Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you keep Creep on or off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you please let me know if you keep Creep ON or OFF? What does the Creep feature actually do? Sorry...but I dont understand the importance of having it or not having it.

It would be too much of a pain for me to be flipping it on and off between driving and parking so I leave it on all the time makes it easy to back into a tight garage in the dark, while creeping in reverse and tapping the break I get plenty of light to see by with the rear camera and between that visibility and the parking sensors I can park pretty quickly with confidence I wont scrape either sides or rear.

• Informative
Reactions: wesley888
With Creep off, will there be issues with "overshooting" or over-accelerating more than you need to when traversing tricky areas? For example, going up a carpark slope or reversing into a parking lot that has uneven ground (humps) that may require more power than usual

Reactions: EVCarGUy
OFF OFF OFF, three times OFF. :)

For me it is part of what makes an electric car great. Creep is simulating the annoying (in the humble opinion of this driver who learned on and only drove manuals for the first 20 years) side effect of an automatic. You don't have to constantly fight the car trying to run away. With it off, the car just does what you tell it when you tell it. Period. You can move slowly forward with a lot of precision simply my gently pressing the accelerator pedal.

There are only two reasons to turn it on that I might consider:

1) other drivers in the household who have only ever driven automatic transmissions. (does creep mode go with profiles?)
2) you are constantly having to creep into a tight spot. At that point it MIGHT be worth it. But I find a gentle right foot superior.

Related one: How many of you are set for light regen rather than the standard strong regen? Why?

I have an extra profile called "Valet" which I activate when handing over to the Valet attendant, and before engaging Valet Mode. This has the sole task of engaging Creep.

I am more comfortable putting on Creep mode for people unfamiliar with the car having seen how many have accidentally used the accelerator to brake the Tesla turning into an instant wrecking ball.

I wish Valet Mode engaged Creep by default.

With Creep off, will there be issues with "overshooting" or over-accelerating more than you need to when traversing tricky areas?

I don't think so. I had to park in an incredibly tight bay yesterday. I parked passenger-to-passenger on my passenger said, and driver-to-driver on my diver side (hope that make sense) so that I, and the guy next to me, could get in an out. The car on my passenger side was fine, he had space on his driver side. I parked to within an inch of the passenger-side car, at my fat back end!!, with the Red STOP warning on the screen getting very angry! but I had no difficulty edging back very slowly on just accelerator (with CREEP mode off) using wing mirror.

will the car roll backwards on a hill with creep mode off like a manual trasmission would?

Not tried it, but I expect it would. "Standing" on the brake pedal engages "hill hold" which allows taking foot of brake, and onto accelerator when ready, without the car moving. But: make sure it is engaged and be careful not to nudge either pedal (either will release hill-hold mode). I leave my foot on the brake until ready to set off, then press it hard for Hill Hold, and then move foot to accelerator as I think this avoids the risk of setting Hill Hold and then accidentally disengaging it before ready to set off. If I'm needing to turn around and get something out of the back (say) I press PARK.

Reactions: wesley888
I think I am going to leave it ON. Although I used to drive a manual for years, I never enjoyed trying to precisely reverse out of tight spots without creep. Sometimes it's nice to one pedal drive with the brake. And California parking lots tend to be crazy tight.

My husband has an S4 which is an automated manual (different than an automatic), and it is admittedly terrible at creeping. It creeps like a manual with someone else on the clutch, so you don't get a good feel of when it's going to grab. I hate parking it in our garage, ugh.

Off. Fine control with the accelerator.
Also I expect creep will use more energy when using the brake for one-pedal maneuvers, as you're resisting the motor pushing the car. I personally find that unacceptable, even if it is nigh immeasureable. Hated it when I borrowed a Prius too.

Note re. "classic" cars: pre AP cars don't have the same "Brake hold" as AP cars do. Pre AP cars still have "Hill start assist" which will hold the brake for up to about 3 seconds, only if in D facing up-hill or in R facing downhill. We have no circle "H."

I noticed yesterday that my brake lights stay on are when I stop (according to the dashboard representation)

I come to a stop at junction / traffic lights, take foot off brake (level road, no roll backwards etc., for me creep is OFF), car sits still, but brake lights remain on until I pull away.

I wonder if that is a nuisance for the person behind me? - never really thought about it before, but I have seen people say "I wish people in front of me would not stay stood on their brakes when we stop in line"

On.

I understand the comparison to a manual transmission, but I couldn't get used to not having a clutch to control the fine movements. Anyhow, my wife drives our Tesla as her daily driver, and she's used to automatics.