Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you need a positive test drive before taking delivery of your Model 3 pre-order?

Do you need a positive test drive before taking delivery of your Model 3 pre-order?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if I never perform the brake fluid flushes every 25k miles or the battery coolant flush at 62,5k that if I subsequently had a brake problem or a battery problem, then I would still be covered under warranty?

I seriously doubt that will be the case.
According to how the warranty is written, yes you are still covered. The provision that lack of maintenance can void your warranty has been removed. Now there is no required maintenance to be able to keep your warranty (the ESA is a different case however, as the linked thread discusses).
Extended Service Agreements No Longer Transferable?

I don't necessarily need to drive one but I sure like to see one in person and sit in it to see how comfortable it is getting in and out of the car. I come from an SUV and I am concerned about the height of the car. The Model S is a no go, to the low driving position. It might als be attributed to the strange spot of the B pilar in that particular Model.

According to how the warranty is written, yes you are still covered. The provision that lack of maintenance can void your warranty has been removed. Now there is no required maintenance to be able to keep your warranty (the ESA is a different case however, as the linked thread discusses).
Extended Service Agreements No Longer Transferable?

The warranty currently online says you won't be covered for "improper maintenance". I would say not doing the maintenance might qualify as improper. It also says you have to maintain maintenance records to not void your warranty.

Is this not the latest one?

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/d.../model_s_new_vehicle_limited_warranty_2.1.pdf

Edit: found the current one on the Model S page: https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/d...New_Vehicle_Limited_Warranty_201602_en_NA.pdf

You still have to maintain your car to not void the warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: voip-ninja
The warranty currently online says you won't be covered for "improper maintenance". I would say not doing the maintenance might qualify as improper. It also says you have to maintain maintenance records to not void your warranty.

Is this not the latest one?

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/d.../model_s_new_vehicle_limited_warranty_2.1.pdf
"Lack of" and "improper" means different things legally (which is why they were there both in the first version). "Improper" maintenance covers things like putting in the wrong fluids.

The changes to the wording was made in reference to this article (which also has the link to the new warranty):
"As such, we are comfortable making the annual checkup entirely optional. There is still value to having Tesla look at the car once a year for things like tire alignment, to address a few things here & there and perform any hardware upgrades – our goal is not just to fix things, but to make the car better than it was. However, even if you never bring in the car, your warranty is still valid."
Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program

Warranty says you are responsible for keeping maintenance records, it does not say you have to do maintenance, nor does it say not doing maintenance would void your warranty. In the older version, under the same Voided Warranty section, it said your warranty is voided if you fail to follow "Performing all vehicle maintenance and service requirements, including those indicated by the vehicle’s systems; and ...". That part was also removed in that update.

Edit: I looked at the newer link, the wording related to lack of maintenance did not change from the 2.1 version.

Last edited:
I'm in California, have a Model S, and reserved maybe 20 minutes after the launch event ended... so, depending on vehicle configuration, that could put me pretty early in the delivery schedule. That said, my wife and I absolutely need seat time in the Model 3 before we will confirm our order (need to verify seat comfort and overall ergonomics).

Reactions: voip-ninja
I hope this isn't like the Model X launch, where many of us barely had the chance to see an X before confirming our order. If so, there are a lot of buyers who could find themselves in the tough position of deciding if they want to see/drive a 3 and chance missing out on the tax credit, or buy sight unseen and lock in the credit. Up to a $7500 gamble.

The $565 per year maintenance, you'll see if you look around here, is something that is often discussed (contested?) and in my opinion, excessive.

I also dont believe that the cost to maintain a Tesla is anywhere NEAR maintaining a German car, unless you're talking about doing all the work yourself. No fluid changes, except for battery temp management? No air filters, aside from the cabin filter. I dunno.. I just dont see it.

As far as needing a battery in 8-10 years, I doubt that as well. Sure, if you want to "maintain" the same amount of range as new. But if thats is what you're expecting, perhaps a battery powered car is not for you. All batteries degrade. But I also believe that in the future, maintaining a Tesla battery is going to much easier since the pack is composed of multiple sub-packs. There will be aftermarket options, just as there are aftermarket options for Priuses.

Also keep in mind you probably wont need to replace your brake pads nearly as much in an electric vehicle since it will be taking advantage of regenerative braking most of the time. The only thing that worries me about getting a Tesla is my increased use of tires since I will be compelled to floor it everywhere.

