Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you hand wash or car wash your Tesla?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my routine:
- Pressure wash with soap and water twice a week.
- Deep clean with two step rinse with soap and water, waxing, cleaning of the frunk and interior once a month. I usually spend an entire day with the help of my kids on this. I swear by the guide from Chrisfix, up on YouTube. It's very detailed and the everything comes out clean after a claybar and waxing.

I never let someone else wash my car, not because I don't trust them but because I enjoy doing it myself. Auto car washers are a no no.

Reactions: Solar Windman
Interested to know how you get on with this, I thought about getting something similar but concluded it wouldn't give full coverage from one bottle. Ended up getting a cheap snow foam adapter for my pressure washer and it works very well.
If it works as well as in the video, it will be a lot more convenient than taking out and hooking up the pressure washer, even if I need two bottles per car.

We'll see.

Reactions: Foxsbiscuits
I'm behind the curve, I guess, but I just got a bottle of ONR and tried it yesterday. Seems to have done a good job, and the convenience can't be beat. Washed the 3 right in my garage.

One observation, though - several Youtubers say that one (white) cap from the 32oz bottle is 1oz of product. I don't have anything that measures that small an amount, but 4 capfuls did NOT equal 4oz (my minimum measurable amount). Looks like to me a capful is about 2/3 oz, so when mixing with 2 gal of water I'd recommend using about a cap and a half.

Hand wash only. With my first MY, I would occasionally take it to a touchless car wash, particularly in the winter. The local place wipes down the car afterwards, so it was good - no swirl marks! However, I began to notice the black trim pieces on the doors/windows got discolored. I've seen others post about similar results, likely from the harsh chemicals in the car wash. I think I read that WD40 or Armor All will take care of that.
Anyway, for my new 2024 MY, I'm going to stick with hand washing only, at least for a while.

I'm behind the curve, I guess, but I just got a bottle of ONR and tried it yesterday. Seems to have done a good job, and the convenience can't be beat. Washed the 3 right in my garage.

I am a huge fan of ONR and other rinseless washes. Glad you liked your first experience with it.

Not sure if you are already doing this, but I find that a really important first step in doing a rinseless wash is to "pretreat" the panel you are going to wash with some of the ONR solution. I use a one-gallon Chapin garden sprayer that I bought at home depot. I fill the sprayer with some of the ONR wash solution, spray the panel I am cleaning, let it dwell for about 20-30 seconds, and then wash the panel with a microfiber wash pad and the ONR solution.

Pretreating the panel this way, especially the panels lower on the car that tend to get more dirty, will significantly reduce the chances of inducing any scratches.

The gauntlet is a plush, soft towel designed for drying. If you are applying a spray wax or detail spray, I would suggest something with a shorter pile, such as The Rag Company Eagle Edgeless 350 or the Edgeless 300. You could order a couple of each and then see which one you like better.

I actually also like the yellow microfiber towels that Costco sells for removing wax. The have a shorter pile too. Some people think they are not as good and cause scratching, but so far I have been happy with them. And you are not going to find microfiber towels at a better price than the Costco ones.
Thank you for the advice! I purchased The Rag Company Edgeless 365. They specifically note that it is for wax removal, polishing. Pretty good price at 19.95 for 10-pack. I also to "Dry Me a River" by The Rag Company. Great name

I'm getting one of these and will report back:

Got it today, and the thing works great—just as in the video. I'll start a new thread on it.

20240427_085810.jpg

I exclusively do “waterless” washes with those “quick-wash” type spray-bottle products and a few microfiber towels. I do it maybe 4 or 5 days a week to keep it clean and shiny. If the car is really dirty (I.e. driving through a rain after a multi-week dry spell), I’ll soak one or two microfiber cloths in water to run over the car to pick up or loosen most of the heavier soiling. I take about 15 minutes per cleaning, including cleaning the wheels and shining the tires. If I’m just wiping down the body, it’s more like 5-7 minutes.

IMG_3157.jpeg

No “buckets,” no hose, and I can knock it out in the garage before I go to work.

Reactions: joebruin77