Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you Wave or Wave Back at other Tesla drivers on the road?

Do you Wave or Wave Back at other Teslas on the road?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a car enthusiast and have been a member of numerous car clubs over the years. When out driving cars like my Miatas, Z3s, Boxsters, etc, I would wave at other drivers of the same type of car and they would usually would wave back (as would I).

I have had my Model X now for just over a month. Recently, I have been taking to waving at other Tesla drivers but I don't see them waving back.

What do you guys do?

Not in my city. We have Teslas like Toyotas over here.

Although on road trips to other states I noticed other Tesla owners like to meet each other :p

Yeah...same here. I live in San Diego and frequently drive my Tesla to Los Angeles. Lots of Teslas but no wavy-wavy. I think that is unfortunate and I can't help but see it as people being elitist.

Andrew

IMG_0004.JPG

Maybe we should all start doing this instead of waving?

I am a car enthusiast and have been a member of numerous car clubs over the years. When out driving cars like my Miatas, Z3s, Boxsters, etc, I would wave at other drivers of the same type of car and they would usually would wave back (as would I).

I have had my Model X now for just over a month. Recently, I have been taking to waving at other Tesla drivers but I don't see them waving back.

What do you guys do?

I would imagine that its because living in California, every 5th car is a Tesla, you wouldn't be able to wave as fast as they come at you. Not my thing, but certainly not "elitist" as another poster seems to feel.

I am always excited to see other Teslas on the road. My wife thinks I'm nuts. I'm not doing a good job of waving, though.

I am trying to drive with my hand on the door so I can pop the window more quickly since I find myself waving with my arm hidden behind the A pillar. The "at least we have autopilot in this stop-and-go traffice wave" is my favorite.

I'm going to make a conscious effort to wave at M3 owners because we're all part of the same mission and the community. No need for this pretentiousness.

What do you guys do?

In my neck of the woods, where 2-3 model 3 sightings a week has been common for months (I commute past Tesla HQ), waving at all the teslas would be downright dangerous. It would be as time consuming as waving at all the corollas on the road. :p

Also, tesla owners don't really have the same connnection to the actual car as a typical car enthusiast, which is what I think ties owners of other models together. When a jeep or an Alfa or a corvair (for some unfathomable reason...) owner waves at another, there's an acknowledgement and understanding of the deep relationship each have with their car.

For most tesla owners, the car is just a shiney new appliance. A talking point. For enthusiasts, its mostly just physical representation of what the company stands for, which is really what carries their attention and interest.

Ditto for North County San Diego. It's a running joke in my family that no one gestures back at me (note: it's all X on X action - too many S's). I've tried the 1-finger wave, 2-finger wave, 3-finger wave, the Tesla Nod, the Today Show wave, and even flashed a few (headlights!). Every time I'm ignored I think, "this is exactly why some people think owners are d-chy". I see you, bright blue one. I see you, too, silver metallic 70D. And you, badgeless wonder. I know you're a 60 masquerading as a humble P100DL, but I don't think any less of you - you're the right product for that buyer and I consider you family. Someone please break me out of this dry spell. I'm a laughing stock in front my kids.

I always try to wave or give a head-nod if I see other Tesla and/or EV drivers...usually only get the wave back about half the time, but still pretty cool when it happens. I will continue to do it as I love the feeling of being part of a growing EV family/community. I think it's a fascinating cultural and social shift that is happening and lucky to be a part of it. :)

Ditto for North County San Diego. It's a running joke in my family that no one gestures back at me (note: it's all X on X action - too many S's). I've tried the 1-finger wave, 2-finger wave, 3-finger wave, the Tesla Nod, the Today Show wave, and even flashed a few (headlights!). Every time I'm ignored I think, "this is exactly why some people think owners are d-chy". I see you, bright blue one. I see you, too, silver metallic 70D. And you, badgeless wonder. I know you're a 60 masquerading as a humble P100DL, but I don't think any less of you - you're the right product for that buyer and I consider you family. Someone please break me out of this dry spell. I'm a laughing stock in front my kids.
My kids make fun of me too, "there's a Tesla, are you going to do that weird peace sign?"

I usually get a response back, but I'm not in California.