Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Documenting CPO in Tennessee - new MS owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just my opinion, but you won't miss AP if you never had it in the first place. You stated your #1 was power/acceleration, and these cars don't disappoint (and I say that as a 60D driver).

I've owned mine for about 2.5 months, and my AP2 usage has been minimal. It's not that I haven't been able to use it, but I enjoy driving the car so much that I don't desire to use it. Perhaps I'll change my mind once the luster wears off and a move to the burbs means a longer bumper to bumper commute home.

I had a 2014 P85+ loaner a month ago, and while I like the smoother ride of my car a bit better (19 inch coils vs 21 inch SAS), I certainly understand the draw of that level of acceleration. At this point, pull the trigger and don't look back.

• Helpful
Reactions: raphy3
Great to hear about your experience and thanks for sharing. It sounds like you didn't mind the delay too much. I would not mind if they came and told me "hey we need to replace your DU and it's gonna be another week". After that, replace the battery and you have practically a brand new car! :D

Since you got the LTE, do you know what other options there are for retrofits? My DS hasn't got back to me yet on that, but she did say it would take a few days.

That seemed to be the only retrofit option available. Now that my younger stepdaughter has experienced mine and a P85DL...well, she's still ok with my car. :)

My DS did keep in touch with me and when I left her messages, she would call me back in a timely fashion. Other than tint and a cover for the sub-trunk, I haven't done anything else. I am going to order new floor mats though.

• Informative
Just my opinion, but you won't miss AP if you never had it in the first place. You stated your #1 was power/acceleration, and these cars don't disappoint (and I say that as a 60D driver).

I've owned mine for about 2.5 months, and my AP2 usage has been minimal. It's not that I haven't been able to use it, but I enjoy driving the car so much that I don't desire to use it. Perhaps I'll change my mind once the luster wears off and a move to the burbs means a longer bumper to bumper commute home.

I had a 2014 P85+ loaner a month ago, and while I like the smoother ride of my car a bit better (19 inch coils vs 21 inch SAS), I certainly understand the draw of that level of acceleration. At this point, pull the trigger and don't look back.
Thanks for your point of view. I think you're right; I have been wondering if I would end up not using it much based on the info I've taken out of a bunch of threads on the subject. My wife also talked me down off of upgrading just for AP yesterday since the range became a non issue. So the worry/need is fading fast. Coupled with the reduction in all the other options I'd have to give up for the bigger price, I think I'm getting a good deal on the P85. It's time to officially stop hemming an hawing. :)
At this point I'm going to tell them that once they're done with the inspection and let me know what the range is (if it's good) we'll be out of the woods! T-2 weeks to delivery!

Reactions: ACExpress
That seemed to be the only retrofit option available. Now that my younger stepdaughter has experienced mine and a P85DL...well, she's still ok with my car. :)

My DS did keep in touch with me and when I left her messages, she would call me back in a timely fashion. Other than tint and a cover for the sub-trunk, I haven't done anything else. I am going to order new floor mats though.
I have to say, the whole experience has been good. TBH if Tesla didn't hold back on putting inventory out there in bunches, I wouldn't have had this mid-purchase crisis, so that's not the DS or advisor's fault, that's Tesla's business model showing some cracks. Another way they could avoid this kind of second guessing is just by getting the cars to people quicker. They should refurbish some of them proactively rather than waiting for people to reserve before making sure the cars are OK.

But all in all the people representing Tesla to me have thus far been really great and responsive.

So just an update on my last two posts
1) my advisor emailed and said that AWD cars do not have nearly 300mile range, instead it is only a few miles more than the rwd versions. They have a typo on the CPO site that lists 85D at 295 miles and 85/P85 at 265. That's a pretty big typo that sent me into a tizzy worrying that I was getting way less range than I could. Now that it seems the ranges are actually closer, that removes one of my worries.

I agree. That is a pretty big typo since it cost me thousands of dollars. Main reason I paid up to the dual motors is because of the 295 range stated on the site. A typo that was present on the site for a year or more? A typo that is STILL on the site today (just checked)!!

If the typo statement is true, then I do feel slightly cheated. But I do love this car! On the bright side, at least my car did not degrade 10% after only 36k miles! It is doing stellar if 270 was it's original max range.

I agree. That is a pretty big typo since it cost me thousands of dollars. Main reason I paid up to the dual motors is because of the 295 range stated on the site. A typo that was present on the site for a year or more? A typo that is STILL on the site today (just checked)!!

