Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you use a windshield sunshade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1 for Covercraft. I've had them for my previous cars and most OEM brands use them as the manufacture. I even bought one for my dad since he was using a flimsy tin foil in LV. These are designed to last, and I just place mine behind passenger seat. If I have more than 2 people in the car, I just toss it in the trunk. Using the cover drops the int. temp about 10-15 degrees even with all my windows tinted (but the roof).

Your best bet right now if covercraft isn't having a sale is Amazon.

Would be interesting to see a real world test of the interior temps after parking for 4 hours. Cheap sunshade vs Covercraft. I have a feeling the interior temps would be the same and the direct protection from the sun provided to the interior is the same.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Would be interesting to see a real world test of the interior temps after parking for 4 hours. Cheap sunshade vs Covercraft. I have a feeling the interior temps would be the same and the direct protection from the sun provided to the interior is the same.
It's really not a contest. The Covercraft is just higher quality, more durable, and easier to use - no magical powers should be inferred. Some, me included, are willing to pay for that quality and convenience. Many of use have tried the less expensive options in the past and have found them lacking. So if I'm going to recommend a product it won't be the inferior quality one just to save a few bucks short term.

It's really not a contest. The Covercraft is just higher quality, more durable, and easier to use - no magical powers should be inferred. Some, me included, are willing to pay for that quality and convenience. Many of use have tried the less expensive options in the past and have found them lacking. So if I'm going to recommend a product it won't be the inferior quality one just to save a few bucks short term.
Same experience for me. I started out with a Basenor sunshade and at first it worked fine, but the material started fraying - plus I would often hit the passenger (usually my wife) in the face trying to coil the damn thing back up. The Covercraft just looks and feels better - even if it doesn't keep the cabin temps down any better than the cheap ones, at least it will last longer and it doesn't require as much finesse to install and remove. Worth the money IMO.

Reactions: Dennisis
just ordered a Covercraft from amazon for my MYP. going to give it a try. If I don't liked, I'll return it and get a cheap one.

I don't get many hot days in my area. avg temp here is in the 60s. I just did a quick trip to Reno from CA and it was in the 90s! I had to use my wife Prius cheap sun screen and it barely cover my windshield. But it works. Wasn't easy setting it up or putting it away, probably wasn't the right size.

figure this is going to be a one time purchase and I can transfer it from MY to MY. If you're going to drop over 70k for a car, $75 sun screen won't hurt u. A cheap one is around $20 so no big deal. I always believe in better material stuff if you planning to use it often. If I have a nice sun screen thats easy to use and put away, I probably would use it more to protect the interior from the sun. Plus, I kinda liked how it make it harder for thieves to look inside your car and see what u have. My windows are tinted too so its a plus! I lived in the Bay Area where break in happens anywhere and anytime!

Thanks for the useful comment buddy, you're a real value add to the conversation.
Well you stated you bought the Covercraft because your steering wheel started to bubble due to the heat from the sunlight.
I was just merely pointing out a cheaper alternative if you’re just looking for something to block the sun from hitting your steering wheel. 🤷‍♂️

Well you stated you bought the Covercraft because your steering wheel started to bubble due to the heat from the sunlight.
I was just merely pointing out a cheaper alternative if you’re just looking for something to block the sun from hitting your steering wheel. 🤷‍♂️
And then you have to spend time cutting it just right to fit the windshield and creasing it just right so you can install it. If you think this is viable, sounds like you should go into business creating these…🤷‍♂️

Reactions: TMYB-C1
Perhaps the reply from @Kairide was indelicate, but he does have a point. A hot steering wheel isn’t a good argument for getting a covercraft over a cheaper alternative.
Thank you for recognizing my point.

All you need is something to shield/block the sun. Of course, all you need for transportation is a chevy spark. ’nuff said.
We’ll actually all you need is a bicycle.