Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you need a positive test drive before taking delivery of your Model 3 pre-order?

Do you need a positive test drive before taking delivery of your Model 3 pre-order?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
Definitely there are some here that will take delivery of their Model S without a test drive. We also don't know if test drives will be possible, but based on other Tesla models it seems likely that some kind of prototypes will be available for perspective buyers to try before making the final commitment.

So my question is, could a poor test drive experience result in you cancelling your order? For me personally, it could. Things as simple as terrible seats have resulted in my walking away from otherwise great cars in the past. I'm also not yet convinced on the minimalist cockpit design. My last two BMWs have had heads up displays that give me tons of information when I am driving the car and I don't see myself using the auto-pilot features on the Model 3 too much for the kind of driving I do, so the driver experience and how it compares to the 350+ horsepower sedans I like is going to be key.

Interested in other's thoughts on this topic.

I get what you're saying.. and for the most part, I agree. However, after coming to the conclusion that there is no such thing as the perfect car for me (extremely inexpensive to maintain and operate, have excessive horsepower and handle extremely well), I figured that I'd just have to be a "2 car" kind of guy, right tool for the right job, I guess you could say.

So about 4 years ago, I got a plug-in Prius. If you like driving and you like cars, its definitely not that kind of car. But for commuting to work, dropping kids off around town, mundane tasks, it satisfies my "extremely inexpensive to maintain and operate" criteria. As much fun as I like to have behind the wheel, commuting to work was just not fun, regardless of what kind of car I drive. So as long as the Model 3 can surpass the driving experience of a Prius (which I have absolutely no doubt it will), then I'm all set.

The Model 3 may even satisfy my other 2 criteria, but I'm OK if it doesnt. I'm not expecting it to be a Porsche.. and even if it is close to a Porsche, its still not a Porsche. I often joke with my car friends that the only gas I want to pay for in the future is race gas..

My attitudes toward cars has changed a lot over the last few years. I've always been a german-car fan, but sold a BMW M3 to get a Leaf after seeing what EV cars are all about. And honestly, I don't miss the M3 at all and enjoy driving the (horribly ugly) little Leaf around town far more than I ever did in the BMW (in large part because, as a car driving enthusiast, you can be a complete hooligan and no one gives you a second glance because you are completely quiet). Owning an EV now and having test drove a couple Tesla's, I really have no doubt that the Model 3 will fill and surpass my expectations. If I can get a test drive, then sure I'll take it but it would take a monumental cock-up on Tesla's part to ruin what will almost certainly be a great little car.

I would certainly love a test drive before confirming. However, I doubt I will be able to do that without delaying my order.

So, I am willing to take the chance and will confirm and buy before test driving. I figure if I hate it for some reason once I take delivery, I should be able to sell it for little loss.

Reactions: Lunarx
My attitudes toward cars has changed a lot over the last few years. I've always been a german-car fan, but sold a BMW M3 to get a Leaf after seeing what EV cars are all about. And honestly, I don't miss the M3 at all and enjoy driving the (horribly ugly) little Leaf around town far more than I ever did in the BMW (in large part because, as a car driving enthusiast, you can be a complete hooligan and no one gives you a second glance because you are completely quiet). Owning an EV now and having test drove a couple Tesla's, I really have no doubt that the Model 3 will fill and surpass my expectations. If I can get a test drive, then sure I'll take it but it would take a monumental cock-up on Tesla's part to ruin what will almost certainly be a great little car.

I test drove the Leaf and thought it was a blast, but definitely not "M3 blast". I have a 340xi and the Model 3 needs to offer similar levels of engagement for driving. Even if the
I get what you're saying.. and for the most part, I agree. However, after coming to the conclusion that there is no such thing as the perfect car for me (extremely inexpensive to maintain and operate, have excessive horsepower and handle extremely well), I figured that I'd just have to be a "2 car" kind of guy, right tool for the right job, I guess you could say.

So about 4 years ago, I got a plug-in Prius. If you like driving and you like cars, its definitely not that kind of car. But for commuting to work, dropping kids off around town, mundane tasks, it satisfies my "extremely inexpensive to maintain and operate" criteria. As much fun as I like to have behind the wheel, commuting to work was just not fun, regardless of what kind of car I drive. So as long as the Model 3 can surpass the driving experience of a Prius (which I have absolutely no doubt it will), then I'm all set.

