Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do the rear hatch speakers only come with premium sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, I assume you mean they make sound with the UHF configuration. The way I understand it is that the subwoofer and rear hatch speakers are absent with the standard sound package.

Yes exactly. I don't have them but when I first took delivery I got a loaner twice in a row that had the audio package and I was curious and listened to the extra speakers. The hatch ones definitely make sounds even with Dolby but the sound settings have been changing since 8.0.

It's too bad it is such a pain to disconnect all the other speakers or else you could turn everything off except for them and really crank the volume and see if they are actually on. Actually, that gives me a thought. When the fader is all the way back, only the rear door speakers and the hatch ones are active. Maybe they can disconnect just the rears and fade all the way back, for a test of the hatch ones.

It's too bad it is such a pain to disconnect all the other speakers or else you could turn everything off except for them and really crank the volume and see if they are actually on. Actually, that gives me a thought. When the fader is all the way back, only the rear door speakers and the hatch ones are active. Maybe they can disconnect just the rears and fade all the way back, for a test of the hatch ones.

The subwoofer will also be active with your fader set all the way to the rear but you can adjust your equalizer to remove the base that will silence the subwoofer. I've experimented with most of these things but you should be hearing those speakers in the hatch.

The extent in which people need to go to even know whether these speakers are making noise or not does beg the question: do they actually add to the audio experience?

As a practitioner of the scientific method, I usually take a skeptical eye to many things "audiophile". I suspect there's some minor benefit to folks in the back seats but my assumption would be they really just contribute to the overall decibels the system is capable of producing before unacceptable quality degradation sets in. Having owned both the standard audio and high fidelity systems, my heathen ears don't detect much if a difference with one, fairly large, exception. The included sub does materially contribute to the frequency range producible and does noticeably increase the enjoyment I get from the system.

Thanks @GWord. I think I will go to another SvC and see if they can fix my problem. Luckily I have two different SvCs within 20 miles. If I learn what the problem is, I will update the thread in case others have the issue
Follow up: So I finally went to a second Service Center in my area and they were able to fix my rear speaker issue in a couple of hour. Turned out the wires were loose! (took the original SC 4 days to tell me there was no problem even though no sound was coming from the hatch speakers... They told me that was normal... Whhhaaaatttt? ). Do I think the first SC is totally incompetent? Hmmmm.....

Follow up: So I finally went to a second Service Center in my area and they were able to fix my rear speaker issue in a couple of hour. Turned out the wires were loose! (took the original SC 4 days to tell me there was no problem even though no sound was coming from the hatch speakers... They told me that was normal... Whhhaaaatttt? ). Do I think the first SC is totally incompetent? Hmmmm.....
I just noticed that I am not getting any sound from my rear liftgate speakers either (but all other speakers work).
Thanks for posting this thread, as I now know what to look for before I go an bother the SvC (since my car is out of warranty anyway)...