Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Documenting CPO in Tennessee - new MS owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yeah the trade in was an estimate but not a full quote yet, since they told me it would only be good for 14 days/500 miles. Hopefully the value doesn't drop too much while I'm waiting on them.

I got my quote from carmax. They matched accepted my quote in the first week. Still they honored it after the 4 weeks it took them to finish the cpo process.

I got my quote from carmax. They matched accepted my quote in the first week. Still they honored it after the 4 weeks it took them to finish the cpo process.
interesting. If I understand you correctly, you're saying that you went to CarMax and got a quote, and then asked Tesla to match it. Tesla did match it and kept their end of the deal even when the time finally came to trade in four weeks later, correct? Were you trading a Tesla or some ICE car. It could be that they are keen on extra leniency for Tesla trade ins because they resell those for a big profit margin. They pass ICE cars on to the highest bidder. It does seem like they advertise to multiple dealers to try and get you the best trade in deal though.

DC emailed and said she's OOTO, so list of repairs coming from service tomorrow. In the meantime she told me to ask all the questions I can think of so between her and the service folks they can get them all answered. Wondering if people here would comment on the list I have an add to them so I don't miss anything. Here's what I have so far:

What is the charge history of the car? Give me a list?
How many fast DC charges has it had? What is the counter currently at for lower speed super charging? Is the car already in low speed superchargers mode?
What is the max charge power? Is it still >90kw? What is the stock charge power on a P85?
What is the max output of the drive unit and battery? Did the previous driver punish the car enough to cause Tesla's software limitation to kick in?
What is the stock max drive unit output power of P85? What is the current power?
TPMS. If I buy tires from a 2015 or later car are they going to work on mine?
What work has the car had done in the past three years? Warranty work? such as replaced drive unit, battery, wheels, etc.
What after market mods does the car have?
What retrofits can be done to the car? (currently only know of LTE upgrade).
The answer to the above depends on what is on the car already. Does it have folding mirrors? parking sensors?

Finally, I am agonizing about not getting a D car. They have more range, which is valuable, more power, and they have AP1. But they're a $15k boost over what I'm already paying. Does anyone know: can cars that don't have the AP feature listed in the options be upgraded after the fact, like via a software upgrade? Or isthe way they do CPOs, all cars that were sold with the tech built in have the capability then enabled in the car and then it's listed as an option?

No, you ordered a 2013, so it won't ever be able to be upgraded to AP.

As far as service history goes, Tesla will not provide the records, but if you ask specific questions about specific items, they will answer those.
Thanks, yeah knew that 2013s couldn't. I was trying to ask about later cars (I realize my convoluted post doesn't read that way). It seems on the CPO site if they are late enough models, they automatically have ap. It seems like regardless of if the option was paid for, Tesla is selling the CPO with the option enabled (which boost the resale of course). A p85d for $75k with AP1 seems really nice, but too expensive (no 85d's have been showing up for a while, guess they're all gone!).

Thanks, yeah knew that 2013s couldn't. I was trying to ask about later cars. It seems on the CPO site if they are late enough models, they automatically have ap. It seems like regardless of if the option was paid for, Tesla is selling the CPO with the option enabled (which boost the resale of course). A p85d for $75k with AP1 seems really nice, but too expensive (no 85d's have been showing up for a while, guess they're all gone!).

Gotcha - I haven't seen any on Tesla's CPO site that were AP capable but didn't have it enabled. If you found one private party without AP turned on, then yes it could be software enabled for whatever the going rate is now. All cars after the AP announcement were built with the hardware as far as I know.

The CPO site is odd. When I started looking there were hardly any cars on it, and you HAD to contact an advisor to see the full inventory. After months, they finally did a mass dump onto the site and I suddenly had a few cars in my price range to choose from. So you might contact your advisor and see if any AP cars are out there but unlisted. I know someone here just picked up a nicely loaded one in the high $60s.

Reactions: raphy3
Found a 2014 MS 85 for $67k on the 30th of April I am currently waiting for on the ev-cpo site.
Here's how it was equipped...

