Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you display the energy app in your standard configuration in V7?

How often do you display the new energy app?

• I always have it displayed -- even when using NAV

Votes: 30 34.5%
  • I always display it when not using NAV

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • I usually display it

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • I rarely display it

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • I never display it.

Votes: 8 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There has been a lot of back and forth about Tesla removing the energy consumption dial from the center of the IC, with some members strongly opposed to the "demotion" to a side app. After driving 1,000 miles or so with the new firmware I discovered today that I actually don't even look at it often enough to justify keeping it up as one of my side apps. I prefer to use the Trips and Audio apps as my side panel apps.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, I'm just curious. Now that it has moved to an app, do you prefer to display it or not?

There has been a lot of back and forth about Tesla removing the energy consumption dial from the center of the IC, with some members strongly opposed to the "demotion" to a side app. After driving 1,000 miles or so with the new firmware I discovered today that I actually don't even look at it often enough to justify keeping it up as one of my side apps. I prefer to use the Trips and Audio apps as my side panel apps.
I voted based on my understanding that the center display you are referring to is the power meter (kW) for demand and regen. The energy graph is the average Wh/km now shown inside the the combination power/energy graph on the side panel.
I like the current setup - combination of power/energy graph and it is always displayed under all condition.

I voted based on my understanding that the center display you are referring to is the power meter (kW) for demand and regen. The energy graph is the average Wh/km now shown inside the the combination power/energy graph on the side panel.
I like the current setup - combination of power/energy graph and it is always displayed under all condition.

You are correct -- that is the app I'm referring to.

I used to have that stuff up all the time but given that I don't care about energy usage anymore, I don't. This is a result of having driven Tesla's for 5 years now and when I road trip I use the trip estimator app on the 17" screen.

I thought I was gonna die without it. But in truth, I am not using it that much. My drive is very consistent everyday. So it doesn't matter much on a daily basis. I expect that I will use it more over Thanksgiving, when I have a road trip planned.

PS: I STILL hate the damn clock! A huge waste of space. They could put time, day/date and energy in that space easily. Though I want time and temp to be permanently displayed. And I just saw the Euro version that still shows time and temp in the IC permanently. What's up with that?! I miss those more than anything else.

Left: Analog Clock (this looks good actually when paired with the semi-circle of the energy graph)
Right: Energy Graph/Instantaneous Power

We just need the digital clock to be removed from the Analog Clock app and now we have beautiful flat lines.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, I'm just curious. Now that it has moved to an app, do you prefer to display it or not?

I think you need to specify that this poll is for people with Autopilot-capable cars. On my 2013 S85, V7 leaves the energy consumption/speedometer dial in the middle, with a representation of the car viewed from the rear in the lower center. I really like this new version, because I still get all the energy info I want, and finally get to see when my brakes are on.

As a result, I responded that I never use the energy app. I keep music or nav on the left, and the trip computer on the right. Main screen is usually map on top, music on bottom - or trip energy on bottom on longer trips.

I keep the energy app at right at all times (and trips to the left, being displaced by nav at times).

Not as much for the graph, but I MISS THE CENTERED POWER/REGEN ARC IMMENSELY (Tesla, are you listening ?), and the energy app is the only way.
Not that it is as good as the old arc, it isn't, it is thin, feeble and quite difficult to see (and often covered by steerings wheel parts), and moreover useless for small figures (the logarithmic scale was really good here).

Sigh.

I would prefer an option, where something resembling the old center display (take or give, and possibly beatified/uglified to fit the "new modern driver focused look", or what it is called), was displayed when AP was not active.
Or a horisontal energy bar just below the speed digits (say, increasing in orange from right towards left when using power, and in green from left to right during regen).

I voted usually. I like the way it looks, and I have nothing more useful to put there

Typical around town driving:
Left side trip meter/NAV
Right side energy app
Top 17" Google Map
Bottom 17" music

Typical around town driving:
Left side NAV
Right side music
Top 17" Google Map
Bottom 17" trip-tab of the energy consumption box