And lastly, I realize it doesnt apply to most, but I guess the free charging I get at work really helps with the "extremely cheap to maintain and operate" for me.
I'm a do it yourself type as well. I had 2 classic cars that were money pits (since sold) but I still have my 4 post hobby hoist. I do all my own maintenance on our current (Toyota) products. The only item that may be tied to Tesla warrenty requirements and not do it yourelf (due to a lack of shop manual availability) is the r&r of coolant.

"Lack of" and "improper" means different things legally (which is why they were there in the first version). "Improper" maintenance covers things like putting in the wrong fluids.

The changes to the wording was made in reference to this article (which also has the link to the new warranty):
"As such, we are comfortable making the annual checkup entirely optional. There is still value to having Tesla look at the car once a year for things like tire alignment, to address a few things here & there and perform any hardware upgrades – our goal is not just to fix things, but to make the car better than it was. However, even if you never bring in the car, your warranty is still valid."
Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program

Warranty says you are responsible for keeping maintenance records, it does not say you have to do maintenance, nor does it say not doing maintenance would void your warranty. In the older version, under the same Voided Warranty section, it said your warranty is voided if you fail to follow "Performing all vehicle maintenance and service requirements, including those indicated by the vehicle’s systems; and ...". That part was also removed in that update.

Wow. Well, then you are right. No point at all in maintaining your car unless you want the extended warranty.

Remind me to not buy a used Tesla, LOL

After 8-10 years the car likely needs a battery replacement if you need to keep the range near the original numbers.
Wrong. This is not a crappy Leaf battery. Active cooling minimizes the degradation. S owners with well over 100k have reported ~5% capacity loss.

EDIT - actually, I think it's 10% - can't find any references other than 10%

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaff
Wow. Well, then you are right. No point at all in maintaining your car unless you want the extended warranty.

Remind me to not buy a used Tesla, LOL
Well, you would make your own choice on that (but for warranty purposes it is not required, mainly to address concerns about Tesla service costing too much). The brake fluid is not a big deal because third parties can easily do that and there are brake fluid intervals that can last 150k miles. Only the battery coolant is Tesla specific. Of course, the service intervals (and cost) may not necessarily the same for the Model 3, given the higher volume should spread out the overhead costs more.

Wrong. This is not a crappy Leaf battery. Active cooling minimizes the degradation. S owners with well over 100k have reported ~5% capacity loss.

I found an older forum thread where owners were showing charge range as they put miles on the clock. It seemed that at 100K miles the best ones were at 90% original range. Not sure were 5% loss comes from, maybe you could cite it.

Reactions: Thomas Edison
I hope to be able to test drive it before taking delivery. I reserved 3-31 in store, so I may not get the option.

Typically, I test drive the car I'm buying and the competitors in the same day. I also like swinging by a Car Max and test driving used models of the car I'm buying to see the difference one or two years make, however I know that isn't applicable here.

I intend to test drive a BMW 328xi before test driving the Model 3 (if available.)

I hope to be able to test drive it before taking delivery. I reserved 3-31 in store, so I may not get the option.

Typically, I test drive the car I'm buying and the competitors in the same day. I also like swinging by a Car Max and test driving used models of the car I'm buying to see the difference one or two years make, however I know that isn't applicable here.

I intend to test drive a BMW 328xi before test driving the Model 3 (if available.)

BMW switches to 330i with new B48 engine at the end of this year for the 2017 model year. In late 2018 the all new 3 series BMW will be out, codenamed G20 platform.

For the Model X, Tesla held various driving tests and factory tour dates earlier this year for potential customers - those with reservations but still undecided. I hope they do the same for Model 3.

I test drove the Leaf and thought it was a blast, but definitely not "M3 blast". I have a 340xi and the Model 3 needs to offer similar levels of engagement for driving. Even if the

Model 3 is not going to be a low maintenance vehicle. Tesla charges Model S owners $565 a year for "maintenance". After 8-10 years the car likely needs a battery replacement if you need to keep the range near the original numbers.

If you add all of that up then the Model 3 is going to cost much more to maintain than most German cars over a 10 year period of time.
What!!! - there is a mandatory maintenance charge? This is the first I've heard....Did not see that in my Model S shopping list. Tell me it aint so!!!

What!!! - there is a mandatory maintenance charge? This is the first I've heard....Did not see that in my Model S shopping list. Tell me it aint so!!!
No, maintenance is optional for Model S, see my other posts starting from here.
Maintenance is optional for warranty purposes in the Model S (likely to be the same in the Model 3). So far there is no indication that you need a battery replacement in 8-10 years. The degradation rates have averaged quite good in the Model S. I believe it was above 90% capacity left in 100k miles.