of the comments regarding losing cell service and having your music cut out.. Does anyone else download their playlist to their phone? I could be without cell service for hours, and still have music.

Not sure how you'd download an XM station....

@DanDi58 at least some programming is available on-demand in the app. For example, I use the app to download Howard Stern Show episodes and listen to them offline either through my headphones at home or through the MY when I'm doing errands. I'm not sure if/how that translates to music stations as I'm only a subscriber for Howard and only ever dabbled with a few music channels in the past in my SiriusXM-equipped previous vehicle but never really took to the experience.

@DanDi58 at least some programming is available on-demand in the app. For example, I use the app to download Howard Stern Show episodes and listen to them offline either through my headphones at home or through the MY when I'm doing errands. I'm not sure if/how that translates to music stations as I'm only a subscriber for Howard and only ever dabbled with a few music channels in the past in my SiriusXM-equipped previous vehicle but never really took to the experience.
Well, you can't download a music station and live stream it. Perhaps there is an off-line option but I only use it to stream music, and haven't had any issues with coverage.

I gotta chime in here. I love road trips and while my MY is my favorite road trip car so far, one failing is depending on cell service for music (the other is the clearance).
Very often, where I travel the cell service is "sketchy", the music cuts out and then once I get service back, the music has a hard time reconnecting. Nine times out of 10 I have to force the music player to forward to the next song,

While XM does cut out occasionally, it's nowhere near the cell service cutting out.

I've got an XM receiver in my MY but I'd much rather have one native to the vehicle.
My experience is exactly the opposite. I'm on the east coast and when Sirius and XM merged our reception became extremely spotty. To the point that reception was much better in the winter because when the trees have leaves they block the signal. Very, very frustrating. Even in the winter, spotty reception but better than the summer. At the time I was told by Sirius/XM tech support that it was an east coast problem and was due to the position of the satellites.

Compared to Sirius/XM the Tesla streaming is dramatically more reliable.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I know this isn’t a big deal for some, but it is for me. On every Acura, BMW, Mercedes, and Audi I have owned since 2008, they all have Sirius/XM radio. When I travel and rent cars, they all have Sirius XM. So why this is excluded from the Model 3 and Y is beyond me. I’ve read about all the different ways to use your phone or install a cheap XM receiver but quite frankly it’s a lot of brain damage. Does anyone know the real reason Tesla puts XM radio receiver in Model S/X but not 3/Y ?

I am considering a Y to replace an Audi SQ5, and the interior quality of the Y is a bit of a turn off. The size of the etron is too big and the range of the etron and etron 4 are a turn off. I’ll probably bite the bullet and buy the Y, but it would make some of the interior quality and fit and finish issues of the Y more palatable if I could have Sirius XM.
I'm sure it's a price thing. On the flip side, a neighbor just bought a new BMW and had to spend a fortune to add things that are standard on the Tesla. For instance, no entry level navigation is available, need the $750 Live Cockpit Pro upgrade. Power tailgate, $250. Heated front seats, $500. Park distance control, $200. Blacked out trim (Shadowline), $400. Basic active safety features (Driving Assistance Package), $700. Keyless entry and driver's lumbar support (Convenience Package), $650, and on and on...

I'm sure it's a price thing. On the flip side, a neighbor just bought a new BMW and had to spend a fortune to add things that are standard on the Tesla. For instance, no entry level navigation is available, need the $750 Live Cockpit Pro upgrade. Power tailgate, $250. Heated front seats, $500. Park distance control, $200. Blacked out trim (Shadowline), $400. Basic active safety features (Driving Assistance Package), $700. Keyless entry and driver's lumbar support (Convenience Package), $650, and on and on...
Exactly the reason I don’t like German carmakers. They nickel and dime you for every little thing there are.

BMW is notorious for nickel and diming people to death. Last I heard they were charging a monthly fee for the heated steering wheel. I bought an Audi A4 5 years ago and all those features were standard on the ’premium plus’ trim Line.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I suspect the chances of hidden satellite radio reception hardware in the 3/Y is betweven slim and none, and Slim just left town :cool:

I upgraded to unlimited data on my phone and have been streaming SXM; adequate but nowhere near as convenient as a built in SXM app would be. But I confess I like streaming better than actual satellite reception most of the time, especially when sitting under overpasses!
I hardly listen to music on SXM. Mostly news or sports. It angers me that Tesla thinks they can make my listening decisions better than me and reduce a premium car to a basic.

I hardly listen to music on SXM. Mostly news or sports. It angers me that Tesla thinks they can make my listening decisions better than me and reduce a premium car to a basic.
I was just on the build your own Mercedes site and SXM is a $460 option (includes six month Platinum membership). A garage door opener, a button on the bottom of the rear view mirror, is a $280 option. Wireless phone charger $200. Keyless entry, $550. Dash cam, $200. Basic emergency assist is part of a $1700 package.

BMW includes as standard an SXM radio as of 2021, prior to this year it was an optional accessory.

Maybe if Elon was friends with the CEO of Sirius/XM like he is with Jay-Z we could get the app added to the infotainment system. Apparently Musk's relationship with the aforementioned music mogul is the reason a Tidal app was recently added. Perhaps I'm an old fart but I had never even heard of Tidal until it was added to my car's software. I've streamed Sirius exclusively through the app on various smart devices seamlessly at home for years; an app in my vehicle is the one big enhancement I'm waiting for.

Probably costs too much to license the right to have it in the car. Just stream from the phone.
This is the actual answer to OP's question. Sirius and Tesla couldn't come to a business deal. (or the above, Musk had something to do with it or both)
I've gotten used to streaming on the app and the quality is much better anyway plus it's not another "vehicle" that they would charge you for, it's just the streaming service included in our other vehicles subscription.
I'm old school, I like DJs and humans picking music vs algorithms. Long live 1st Wave.

Yoko ruined hIm.