Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does a new 70D still need dual chargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of the small towns on intermediate routes will probably never get a Supercharger or a ChaDeMo, but it is fairly reasonable to sometimes get a local business to agree to install a high amp level 2 station. One case was to fill the route from Boise Idaho to Bend Oregon. The most direct route goes through Burns Oregon. It’s a tiny town, and some Tesla drivers talked with the chamber of commerce, and they installed an 80A charging station on the back of the chamber of commerce building. Another case that’s being worked on is the route from Winnemucca Nevada to Boise, which people use to go to and from the SF Bay area. The middle point is a town called Jordan Valley Oregon. There is a steakhouse, ice cream shop, and coffee shop in the town, and people have been talking with some of them to see who is interested in getting a charging station installed, rather than having to use the RV park there. I don’t see any of those places willing to spend tens of thousands of dollars for a CHAdeMO station.

The 90D Model X has a range somewhere between the 70D and the 85D. Tesla chose to make a single 72-Amp charger standard in the X. I think that says something about the value and future that Tesla places on High Amp Level 2 charging (HAL2).
I think Tesla is really giving mixed messages on this. If they want to encourage the use of high amp level 2 charging they shouldn't have dropped the dual charger from the Model S order page and made it a service center installed item. Casual buyers (those who don't obsessively read the forums) don't know about dual chargers because it's not listed as an option when they order the car.

I've done quite a bit of long drives, and since a 40 amp single charger handles EVERY overnight charging situation (even a fully depleted battery) and Superchargers, CHAdeMO and RV parks can handle all my enroute charging, I have no need for more than 40 amps.

I also wouldn't use a J1772 unless it literally was the only choice, which has not happened yet. The higher powered J1772 (more than 30 amps) are as rare as an 80 amp HPWC, so I'm confident that there is some extremely unique situation where there is magically a perfectly placed 50-80 amp HPWC / J1772, but it's so rare that it's not cost effective. In Canada, the reverse is true... lots of well placed 70 amp stations and fewer CHAdeMO and Supercharger stations.

i have no intention to add the second onboard charger, even if it was half price.

Last edited:
Used the 70-Amp J-plug in Salida, CO tonight. Topped up in one hour instead of two as winter approaches in the Colorado High Country. On a cold winter night, driving from Pagosa to Silverthorne, it's very nice to have a HAL2 and dual chargers.

I would never configure a Model S without dual chargers.

I've never found l2 charging I could even get 10kw out of, but I guess this is regional. Usually I get something stupidly slow like 208v @ 30a.
Yes, most public level 2 J1772 EVSEs are only 30 amps. And, apparently, common commercial power is only 208 volts. So, that means 6.24 kW at max, making a second OBC pointless on those.

As for HPWCs at destinations, it depends on what size circuit they put them on. My work has 9 of them, and apparently they're all on 100 amp circuits, so 80 amps is their max output. (This is from mailing facilities. I have no ability to try.)