Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you drive with your fog lights on?

Do you always drive with your fog lights on?

• Yes

• No

• I don't know/other

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2014 S calls out DRLs explicitly in the firmware, and they control the perimeter strip of LEDs that go around the headlight units. In the refreshed S, the same perimeter light (with the much smoother diffuser lens) is not considered a DRL?

My 2014 S calls out DRLs explicitly in the firmware, and they control the perimeter strip of LEDs that go around the headlight units. In the refreshed S, the same perimeter light (with the much smoother diffuser lens) is not considered a DRL?

On the newer S's, the Signature Lights double as the DRL (I guess they are bright enough on the S to pass as DRL). They are always on when driving except when in Range mode or manually turned off (U.S. only).

Driving with fog loghts on is illegal if there are cars in front of you. The rules are essentially the same as for high beam usage. (At least in most states.)
Not in Virginia - 19VAC30-70-160. Auxiliary Lamps: Backup; Cornering; Driving; Fog; Spot and Warning.

Also fog lights should not be shining in your eyes... they work under the fog line which is usually about 4 to 12 inches from the ground and spreads to the shoulder of the road to illuminate the lines.... not oncoming traffic and good ones are usually amber in color..

Auxiliary/Spot/Floods/Off roads will blind the crap out of you...

light-beams-scheme.jpg

Last edited:
Voted NO. I use the fog lights sometimes, not all the time. Driving highway 17 over to or from Santa Cruz at night they're mostly on. Even when there's no fog. Most of the road is divided with a concrete barrier so it's not affecting oncoming traffic that much. For the cars ahead of me in my lane, it's a wake-up signal that someone is behind them. But the main reason I use them is that it illuminates the road to the sides so I can hopefully see anything that might dart out in front.

If they were amber and could be used independent of regular headlights, at least below a certain speed, I would use them a lot in my foggy neighborhood.

On the Model 3, the fog lights can be used with parking lights if you don't want to have your headlights on. Making them amber would require replacing the LEDs with amber ones. That's likely more electrical surgery than most people are comfortable with, since the LEDs are likely soldered onto a circuit board.

I did say in most states. For example it is in Oregon: ODOT: Some drivers in a fog over proper fog lights use

Actually they are legal since 2017 in Oregon provided they do not shine out past 75' in front of the vehicle. ORS 811.515 (7) & (8)

(7)When a vehicle is upon a highway a person shall light not more than a total of four lights at any one time that are mounted on the front of a vehicle and that each projects a beam of intensity greater than 300 candlepower.

(8)(a) A light, other than a headlight, that projects a beam of light of an intensity greater than 300 candlepower shall not be operated on a vehicle:
Unless the beam is so directed that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam will strike the level of the roadway on which the vehicle stands at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Not in Virginia - 19VAC30-70-160. Auxiliary Lamps: Backup; Cornering; Driving; Fog; Spot and Warning.

Also fog lights should not be shining in your eyes... they work under the fog line which is usually about 4 to 12 inches from the ground and spreads to the shoulder of the road to illuminate the lines.... not oncoming traffic and good ones are usually amber in color..

Auxiliary/Spot/Floods/Off roads will blind the crap out of you...

light-beams-scheme.jpg

In PA it is legal to drive with low beam and fogs on at same time. I always do with my current vehicles, and plan to with the Model 3. More light for improved visibility never hurts, especially around here where deer tend to jump out of the woods. Since they are factory fog lights which should be aimed according to DOT guidelines, shouldn't be an issue. I have never been blinded by another oncoming car with factory fogs either. However, people around here with trucks and Jeeps like to mount the RIGID LED lights on their bumpers as quoted above. I own a Jeep and it is heavily modified. Even I do not have these lights on my Wrangler. Do I want them? Yes. They are incredibly bright and would be a huge upgrade to the factory lighting options. However they are marked as OFF ROAD USE ONLY, and I know how badly it blinds people. So out of respect to others I do not have these on my vehicle.

Reactions: Big Earl
Please do not confuse Front Fog Lights with Running Lights/Driving Lights. They are not the same at all. Fog Lights are specifically for fog and the bulbs, positioning etc are in such a way to help you in fog that does not help when it is not foggy.

In the UK it is illegal to drive with your fog lights on, when visibility is not poor. The fine for improper use is £30. The police can check what type your lights are from the stamped codes in the plastic.

Highway Code:

Rule 226
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

Rule 236
You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

I believe all states in the US have now allowed fog lights to be used at all times. The states have essentially given up now that so many cars come with fog lights and drivers turn them on all the time. This is for factory lights which point down. If you install your own home brew lights and they point up they would be illegal.

DRLs aren't legal thing in the US, because we are so far behind. Other countries have requirements for them...

had an argument with daughter's BF about this last month -- he's from MN where their DoT claims DRL's improve safety. However, US NHTSA disagrees. The meta-data out there do not show an improvement in safety for DRL's is good weather, and that is why the US is supposedly "far behind.". (MN DoT's reports were based on bad assumptions on thier data.)

Before y'all Disagree with my post feel free to do your own research on DRL's and NHTSA and meta-analyses.

The analysis found that DRLs have no statistically significant overall effects…” for passenger vehicles and/or pedestrians….However, there was a “non-statistically significant reduction” in accidents with light trucks..."

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811029