The Model 3 may even satisfy my other 2 criteria, but I'm OK if it doesnt. I'm not expecting it to be a Porsche.. and even if it is close to a Porsche, its still not a Porsche. I often joke with my car friends that the only gas I want to pay for in the future is race gas..

Model 3 is not going to be a low maintenance vehicle. Tesla charges Model S owners $565 a year for "maintenance". After 8-10 years the car likely needs a battery replacement if you need to keep the range near the original numbers.

If you add all of that up then the Model 3 is going to cost much more to maintain than most German cars over a 10 year period of time.

Reactions: sunilsf and Az_Rael

I test drove the 1st gen Leaf and thought it was fun.. but not nearly "M3 fun"... more like the fun of driving a really big electric go kart on public roads. So, different kind of fun I guess.

If I can without delaying my order, I'd love to take a test drive prior to delivery. However, if that's not the case, I would definitely take delivery without getting behind the wheel. Demand is such that if I hate it, I should be able to get out of it without a huge loss, but I really doubt that'll be a problem.

Many of us didn't have test drives of the Model S. That turned out OK.

Fair enough, but I think some do need a test drive. I don't need a test drive of the latest model iPhone but then again I have been using iPhones for years.

$50,000+ auto though? Yes, I need a test drive first.

I'm over 200,000 in the reservation queue. I imagine my car would not be built until early 2019 so there should be ample options for a test drive for me, but those at the front of the queue might not get that as an option.

If you add all of that up then the Model 3 is going to cost much more to maintain than most German cars over a 10 year period of time.

I just can't imagine a scenario where that would be true. Particularly the "much more" part. $565 for an annual Tesla maintenance compares pretty favorably to regularly scheduled dealer maintenance (once the gratis oil changes run out) for any German brand I've ever owned.

As someone with a fond and sometimes wallet-crushing affinity for 6-10 year old German cars (let me tell you a little story about a 2002 Audi S4...), even an eventual battery replacement doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Tesla is actively working to design a "million mile powertrain" - the Germans just want to get you to the end of the lease so you'll buy another.

I answered Yes as well, but I didn't read the question and really meant that I would take delivery without test driving. I waited in line (probably 150 back in Tysons Corner, VA) to place my deposit and assume there will be lots of driving reviews by the time my number is called.

I test drove an S about a month ago to A) make sure I would like driving an electric car and assuming the Model 3 would be similar in ride with less comfort/bells and whistles and more importantly B) to bring my wife along to get her fully on board.

Now I just need to teach her to drive stick so we can keep my Wrangler as the "family car" and sell her ford edge. After the test drive that shouldn't be a problem

I am pretty average-size, I can see why somebody very large or small might want to try it first.

This is one area of concern I acknowledge and can relate to. I'm 6'5" and some cars just flat-out don't work for me.

In this case, the prototype's design and Elon's comments confirming space for those of us at the far end of the bell curve has put my mind at ease.

Reactions: ummgood
Model 3 is not going to be a low maintenance vehicle. Tesla charges Model S owners $565 a year for "maintenance". After 8-10 years the car likely needs a battery replacement if you need to keep the range near the original numbers.

The $565 per year maintenance, you'll see if you look around here, is something that is often discussed (contested?) and in my opinion, excessive.

I also dont believe that the cost to maintain a Tesla is anywhere NEAR maintaining a German car, unless you're talking about doing all the work yourself. No fluid changes, except for battery temp management? No air filters, aside from the cabin filter. I dunno.. I just dont see it.

As far as needing a battery in 8-10 years, I doubt that as well. Sure, if you want to "maintain" the same amount of range as new. But if thats is what you're expecting, perhaps a battery powered car is not for you. All batteries degrade. But I also believe that in the future, maintaining a Tesla battery is going to much easier since the pack is composed of multiple sub-packs. There will be aftermarket options, just as there are aftermarket options for Priuses.

Also keep in mind you probably wont need to replace your brake pads nearly as much in an electric vehicle since it will be taking advantage of regenerative braking most of the time. The only thing that worries me about getting a Tesla is my increased use of tires since I will be compelled to floor it everywhere.

And lastly, I realize it doesnt apply to most, but I guess the free charging I get at work really helps with the "extremely cheap to maintain and operate" for me.