Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you use a windshield sunshade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Living in AZ, i find it invaluable and use it nearly everyday when i go out. Its reduces heat noticeably and adds privacy, e.g., when i snooze at a rest stop on a road trip. I also use it when dog is in the car and in dog mode, because its less likely that some do gooder who sees the dog and doesnt read the dog mode text will decide they need to call the cops on me for animal abuse.

Reactions: Big Earl
Covercraft - several cars, many years. And as JJrandorin mentioned, just reach behind the passenger seat and lay it on the floor, easy-peasy. Never liked those cheap ones that you have to roll-unroll or do a coordinated clockwise/counter clockwise twist to stuff it back in a pouch. And no-one wants to see your cardboard sunglasses in the windshield - OK if you're a teenage girl. Always go for the quality product or you'll be cursing everytime you use your cheapie.... :) (mic drop here.... )

Reactions: bobbyjae
I use the heat shield model Got it from Amazon
I got the gold with black back its great when your parked and charging
rolls up and I put it in the foot area of the back seat
Very light weight had it for my model 3 and it fits perfect on the Y
its the best
Covercraft is too big once you go heat Shield you wont go back
i use the heat shield, gold, from amazon. wish I had gotten covercraft.

Why, velcro catches on my tie/polo shirt when rolling up and snags.... Dumb maybe but real. I've ruined 2 shirts and 1 tie.... uggg

Works/blocks heat and keeps temps down on sunny summer days.

Custom Windshield Sunscreen - Covercraft

I've used all types, and this one works best for me in all my cars. I like that it's very stiff, and it rejects ALL heat.

I don't do it for the heat so much as to keep the vinyl dash from premature aging.

The best IMO, i use the hard foldable cover. I’ve also used the head shield, but it doesn’t cover as well as the hard cover. (Also looks funny after heavy use) As far as cost, i always have to laugh when people are aghast at the cost. I got mine when they had a sale, no complaints and it fits perfectly. The only pain is storing it if you have other people in the car. But it’s quick to put up and efficient.

Reactions: bobbyjae
I just ordered two covercraft as everyone seems to have amazing experience with them. Wow they def are pricier than any others I’ve ever owned. My wife’s model 3 is parked outside during work so she def would benefit from this in the summer. I figured the shipping cost was about half the cost of one so I ordered one for me as well for days when we go to the beach.

Turning on climate control prior to heading to my car has worked amazingly. So happy I didn’t go with tints this time around and loving the OEM look. Now with this windshield cover, it will keep the steering wheel, dash and seats cool. Probably a good thing for the screen too.

I’ll let you guys know how it works out.

I’ve used Heatshield for my previous cars but wanted something more compact so I tried this one just for giggles since it’s inexpensive. It’s Tesla specific so it fits better than the generic ones. Works well. I don’t bother with undoing the Velcro by the rear view mirror. I just slide it over and around.

EcoNour Tesla Windshield Sunshade | 240T Polyester Shield for Tesla Model 3 Sunshade | Superior UV & Heat Protection Tesla Model Y Sunshade | Foldable Car Interior Tesla Accessories for Summer https://a.co/2A2LolP

I just bought the cheapest one I could find on Amazon, $15.
Protection from direct sunlight is good, but also agree that after a short period of time the interior temp will rise no matter what type of sunshade you put up.
Why pay $75 for a sunshade that does the same thing as a $15 one does.
Agreed. I’m scratching my head why folks pay upwards of $100 for a sun shade. My $20 noname shade off Amazon works for me. I just want to minimize the amount or time the cabin overheat protection kicks in during the day and avoid a hot seat and steering wheel when I get in. I must be missing something here.

Reactions: rjpjnk
Agreed. I’m scratching my head why folks pay upwards of $100 for a sun shade. My $20 noname shade off Amazon works for me. I just want to minimize the amount or time the cabin overheat protection kicks in during the day and avoid a hot seat and steering wheel when I get in. I must be missing something here.
I had the same goals and those $20 products didn’t serve me well and led me to more expensive, and higher quality options.

I stayed with CoverCraft on multiple cars because it truly provided full coverage and performed as advertised. I tried many cheaper options for years and they either didn’t last long, was difficult to fold/store, and/or were too flimsy with poor fit/coverage. To me, the many $20 ones I tried simply didn’t work well enough and I wanted better. In fact I still have one of those $20 foldable double-ring designs in my garage that passed the return window. It looks new but I don’t even want to give it to a friend because I care about our friendship. I keep forgetting to take it to the donation center.

My CoverCraft wasn’t $100. It was around $60 IIRC. A lot more than the $20 variety but I only needed to buy the CoverCraft once and my oldest one is going on seven years old and still looks and works like new. Whereas I’ve been through multiple cheaper $20 varieties. This was my long way of saying: Give it a few years and the value of a CoverCraft will show.

A tech YouTuber says it best with the tagline, “buy it nice or buy it twice”. Good advice.

Last edited:
Regardless of the air temp if the black steering wheel is in direct sun it can get too hot to touch.
Then, we need this:

1658940062462.png

Reactions: sleepydoc