Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does acceleration boost affect range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unlike ICE, efficiency doesn't crater under hard acceleration- it goes down some due to increased heat losses, but nothing like ICE which reaches its peak modest efficiency only under max load (top gear). In lower gears, ICE is staggeringly wasteful, part of the big efficiency difference between the two types of powertrain.
Yes absolutely correct. In fact it is technically more efficient to accelerate quicker in a Model 3 and then coast as opposed to accelerating very slowly the entire time as long as both runs have the same average speed.

In this case Sport mode is actually MORE efficient than Chill mode. I am working on a video to demonstrate this.

The efficiency problem with the acceleration boost upgrade is that it not only encourages you to accelerate quicker but it will also encourage you to drive faster and that will obliterate efficiency above 70 mph.

Reactions: dfwatt
Upvote 0
It’s been discussed in another thread and this post specifically confirms it. What battery cells are in the 2023 M3 LR?

There would be no rhyme or reason for Tesla to reduce the EPA range of the Model 3 LR for 2023 if it still used the same Panasonic 82kWh pack as before.
That's the curve ball. Earlier in the year, it had Panasonic 2170 w/ rated range of 358. We have that model, but some time in the early Spring, they started shipping w/ LGs less energy dense 2170, and range dropped to estimated 333. Ours shows estimated range of 362 - but the battery is still virginal.

Upvote 0
That's the curve ball. Earlier in the year, it had Panasonic 2170 w/ rated range of 358. We have that model, but some time in the early Spring, they started shipping w/ LGs less energy dense 2170, and range dropped to estimated 333. Ours shows estimated range of 362 - but the battery is still virginal.
Yep people that got early 2023 deliveries had the Panasonic battery still, but people that received the LR after the months long production hiatus got the LG battery.

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Upvote 0
It’s been discussed in another thread and this post specifically confirms it. What battery cells are in the 2023 M3 LR?

There would be no rhyme or reason for Tesla to reduce the EPA range of the Model 3 LR for 2023 if it still used the same Panasonic 82kWh pack as before.
Very informative. I didn't realize they had made the switch for the 2023 cars.

Upvote 0
I don’t have the $2k speed boost, so what I referred to was happy feed passing cars.

I filled my battery a few days ago preparing for a long drive to 100%. 2 month old long range and it showed 310miles and not 333.
November in Seattle might be a little colder than say November in the South of France where I live...and where my two year old M3LR with the smaller 75kwh battery with about a 3% loss, would still fill to about 325 miles or more

Upvote 0
The option to buy the acceleration boost tempts me from time to time - cheap thrills, eh?
I know this : if ever I do opt for the boost range will be the furthest most from my mind as a consideration.
I'm sure that just as it was in my 1957 Chevy Impala, owned in 1966, when I pushed the gas pedal down so went the fuel gauge...down.

Upvote 0
The option to buy the acceleration boost tempts me from time to time - cheap thrills, eh?
I know this : if ever I do opt for the boost range will be the furthest most from my mind as a consideration.
I'm sure that just as it was in my 1957 Chevy Impala, owned in 1966, when I pushed the gas pedal down so went the fuel gauge...down.
I grabbed the boost for my 2018 model 3.
Lots of fun. Definitely feel the difference, and I really haven’t felt any range difference from pre-boost. There are so many variables that affect range, that I’m not sure I would notice anyway.
Go for it.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Upvote 0