EXTERIOR Black Solid Paint All Glass Panoramic Roof 19" Silver Cyclone Wheels
INTERIOR Black Leather Seats Matte Obeche Wood Décor Black Alcantara Headliner
CHARGING Free Supercharging Dual Chargers
OPTIONS Tech Package with Autopilot Smart Air Suspension Ultra High Fidelity Sound

• Informative
Found a 2014 MS 85 for $67k on the 30th of April I am currently waiting for on the ev-cpo site.
Here's how it was equipped...

EXTERIOR Black Solid Paint All Glass Panoramic Roof 19" Silver Cyclone Wheels
INTERIOR Black Leather Seats Matte Obeche Wood Décor Black Alcantara Headliner
CHARGING Free Supercharging Dual Chargers
OPTIONS Tech Package with Autopilot Smart Air Suspension Ultra High Fidelity Sound
That's a good one. Is that a regular 85 or an 85d?
I'm a bit on the too picky side and wanted a d or p for the extra acceleration

lol...I've not looked at the CPO sites since placing the deposit for this very reaction. Reminds me of cell phones. Could be the same; going to charge it on a similar schedule as a cell phone.
Oh yeah the DEFINITELY want you upgrading your car once every two years. I think a lot of people are renting so that they can do so. I'm more of a 5 year keeper myself.

I agree; Drive it until it decides to make you upgrade; I've heard 700k miles is the estimate.
Wow. Now that is a good argument for me to upgrade to the 85d with AP, if the car really lasts that long. The D gives more range, almost 300miles, and the car is slightly newer. OTOH it's 10k more plus loss of 1k deposit. If I were to keep a car that long it would require no long term "but I wants teh other thingz" sentiments.

Problem with changing this far in the process though: timeline restarts from zero!

interesting. If I understand you correctly, you're saying that you went to CarMax and got a quote, and then asked Tesla to match it. Tesla did match it and kept their end of the deal even when the time finally came to trade in four weeks later, correct?

Yes. Carmax gave me a higher offer than Tesla which Tesla accepted and honored for customer convenience. I traded in a '14 Subaru Forester XT Touring, fully loaded.

• Helpful
I watched the CPO sites for about 4 months before I found my 85D. They are hard to come by but do show up from time to time.

Has pano, AP1, 19" cyclones and all options (except dual chargers and jump seats) for 71k. They put on new nose cone, which I really appreciated since my state does not require a front license plate. Overall, my CPO experience was pretty nice.

I watched the CPO sites for about 4 months before I found my 85D. They are hard to come by but do show up from time to time.

Has pano, AP1, 19" cyclones and all options (except dual chargers and jump seats) for 71k. They put on new nose cone, which I really appreciated since my state does not require a front license plate. Overall, my CPO experience was pretty nice.
Thanks for your input. Yeah that is sort of the price range I am seeing. There is one on there now for 67500. That's 9500 over my current reservation, but with $1k deposit loss that's 10500... If someone just buys it I won't have to waffle anymore, lol. My advisor didn't sound very happy to my indecision this late in the process.

So my CS emailed later last night and said: two weeks to P85 delivery! Repairs are minimal, including wheel repair, windshield replacement, painting bumper and hood, remove sun roof chattering, remove noise from passenger seat when moving (may require new seat).

She listed things o could add to the car and lised red calipers and nav, both of which the car should have already! I asked her for some clarification....

So just an update on my last two posts
1) my advisor emailed and said that AWD cars do not have nearly 300mile range, instead it is only a few miles more than the rwd versions. They have a typo on the CPO site that lists 85D at 295 miles and 85/P85 at 265. That's a pretty big typo that sent me into a tizzy worrying that I was getting way less range than I could. Now that it seems the ranges are actually closer, that removes one of my worries.
2) he also said that my DS screwed up and listed options for sale that the car already has. He apologized for that.

So that clears those two things up. Really the only thing I lack then is AP. I haven't been able to justify the extra $10k, so I am on the verge of keeping this P85 then.