If the typo statement is true, then I do feel slightly cheated. But I do love this car! On the bright side, at least my car did not degrade 10% after only 36k miles! It is doing stellar if 270 was it's original max range.
yeah this seems pretty ridiculous right?! I mean if original range is supposed to be 295, I want that, and I would pay up for it! That typo has cost me some sleep trying to figure out what the deal is. I've been googling around and have been trying to piece together a story. The story seems to be that a while back Tesla was putting its own numbers out for their cars, and the ranges were way above EPA estimates. Somewhere there was an estimate for 85D that you'd get 295 miles under some very specific conditions. And under those same conditions the AWD cars would do pretty well too (above their 265 EPA ratings). So, eventually EPA came back with some drastically reduced ranges over Tesla's claims. It appears Tesla had used very slow driving speeds and not a lot of highway driving. Valid, but probably not as accurate as EPA. So, buying a new Tesla, on their site at one point they started to only list the EPA range; all of their models took a hit (some like 10%) in advertised range. As best as I can tell, the CPO site is listing the actual EPA range for the 85, but it's listing its claimed "pre EPA" range for the 85D in place of the EPA range. I've seen on various sites that the 85D should be about 270, or only 5 miles better than the RWD. But, I can find NO official numbers from Tesla anywhere except on the CPO site. Not inspiring confidence. And every time I ask a question about my car's range I get met with silence. Again, not inspiring confidence!

Is there any place to find the official, correct EPA range numbers for all tesla models?

yeah this seems pretty ridiculous right?! I mean if original range is supposed to be 295, I want that, and I would pay up for it! That typo has cost me some sleep trying to figure out what the deal is. I've been googling around and have been trying to piece together a story. The story seems to be that a while back Tesla was putting its own numbers out for their cars, and the ranges were way above EPA estimates. Somewhere there was an estimate for 85D that you'd get 295 miles under some very specific conditions. And under those same conditions the AWD cars would do pretty well too (above their 265 EPA ratings). So, eventually EPA came back with some drastically reduced ranges over Tesla's claims. It appears Tesla had used very slow driving speeds and not a lot of highway driving. Valid, but probably not as accurate as EPA. So, buying a new Tesla, on their site at one point they started to only list the EPA range; all of their models took a hit (some like 10%) in advertised range. As best as I can tell, the CPO site is listing the actual EPA range for the 85, but it's listing its claimed "pre EPA" range for the 85D in place of the EPA range. I've seen on various sites that the 85D should be about 270, or only 5 miles better than the RWD. But, I can find NO official numbers from Tesla anywhere except on the CPO site. Not inspiring confidence. And every time I ask a question about my car's range I get met with silence. Again, not inspiring confidence!

Is there any place to find the official, correct EPA range numbers for all tesla models?
Tesla Model S - Wikipedia

thanks? I checked Wikipedia a couple of times and noted two things. First, the reference for the 85D having "2% or 5 miles" more range than 85 uses as a reference the design studio. Guess what happens when you visit the design studio in 2017? Do you think it shows you the range for 85 cars that it no longer sells? (hint, you can't verify wiki's claims by following the reference). Also note that in the table on that page it lists the 85D range as 272, not 270, so yet more inconsistency. Finally, when shopping for Tesla's, while we're all doing research and googling around, we're supposed to be able to trust Tesla to represent what it's selling properly, so I took Tesla's site to supercede Wikipedia.

BTW, by "official" in my question I meant a site run by Tesla, where Tesla spells out its claims officially to us, their customers, not a third party. I would consider a third party like Wikipedia to be unofficial (especially as it's references don't work).

Last edited:
Got an update. Delivery is still on for next Tuesday, tentatively. They got the LTE in while they were doing the reconditioning work. They need to make sure the windshield sets on Monday, which pushes detailing to Tuesday, meaning my pick up would be the end of the day if they get the detailing done in time. The DS emailed me and said the range currently looks like 256 miles and should be 250 typical. So that's great news as far a degradation goes.

Got an update. Delivery is still on for next Tuesday, tentatively. They got the LTE in while they were doing the reconditioning work. They need to make sure the windshield sets on Monday, which pushes detailing to Tuesday, meaning my pick up would be the end of the day if they get the detailing done in time. The DS emailed me and said the range currently looks like 256 miles and should be 250 typical. So that's great news as far a degradation goes.

Very nice...so excited for you!! Did you get a full report of what was/will be replaced/refurbed?

Sounds good. My MS 13 has 256 miles of range at 100%

• Helpful
Very nice...so excited for you!! Did you get a full report of what was/will be replaced/refurbed?
Yes! In fact it was apparently in really good shape, which I believe given that the range came back so high. The car has 21" wheels which reduces the range by about 6 miles over the 19".

