Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do the rear windows go up and down in the Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please pardon me if this has been discussed before. I was thinking about the rear (passenger) falcon wing doors on the Model X, and it came to me that I have never seen a picture of the rear doors with the windows open. I know this will be answered soon, but was thinking of some of the difficulties in doing this with the articulated falcon wing doors.

1. Windows move up and down on tracks to guide the windows. These tracks can be either frameless (no metal around the glass above the door beltline), or framed (metal surrounding the window edge and part of the door itself.

2. The Falcon wing doors articulate, or hinge somewhere in the area of the beltline (or bottom edge area of the lower part of the side window). This would make it necessary to have a hinged area below the glass area on the door with the window up. If the window does indeed move up and down, then this would cause two difficult issues - first the track holding the window and allowing it to slide up and down has to be hinged to allow it to articulate. Second - the attachment to the glass would have to allow for articulating/bending at the joint.

If the windows in the Falcon Wing doors do indeed go up and down, then Tesla had solved a very complex procedure to do so.

Anyone know this, or have any pictures of the windows down in a Model X.

2. The Falcon wing doors articulate, or hinge somewhere in the area of the beltline (or bottom edge area of the lower part of the side window).
I don't think this is the case. See the click-and-drag animation at Model X | Tesla Motors -- the second articulation point is at the top corner, above the window, so there's no reason the window can't travel up/down inside the door on a fixed track.

There have been mule sightings where the rear windows were not fully sealed and appear to be partially open. This, as well as the fact that there is a seam in the window near the back where it would not be able to fully lower, makes it very likely that the second row windows are fully operable.

There have been mule sightings where the rear windows were not fully sealed and appear to be partially open. This, as well as the fact that there is a seam in the window near the back where it would not be able to fully lower, makes it very likely that the second row windows are fully operable.

Agreed and that seam wasn't present on the original prototype.