Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you wash your panels? If so, how?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm. Since his array is on the ground, maybe he'd let me clean a few panels. The problem is he's never gotten is SE access and I don't think he cares about monitoring the output so no way to monitor panel level output without getting into the account. He's the type that wouldn't know until is massive true-up came after a year.
Oh, that is too bad. It would have been a good and fun experiment.

TL ; DR, I have a company do it, I see some extra production but not enough to pay what it costs me for the company to do it, if you can do it yourself safely and live somewhere where it doesnt rain a lot (like we both do) it might be worth it.

same here (2-story house, tile roof), though the last time i had my panels cleaned it was after the huge fires in the fall of 2020 and my production was way down, so i think the money probably did work out in my favor the last time... or at least i broke even.

Single story home with easy and safe roof access. Live in an agricultural area (wine grapes are surprisingly dirty in situ - also have an equestrian program about 200 yards away). 14 years of experience and data. General cleanliness (when the panels are visibly dirty on the lower third of each panel) - cleaning yields a 4-5% improved output over consecutive days. Last year with the fires - the ash accumulation was impressive - after the last ash fall, cleaned and got a 25% improvement day over day. Consecutive days for all of my measurements have the same weather and cloud conditions. I keep some pretty meticulous records for the entire life of my systems - OCD can be a benefit at times.
I have tried many different methods and have settled on the following:
23 foot extension fiberglass and aluminum pole with soft bristle 24 inch wide broom. Standard hose that will jet water to the full 24 foot length.
Early morning task, before the sun starts warming the panels - they are already damp from the morning dew. Work from the top down. Quick spray to make sure they are fully wet. Run the broom over the panels (no extra pressure, the weight of the broom head plus handle is plenty). Immediately rinse with water (no additives or soap). Panels glisten when done.
General frequency is 3 times per year (after final spring rain, mid-summer and early fall before the rainy season).
We essentially get zero rain May 1 thru October 31 - so May, July, September is the basic schedule.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
How much did they charge?

I know I am not @astrorob but in my case, the company charges per panel and I have 34 panels. I think it works out to like $199 or $209 or something like that. I really (really) like the guy who does it, though. he is a small window washing business, who has been in business in my city for like 12-15 years. Super communicative, very technology savvy (has app that tell you when hes on his way, digital invoicing, etc etc)

He also does EXCELLENT work on my windows (and solar panels). I feel I am overpaying a bit when I have him do it, frankly, but I like supporting small businesses when they do a good job. Hes also a huge tesla fan, so we always chat about tesla vehicles, powerwalls, etc when he comes.

IMO, all this stuff in not necessary. Just add one more panel and do not worry about it :)

Thats @nwdiver 's solution, just get a rough estimate of how much washing them saves you, then add another panel or two and dont worry about it.

Reactions: nwdiver
So I'm basically saving $500 month (I do it twice for 24 panels). If I couldn't do it myself, I don't think I'd spend the money. I'd rather take the $6K I am going to save per year not cleaning and add more panels ;)

I dont know about @astrorob , but I only get mine done like once every year or year and 1/2 or so, when I get my windows cleaned. I dont think anyone paying for this would have it done more than a couple times a year at most, so. I think you are saving 300-400, not 6k, lol.