So the repairs were:
Replace windshield (seems lots of windshield replacements happening on cpos, not sure why)
Fix sun roof rattle
Repair wheels, not sure what this entails
Fix passenger seat noise when adjusting position
Fix rock chips in front bumper and hood

And those were all they had. During this process the various folks at Tesla all assured me that their standards are incredibly high, and I'm not going to show up there and find niggles because I have higher standards than them. I'm looking forward to them being proved right!

Yes! In fact it was apparently in really good shape, which I believe given that the range came back so high. The car has 21" wheels which reduces the range by about 6 miles over the 19".

So the repairs were:
Replace windshield (seems lots of windshield replacements happening on cpos, not sure why)
Fix sun roof rattle
Repair wheels, not sure what this entails
Fix passenger seat noise when adjusting position
Fix rock chips in front bumper and hood

And those were all they had. During this process the various folks at Tesla all assured me that their standards are incredibly high, and I'm not going to show up there and find niggles because I have higher standards than them. I'm looking forward to them being proved right!

Wow, yea...all that is just cosmetics aside from the windshield.

Wow, I didn't know that was a typo. My husband is looking to buy a CPO 85D, and he was really impressed with that 295 number. They also list the wrong 0-60 on the website, but that one works in your favor (an 85D is faster than 5.2)

They really need to clean that up.

Wow, I didn't know that was a typo. My husband is looking to buy a CPO 85D, and he was really impressed with that 295 number. They also list the wrong 0-60 on the website, but that one works in your favor (an 85D is faster than 5.2)

They really need to clean that up.
that's right. the 0-60 is waaaay off. It's about the same as a P85. Are they purposefully listing it as the original 5.2 to sell off more of the CPO P85s? BTW, pretty much all of Tesla's official 0-60 times are wrong, including the P85 which is also faster than what they list. A while back when I had a crisis over this my advisor called me and said that the 85D is slower than the P85. According to many forum members here, it's not so clear cut. So, the range issue really made me believe I was getting a bad deal on a P85 vs 8-10k more for a 85D. If the range truly is only like 5 miles more than a single motor car, then that is a moot point, and just leaves AWD and AP1 as sticking points. Ultimately they weren't worth the extra money plus loss of 1k deposit for me. But yeah they really need to clean that up, becuae I was trusting Tesla to do things correctly when I was shopping.

that's right. the 0-60 is waaaay off. It's about the same as a P85. Are they purposefully listing it as the original 5.2 to sell off more of the CPO P85s? BTW, pretty much all of Tesla's official 0-60 times are wrong, including the P85 which is also faster than what they list. A while back when I had a crisis over this my advisor called me and said that the 85D is slower than the P85. According to many forum members here, it's not so clear cut. So, the range issue really made me believe I was getting a bad deal on a P85 vs 8-10k more for a 85D. If the range truly is only like 5 miles more than a single motor car, then that is a moot point, and just leaves AWD and AP1 as sticking points. Ultimately they weren't worth the extra money plus loss of 1k deposit for me. But yeah they really need to clean that up, becuae I was trusting Tesla to do things correctly when I was shopping.

I can definitely confirm that the 0-60 is way off. I do believe they should immediately take the 295 range off website, if not true. I got hoodwinked from it since it was my greatest factor in getting the Dual.

But I will say I am very glad I paid up for AP1. I got a non-AP '14 85 loaner while my '15 85D was in the shop. To me, it was a huge difference. I know lots of people say they have no need for AP1 but experiencing the difference made me realize what I would have missed. It adds another level to an already awesome car.

If anyone is trying to decide between the two, test drive both- then decide. I know non-AP is cheaper and it is not for everyone but experience both first!

OK so I'm going to pick it up a 4PM central time, which means I'm leaving here at 2PM EST (have to cross a time zone to go get it).! Anybody have any last minute warnings, checklists, todo items I should be looking out for? I've got a big delivery checklist I copied off of other forum posts that I'll study before leaving.

OK so I'm going to pick it up a 4PM central time, which means I'm leaving here at 2PM EST (have to cross a time zone to go get it).! Anybody have any last minute warnings, checklists, todo items I should be looking out for? I've got a big delivery checklist I copied off of other forum posts that I'll study before leaving.

Nice...looking forward to pics.

Still not home :D Spent an hour and a half at Tesla and then major traffic = more than 3 hours back home. Tomorrow morning though. The car is beautiful. However, have been driving in the rain for about 2.5 hours on the way back!:rolleyes:

Oh and Tesla topped above carmax's trade value by over $2750. Nice because it also brought down my sales tax. The LTE paid for itself there.