Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you have bent 20" wheels on your Model 3?

How many bent 20" model 3 wheels do you have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Won't a 255/35 R20 rub with performance stock 20" wheels?

Probably not. The limiting factor is that front upper control knuckle and there is just enough space between the stock wheel and tire for the extra quarter inch radius in the 255 / 35 Tire. And interestingly enough, it will just about cancel out the 1.5% speedometer error that most of our cars show.

Probably not. The limiting factor is that front upper control knuckle and there is just enough space between the stock wheel and tire for the extra quarter inch radius in the 255 / 35 Tire. And interestingly enough, it will just about cancel out the 1.5% speedometer error that most of our cars show.

Thanks, I gave it a shot and have been running 255/35 R20 for about 500 miles on stock performance wheels. I did add 5mm spacers because I read another driver who had a little bit of rub during spirited driving.

Took my model 3 performance with performance upgrade in after hitting a pothole and experiencing vibration. All 4 20" wheels are bent. With replacement and alignment, I was quoted $3500... Waiting to hear back if there is any way to repair the wheels. My car has 5000 miles on it. I will not be paying that price for a replacement. Once this is over I will also be switching to smaller aftermarket wheels.

Took my model 3 performance with performance upgrade in after hitting a pothole and experiencing vibration. All 4 20" wheels are bent. With replacement and alignment, I was quoted $3500... Waiting to hear back if there is any way to repair the wheels. My car has 5000 miles on it. I will not be paying that price for a replacement. Once this is over I will also be switching to smaller aftermarket wheels.

For that much money I would get a check from the insurance company and buying aftermarket to begin with.

For that much money I would get a check from the insurance company and buying aftermarket to begin with.
My 19" forged CCW wheels have not had an issue after about 13k miles where the OEM wheels were bent in the first few days of getting the car driving the exact same roads. Well worth the cost for aftermarket forged wheels in my opinion.

Reactions: Sam1
Definitely not the same, but a good middle point in cost and strength between fully forged and cast. Likely more than good enough if you downsize to 18” or 19”

The only thing i'm saying is the same is that they are both fine for resisting pothole damage, if you really want to spend the money for the extra weight savings of forged that's totally cool - but in terms of wanting to buy something because of bending stock 20"s, flow formed is just fine.

Reactions: TORQU3
It is a PERFORMANCE version. It comes with PERFORMANCE tires.

It is a faux idea of performance, the language of poseurs. The first thing that someone that is interested in actual 'performance' does when they get a Model 3 P is toss the 20" rims. For either 18" or 19" rims. Usually wider rims, unless there's some other factor at play. The factory P rims are heavy. Unsprung weight is the antithesis of 'performance'.

Reactions: Jedi2155 and TORQU3
It is a faux idea of performance, the language of poseurs. The first thing that someone that is interested in actual 'performance' does when they get a Model 3 P is toss the 20" rims. For either 18" or 19" rims. Usually wider rims, unless there's some other factor at play. The factory P rims are heavy. Unsprung weight is the antithesis of 'performance'.

Yea you nailed it. Factory set up is too fragile for street or track and way too heavy! Model y performance wheels are even worse! I went down an inch in wheel diameter, 1/2” wider, and wider tires. Also decreased the combined wheel and tire weight by about 8lbs per corner if I remember correctly. Nice side effect is a much more durable wheel and tire combo as well.

Reactions: SammichLover
Nice side effect is a much more durable wheel and tire combo as well.
Maybe I’m a coward but driving the stock 20” on a track I’d be fearful touching the red&white lest get onto it too hard, the tire deflects enough I make rim contact and suddenly I lose a tire or two in a turn.

Short tire wall to help reduce them laying over or deadening a turn-in is a thing. But so is taking that concept to a fetish level.

Just got my first bent one on performance m3 at 12k miles. Local place is going to straighten it for 115.00 bucks. Don't remember hitting a pot hole but this is 20s life I guess. I have tracked the wheels before but usually use a dedicated set. Never bent them tracking it just must've happened driving

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Just got my first bent one on performance m3 at 12k miles. Local place is going to straighten it for 115.00 bucks. Don't remember hitting a pot hole but this is 20s life I guess. I have tracked the wheels before but usually use a dedicated set. Never bent them tracking it just must've happened driving

Some aftermarket wheels particularly forged seem to to hold up to the pounding a bit better than the stock OEM wheels which combine rather Hefty weight (more than 28 pounds) and a lot of vulnerability to bending and cracking. We've had better luck with both Vorsteiner which are barrel rolled but not super lightweight and very good luck with Vertini VS forged which really seem resistant to bending. Both of these at about 600 bucks a wheel for list price are cheaper than the OEM boat anchors.

Well I have 3 bent M3P 20" wheels and at my car's 2 year anniversary tomorrow, I'm switching to 19x9.5" wheels.

What did you all do with your bent 20's? Is there any value to them, or should I let Discount Tire trash them?
Probably depends on how badly bent they are. Apparently some bends can be removed? I did a quick Google search and there are services in San Diego which might be worthwhile if you want to resell the wheels. Or you might just be able to sell them at a significant discount to someone who wants them and let them deal with it and the liability.

Still curious about this phenomenon of bent wheels. I know San Diego streets are bad, and I am always dodging potholes. But usually I know where the potholes are on my daily routes and adjust speed and vigilance in unfamiliar areas (and after a good rain). So far so good. I'll probably bend one soon though! I do try to keep my tire pressures at 45PSI in the hopes it helps cushion the blow a bit.

Last edited: