Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you need a positive test drive before taking delivery of your Model 3 pre-order?

Do you need a positive test drive before taking delivery of your Model 3 pre-order?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will take my Model 3 delivered without ever having sat in or driven one. Tesla has proven to me that they know how to build the best cars in the world. I just want a smaller car than my S, and it's obvious to me from the reveal that the 3 will have plenty of room for my spouse and I and everything we take on road trips. I really have no concerns. I can configure the options I want without having seen a 3 in real life.

That said, I expect that Tesla will have a program to let Model 3 reservation holders drive the car when they open up the configuration page. And I will certainly take advantage of such an opportunity if it's available.

By the time I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Model 3, there may be cars at the Tesla stores to test drive. I am 6' 4", and although I know of Elon's tweet answering that a 6' 5" person can fit in the car, there's some nuance to that "fit", I've learned over time. Will my right knee rub on the center console? Will the left front wheel well intrude on my foot space? Will the seat provide good support for long legs and adequate bolstering on the sides? Will I enjoy sitting in the seat without my posterior going numb from inadequate cushioning or support?

The car looks great; I can even get into the space age dash if that's the final design. But the fit, ride, and drive also must coincide, and I think it will on all three counts. Model 3 is the only car out there right now that is a practical choice for completely ditching ICE based or hybrid cars, due to Superchargers. If it fits me well then I give up nothing by bailing on ICE but a good chunk of change, and gain a very cool ride to boot.

Reactions: GSP and nd4spd569
At 6'-4", it seems that it would be prudent to at least make sure that I will be able to enter the car, sit in it, and exit it.
With the Tesla roadster, I could barely *squeeze* myself into the driver's seat, and I practically had to crawl out if the targa top was in place.
I really have no intentions of providing mirth and merriment to bystanders as I get in and out of a car for the next several years.

Of course I do have faith in Tesla that the Model 3 will pass this test uneventfully, and a test drive is merely a formality.

On the other hand, I expect that as the months/years roll by, and more information about the Model 3 is dribbled out, there will be outcries that they won't be offering a neon puce color, that the Tesla "T" logo on the nose is 1/4" too high, that there are less than 7 cup holders, or the rear view mirror won't twist far enough to let me see myself as I put on my eye shadow, or the air conditioner vents just won't hold the air freshener clip, or there won't be an 8-track tape option, and therefore some reservation holders will just have to drop out.

-- Ardie
"What? No stick shift option? I'm outta here."

Kind of amazing to me that the overwhelming majority have voted that they don't need any test drive. I should have broken the poll down further so that we could see how many of those who don't need a test drive already have a Tesla automobile or have driven one.

Reactions: TrickyDimitri
I don't necessarily need to drive one before buying, as I'm confident that I'll be happy with the way it drives (they'd have to fail pretty spectacularly for it to be a worse driving experience than my current car), but I do need to see and sit in it beforehand. If nothing else, it needs to pass the cello test (meaning my cello must easily fit in the back seat).

I don't necessarily need to drive one before buying, as I'm confident that I'll be happy with the way it drives (they'd have to fail pretty spectacularly for it to be a worse driving experience than my current car), but I do need to see and sit in it beforehand. If nothing else, it needs to pass the cello test (meaning my cello must easily fit in the back seat).

My current car and last couple of cars are pretty nice cars, so my expectations on the Model 3 are high. I will definitely need to drive it and check seat fit, etc, before committing but it seems quite a few don't have that requirement.

No. I've test driven the S multiple times, and will take out an X when given the opportunity.

Not that I'd turn down a Model 3 test drive.

Tesla said there will be cars for us to drive.

Model 3 Reservations FAQ
FAQ said:
When can I test drive Model 3?

We will provide the opportunity to get behind the wheel of Model 3 once we begin production at the end of 2017. In the meantime, we invite you to stop by a Tesla store to experience Model S or Model X.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark C
Yesterday I drove a 90D. My fear was that I could not get into a small sedan. ( I like my massive SUV). Indeed, stepping feet first into the cockpit, I hit my head. The "salesman" was 2" taller than me and showed that entering butt first allows him to miss out on the head bang. I learned a new technique...imagine that!! I am now even more comfortable with my Model 3 reservation. The store had about a dozen S's in their show-off fleet. I expect the fleet will expand to include several M3's for confirmation prior to placing final construction order.
BTW - hitting the throttle was impressive, but I don't see that as something I will need often. What was awesome was the rear-view camera in the On position while driving - like a giant rear-view mirror. A bit distracting at first,, but as I went home, golly did I miss that situational awareness that the array of sensors provided.

With Elon Musk's recent claims about rapid production in late 2017 being assured for the Model 3 I can think of little reason that test mules won't be available for test drives by Q3 of 2017. It would make sense for each Tesla retail location to at least get 2-3 cars for those who have pre-orders as well as other potential customers the opportunity to do a test drive before 2018.

With Elon Musk's recent claims about rapid production in late 2017 being assured for the Model 3 I can think of little reason that test mules won't be available for test drives by Q3 of 2017. It would make sense for each Tesla retail location to at least get 2-3 cars for those who have pre-orders as well as other potential customers the opportunity to do a test drive before 2018.

I think you underestimate the logistical challenge of shuffling a bunch of super-early production vehicles to every corner of the country to be beaten on as demo models. Particularly for something that history shows the great majority of early purchasers just don't care about.

Completely agree. Makes a great deal of sense and its probably already planned.

I think you underestimate the logistical challenge of shuffling a bunch of super-early production vehicles to every corner of the country to be beaten on as demo models. Particularly for something that history shows the great majority of early purchasers just don't care about.

So you think that because Model S pre-orders were the average vehicle was optioned at something like $80,000 people didn't need a pre-order that the mass market Model 3 doesn't need them either? I disagree.

If what you said was true then why have Model S testers even now? Why bother if nobody "needs" a test drive?

2 years ago, I purchased an Audi A3 sedan. new platform, chassis, etc, started from scratch.

Audi was able to cobble together demo cars for their showrooms to host test drive events in April, before the 1st deliveries began in late May.

and those cars were not on trains....well, some were, after their boat ride from Germany, via Gyor, Hungary.

so yes, sometimes vehicles can be scratched together for test drives.

I mean, just six weeks ago, we saw drive-able prototypes in Hawthorne....come to find out, those may have been Betas, as the design might be finalized in just another 6 weeks.

Unless your name is Elon Musk, I'd probably hold off on saying something can't or won't be done at this point.

FWIW, I do think a majority of Model 3 reservation holders would love to have a test drive before configuring or taking delivery. I know I would.

but I'll still complete the transaction without one.

Reactions: navguy12