Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you drive on the Chill vs Standard mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It takes 20kw to cruise at 60mph

20kw is 20kw, chill doesnt affect that fact one way or another.

This isn't about cruise.

I'm not sure people caught the point i made above: limiting *peak* power reduces (unmetered) resistive losses *inside the cells*.

There are two ways to get to 60 mph: one where you apply 40 kw of power for like ten seconds, and the other where you apply 400 kw of power for four seconds. One is more "efficient" than the other, I'm sorry.

I^2 * R

You can't control R much but you can limit I

Reactions: Big Earl
Also, chill never deploys enough power to get any kind of wheelspin or brake intervention from the stability control, unless you're on ice or something. So, you're not throwing any energy away on extra tire friction or whatever.

I try to use chill on road trips mostly because I don't want to break *sugar* on a car that doesn't have any service centers nearby almost anywhere I tend to go, and it keeps me from chucking it from cruise speed to 90 for no reason on a whim. But I also try to stick to 6-7mph over and then end up bombing the left lane with everybody else, so, life choices lol

I'm not scandalized by the existence of chill mode, 'to each his own' and all that. But I will say if you're not expecting the reduction in power (and you don't notice the little words "chill mode" somewhere in the display), it can actually be a little dangerous to attempt a maneuver that requires normal tesla capabilities to execute only to find *you no longer have normal tesla capabilities* as that truck is bearing down on your unprotected left turn onto a divided highway etc

I'm not scandalized by the existence of chill mode, 'to each his own' and all that. But I will say if you're not expecting the reduction in power (and you don't notice the little words "chill mode" somewhere in the display), it can actually be a little dangerous to attempt a maneuver that requires normal tesla capabilities to execute only to find *you no longer have normal tesla capabilities* as that truck is bearing down on your unprotected left turn onto a divided highway etc
I guess that depends on what mode you normally drive in doesn’t it? I only have mine in normal if I want to play a little, rest of the time I just chill😎. I find chill more than enough for the majority of UK driving conditions😇

Reactions: Harvey Danger
I always drive in standard. I can drive smooth in standard and if I want the power it is there. In fact I only tried it once and wanted more power.
You can drive smooth while using the power. Just ease the pedal down not bang it down.
My average on winter tires is below 230 Wh/km 372 Wh/M. Ok this doesn't include driving in Germany.
Even if Chill mode would save some, I might arrive at a Supercharger with 12% instead of 10%. That might be 1 minute charging. And at home it doesn't matter how long it needs.
On a highway I drive on Autopilot as much as my X wants to do it and I don't believe it makes a lot off difference.