TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Do the rear windows go up and down in the Model X?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by rogbmw, Sep 20, 2015.

1. rogbmw

rogbmw Member

Please pardon me if this has been discussed before. I was thinking about the rear (passenger) falcon wing doors on the Model X, and it came to me that I have never seen a picture of the rear doors with the windows open. I know this will be answered soon, but was thinking of some of the difficulties in doing this with the articulated falcon wing doors.

1. Windows move up and down on tracks to guide the windows. These tracks can be either frameless (no metal around the glass above the door beltline), or framed (metal surrounding the window edge and part of the door itself.

2. The Falcon wing doors articulate, or hinge somewhere in the area of the beltline (or bottom edge area of the lower part of the side window). This would make it necessary to have a hinged area below the glass area on the door with the window up. If the window does indeed move up and down, then this would cause two difficult issues - first the track holding the window and allowing it to slide up and down has to be hinged to allow it to articulate. Second - the attachment to the glass would have to allow for articulating/bending at the joint.

If the windows in the Falcon Wing doors do indeed go up and down, then Tesla had solved a very complex procedure to do so.

Anyone know this, or have any pictures of the windows down in a Model X.

2. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Dont know the answer, but I don't believe the doors hinge at the belt line as you you call it. Just at the top corner between the roof panel and side panel. So that's one less complication.

3. rabar10

rabar10 FFE until Model 3

I don't think this is the case. See the click-and-drag animation at Model X | Tesla Motors -- the second articulation point is at the top corner, above the window, so there's no reason the window can't travel up/down inside the door on a fixed track.

4. rogbmw

rogbmw Member

Thanks - I just looked at it again, and it does hinge above where the window ends, so my thought process was all wrong!

5. jbabb

jbabb Member

The renderings in the design studio show four window switches on the driver's door, so the back windows must go down.

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Good thread, my wife and I were wondering this today.

with that resolved, how about venting the glass above the rear passengers?

7. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

I bet it does and this is what we kept thinking was ill fitting falcon wing doors on the mules! ;-)

8. timf

timf Member

There have been mule sightings where the rear windows were not fully sealed and appear to be partially open. This, as well as the fact that there is a seam in the window near the back where it would not be able to fully lower, makes it very likely that the second row windows are fully operable.

9. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Agreed and that seam wasn't present on the original prototype.

10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I am sure the rear windows can be lowered in the usual manner.

11. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

I believe there is a picture somewhere in the mule thread that shows it with the rear window partially lowered.

12. Cal1

Cal1 Member

Can anyone who attended the reveal last night verify if the falcon wing doors open? E.g. saw the switches on the doors etc.

13. irishstoutaz

irishstoutaz Member

While I did not pay attention to any switches (was too busy looking at everything else), I did see one where the Falcon window was lowered during the test ride.

14. ChocoboLee

ChocoboLee Member

I was at the event. The rear window does open but it does not open all the way. About 2/3 of the way.

15. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

I'm pretty sure that I saw the falcon wing doors open and close multiple times. :wink: Now for the windows on those doors...

16. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

That's pretty standard for rear door windows, is it not?

17. Cal1

Cal1 Member

One would think so but every pic I've seen shows them closed. Nice to know they actually do open. To me this would have been a major design flaw.