Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you hand wash or car wash your Tesla?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You've got a dark colored car (based on you profile picture). Have you used an inspection light to look for swirls? It's been said that this is a consequence of automatic car washes, so I'm curious to see if this has happened to you. For reference, I've only hand washed my car. After 3 years, it was time for me to reseal my paint and reapply my bumper PPF. During this process, I hadn't noticed any swirls on my vehicle.
At this point, I don't care about swirls in the paint. I didn't PPF any part of it and I have lots of rock chips. It gets driven over 30k miles a year and is a 100+ mile a weekday daily driver. If the paint gets too bad, I will get it repainted or just drive until I get to 500k miles then sell it.

I have 3 ceramic sprays I have tried so far.

My first was Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer - I've used it for a couple of years and it is a great drying aid that adds a good amount of protection and slickness

My second is Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating - this seems to have a bit more ceramic material in it which adds a more slickness and shine compared to the Meguiar's

The latest I am using is the DIY Detail Ceramic Gloss spray -- I've only used it once and it seems to be in-between the two above - I think the Turtle Wax is supposed to be more of a spray coating -- whereas the Meguiar's and DIY Detail have a lower level of ceramic, but work great as a topper to a coated car.

Reactions: traubgator
Thanks for sharing your regimen! Will look into this.
A little bit more info is that after the 1st rinse and 1st foam cannon, you let it sit for 5 min. During that time, I clean the wheels with the soapy foam (or if its really dirty, use a smaller bucket just for wheels). My whole process takes about 1-1.5 hours but I look at it as a hobby vs. a chore. My paint for the most part is perfect with very little swirls.

Reactions: Solar Windman
I hand washed it the first two years, then with all the rock chips and scratches it has accumulated in 82k miles I stated taking it to car washes. I do a better job hand washing and hand drying than the car wash, but when it is really dirty and I don't have time, I take it to the local car wash with brushes and an automatic dryer. It consistently misses the rear so I end up having to hand clean that part if I have time. Hand drying is really important to me because I can't stand water spots.
Yup, I tend to fall off wash and wax after a car ages (which may contribute to aging). I agree with water spots. Almost defeats the purpose of washing, from an aesthetic point of view.

I bought a Sun Joe 3000 spx for pressure washing the car with a foam cannon and for cleaning the driveway. The thing was so messy to set up and put away, with the cord and two hoses, that I decided I would not want to wash the car frequently with it. I'll use the foam gun instead.

It was also not strong enough to clean the driveway efficiently, so I returned it.
I have a pressure washer for concrete and wood porch. I didn't think of using it for car cleaning. It's not too harsh on the paint?

Great info. I think I may get The Absorber. I went through a few old facecloths. Do you just wash The Absorber in a washing machine?

You can wash microfiber towels in the washing machine, but make sure you only dry on the lowest temperature / heat setting and never use fabric softener. High drying temps and fabric softener (despite the name) will both make the ends of your microfibers harder, not softer. So the next time you use the towel, it will likely induce scratches and swirls in your paint.

I also recommend a detergent specifically designed for microfiber towels such as this one that I personally use:

My personal favorite drying towel is The Gauntlet sold by the Rag Company:

You can always use a bigger orifice to reduce pressure. I think most detailers stick with something in the 2000 psi range.
Thank you!

Just have to get the runners out of the way...
Bubble run!! I never heard of it before. Seems like it would be good business for an orthopedist! :)

Reactions: brkaus
You can wash microfiber towels in the washing machine, but make sure you only dry on the lowest temperature / heat setting and never use fabric softener. High drying temps and fabric softener (despite the name) will both make the ends of your microfibers harder, not softer. So the next time you use the towel, it will likely induce scratches and swirls in your paint.

I also recommend a detergent specifically designed for microfiber towels such as this one that I personally use:

My personal favorite drying towel is The Gauntlet sold by the Rag Company:

Do you think the gaunlet would be good for wiping down Turtle wax? I see different sizes. What size do you recommend?

I use a rinse with a 1300 psi pressure washer. I use the attachment I have to rinse the undercarriage. Rinse off the car then hook up the foam cannon and get that soaking well. Then I fill up the two bucket system. Rinse off the soap and wash carefully with 4 mittens., Rinse it off well and then wash the wheels. Rinse that off then use the airjet dryer that uses warm filtered air to dry off the car. Then use a microfiber towel to get all the door jams and such as well as the trunk.

Do you think the gaunlet would be good for wiping down Turtle wax? I see different sizes. What size do you recommend?

The gauntlet is a plush, soft towel designed for drying. If you are applying a spray wax or detail spray, I would suggest something with a shorter pile, such as The Rag Company Eagle Edgeless 350 or the Edgeless 300. You could order a couple of each and then see which one you like better.

I actually also like the yellow microfiber towels that Costco sells for removing wax. The have a shorter pile too. Some people think they are not as good and cause scratching, but so far I have been happy with them. And you are not going to find microfiber towels at a better price than the Costco ones.

My main routine is
1. Foam
2. Rinse
3. Shampoo
4. Rinse
5. Towel dry

Products -
Bilt Hamber Touchless foam in foam gun on pressure washer
Bilt Hamber Shampoo in ONE bucket with grit guard and ONE noodle mitt (fight me 😝)
Plush microfibre towels for drying.

I also use Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax, the performance, ease of application, and value is unbeaten even against ceramics IMO (again, fight me 🙃) I've just reapplied after six months of use and it was still going strong in most areas.

People who are rinsing before foaming I believe you are reducing the stickiness and therefore effectiveness of your foam step.

Last edited:
The gauntlet is a plush, soft towel designed for drying. If you are applying a spray wax or detail spray, I would suggest something with a shorter pile, such as The Rag Company Eagle Edgeless 350 or the Edgeless 300. You could order a couple of each and then see which one you like better.

I actually also like the yellow microfiber towels that Costco sells for removing wax. The have a shorter pile too. Some people think they are not as good and cause scratching, but so far I have been happy with them. And you are not going to find microfiber towels at a better price than the Costco ones.
I also like the Costco ones for the value. Makes it super easy to toss one out if it accidentally drops on the ground or something.

Mine migrate from car detailing to house work to the trash. But they do last a long time in the house work stage.

what product are you using for step 5?
i'm always interested in exploring new ceramic sprays and drying aids. currently using beadmaker, but has a flaw that it has static issue which some times can attract dust etc.

My top 3 favorite ceramic drying aids:

1) Xtreme Solutions Topper:

2) Armour Detail Supply Amplify Ceramic Detail Spray:

3) Technicians Choice Ceramic Detail Spray:

All products enhance gloss, feel super slick under the towel, give a ceramic "boost" of protection, and smell really really good.