Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tesla' started by nwdiver, Jan 21, 2016.
Wasn't sure where best to post this to capture S/X, future 3 & Roadster drivers...
It's really hard to design polls. This one is missing "No... based on existing track record, I'd rather have a VIN > 10,000..."
I'll probably reserve one but if it doesn't have the full autonomous sensor suit I'll wait...
IMO you can't really look at first M3s as Gen I... Elon has stated they they're not going to be as 'adventurous' with the '3' so I would expect they'll go with things that have been proven to work in the S and X. I'm far more comfortable with an early VIN 3 than an early VIN S or X.
I have never for a minute regretted my low VIN, classic 2012 P85. It has a bunch of stuff they don't offer any more: some trim items, the pedals, brown, lacewood. I have not had significant fit/finish or quality issues. One weld mark that shows if you look from right angle in right lighting. I could have waited another year or 18 months, but then I would have missed out on a year or 18 months of driving enjoyment. Plus, there were a number of price increases I managed to miss.
I leased my eGolf with every intention of getting Model 3 to replace it in 2018. If 3 ships earlier, I'll find some way to use the extra car.
Same here... but reading some of the horror stories about drive units and sun roofs I think we may have been the lucky ones...
My "maybe" would have been a "yes" but I want to see the styling and the specs first. I could end up opting for a CPO Model S! :tongue:
If the company gets its act together yes.
That's about how I feel. I'm going to want my car to have the necessary hardware to allow full L4 Autonomous. I'm OK if the software isn't immediately ready, but I want to know that the full self-driving will be forthcoming to my car via software update.
Oh, good point, but assume I could defer and wait a bit. Just want the whole fam on EV if poss.
How will you know? The first time they manage to deliver something as promised, when they promised it for?
All of Elon's statements of "no risks" for the Model 3 are just talk. Just like all the other "talk" he does. About folding second row seats. About the end of range anxiety. About SDKs and Chrome browser and 692hp and more or less anything else he talks about.
So I will believe that they got their act together if they a) unveil the Model 3 in two months, b) announce production for 2017 as he keeps promising, and then actually deliver a meaningful number of cars in 2017 and pass the "these are production cars" test - and not the current "this is early experimentation, we are trying to figure out how to make them" stuff that they are selling to Signature reservation holders.
So yes, if they ship 10k Model 3 in 2017 and 100k Model 3 in 2018, yes, then I'll reconsider reserving whatever their next car will be. Until then, I consider anything that Elon promises (and by extension, Tesla announces) as empty marketing BS with no actual reality behind it.
Oh, lest I forget the standard disclaimer. I love my car, best car on earth. I believe in the vision of Tesla. Yada, yada, yada. I guess I'm tired of all the broken promises and blatant lies.
Or as I put it in another thread:
The Tesla Model S P85D. 85kWh battery(1), 691hp(2), with hands free on-ramp to off-ramp driving(3) and a navigation system that ends range anxiety(4)!
(1) of which 77kWh are usable
(2) of which up to 463hp are usable at any time
(3) as long as your hands are on the steering wheel at all times
(4) because it annoys you so much with idiotic routing, outdated maps and missing features that you forget to worry about range
to which ScepticMatt added
(5) Purchase price after "gas savings" using $3.3 per gallon and a 20 MPG car.
Sorry about the rant... I guess if I didn't care about all this so much, it wouldn't make me so angry...
I would love to replace my S with a tricked out Model 3. But with our current tax structure that seems unlikely to happen. Our country has just put a stiff (and getting stiffer) tax on BEV's so my tax-free Model S might be the last BEV for a long long time. Sad really because the Model S is a bit too big for my taste.
We are planning to reserve a M3 and will buy one if the M3 meets our design expectations. Design is very important for us. Because of this fact we are driving Italian cars up to now and owned Europes car of the year from 1968 NSU Ro 80 with Wankel engine for about 25 years but the fuel consumtion was comparable to American gas guzzlers and had of course nothing to do with sustainability. It was an interesting engine because it also didn´t require to change the up and down movement to a rotation - the only similarity to an electric one. The MS is very well designed and we would like that the M3 is a smaller MS.
Best regards from Germany
I'll be putting deposits on 2 for sure, to insure our family is all EV.
The poll is missing my choice, which is the following:
combined with "I live in Europe so it makes no sense for me to reserve one at the beginning as I'll be end of the queue anyway"
The Model 3 is going to have to be something special for me to want to give up the Model S that I drive every day. Not sure I want to go there.
If the car really looks good after the first year of production, then maybe I will take a look.
I definitely want one... I'm just not sure if I can give up our current Model S for it. The wife also wants a Model X, and I don't think I can convince her that I need a Model S and a Model 3 before she gets her Model X. Not that I need two cars in the first place.... but I want! It would be nice to have a super-fast smaller car since the Model S is huge and takes up the garage space.
First world problems...
Agree with above. Looking at the M3 for my wife but I'd have to see evidence they come through on fixes for the MS plus necessary changes to their corporate communication and transparency first.
Model 3 reservation time is the start of a decision point.
Reserve M3 based on release information
Pick up a CPO Model S instead
I'll probably reserve a Model 3 then make the purchase decision when my reservation purchase option comes up.
By then there will be more AP cars in the lower end of the CPO pool.
I might reserve. Concerned about the quality of the first year ones after seeing stuff about the X. Not going to waste time to drive it(if it is operational) to the then very busy service center to fix silly issues that should have been caught in quality control.