Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anybody regret buying Model X for your main car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forget what you read about in reviews where people who drive the car a day gets worried about the doors.

The rear FWDs and the front powered doors are one of the best things about the X. They open in the tightest parking spaces, makes using the third row really easy and in rain they work much better than any umbrella.

If you look at the posts here your see just how reliable the doors are by the lack of issues people have had.

For bikes use a tow bar mounted carrier. Even if you could fit a roof rack the X is so high getting bikes off/on wouldn't be easy.

With the X now only coming with a 100D battery your have no issues with range, I have a 75D smaller battery X, 30K miles covered in 2 years across the UK, and France, zero issues.

Unless you need 7 seats get the 6 seater. The extra cabin space between the 2nd row passenger is really useful, and the third row passengers have much more leg room. You some boot space as the 2nd row doesn't fold flat, but its still a massive boot. In my book any car that can swallow the entire inlaws+child, and keep them all smiling even in the mini heat wave we had last summer qualifies to be called a 'good family car' :)

42414039144_87acd7eea4_z_d.jpg

But which ever version you get the car is fabously as a family car, comfortable, safe, quite, quick, practical, low running costs, I wouldn't swap our X for anything. I suspect once you test drive any X your realise just how dated the Discovery is in comparison:).

30053445767_f0abe97098_z_d.jpg

Thanks - do you lose much boot space having the third row seats?

I believe overhead racks are a no go on the Model X. I have seen a number of people have bike racks attached to the trailer hitch, like the one Tesla sells, Tesla | Model X

There is quite a lot of room in the back of the Tesla and also a Frunk in the nose. There is also second storage area under the rear cargo area that will hold 7 bags of groceries or 2 carry-on bags

Thanks - that looks like a practical solution. I have to say getting the bikes on the Disco roof is a bit of a faff as the rack is at about 1.9m and mountain bikes are not light!!!

Thanks - do you lose much boot space having the third row seats?

Depends on what your using it for I suppose?

Third row up you still have enough boot space for x2 full sized suitcases and also the frunk + space under the seats.

38334131402_a53bd25da6_z_d.jpg

I've also been able to fit x4 22inch wheels+tyres in our 6 seater whilst still having enough space to fit the kid seat for nursery pick up!!! Oh and I've managed to fit a fully built toddler/kids bed.

Regardless of seating option, you will not be short of space in the X, and with the rear FWDs loading stuff is easy.

27747707407_cc74e03f51_z_d.jpg

41948823955_854bd05140_z_d.jpg

Third row up you still have enough boot space for x2 full sized suitcases and also the frunk + space under the seats.

38334131402_a53bd25da6_z_d.jpg

I've also been able to fit x4 22inch wheels+tyres in our 6 seater whilst still having enough space to fit the kid seat for nursery pick up!!! Oh and I've managed to fit a fully built toddler/kids bed.

Regardless of seating option, you will not be short of space in the X, and with the rear FWDs loading stuff is easy.

27747707407_cc74e03f51_z_d.jpg

41948823955_854bd05140_z_d.jpg
This is quite IMPRESSIVE!

Surprisingly large - thank you.

My only regret is buying the car in November. I thought I was being savvy and buying before losing the tax credit.
The same car is now 15K less than what I paid.
Factoring in the tax credit, I'm still losing by 12K.
What other company cuts the value of their merchandise so severely?
I'm pretty PO'ed and likely will not buy another Tesla.

My only regret is buying the car in November. I thought I was being savvy and buying before losing the tax credit.
The same car is now 15K less than what I paid.
Factoring in the tax credit, I'm still losing by 12K.
What other company cuts the value of their merchandise so severely?
I'm pretty PO'ed and likely will not buy another Tesla.

I felt the same way for quite a few days. Including both my Tesla’s had FSD pre purchased. I still want Tesla succeed and I had to put into perspective that we are seeing an American car manufacturer that is so young compared to the big guys, creating new technology, while disrupting and major industry in several different ways, while striving to reduce carbon. It’s all pretty wild to be part of this and this is a bump on the road and huge ding to the brand for many of us, but every time I drive these stupid cars, I’m still blown away what they are doing. They still need to mature from a business and you’re seeing that new thought of telling people what’s going on via Twitter and then the business having to react to it. They are getting big and aren’t some small flexible startup that can turn on the dime.

I’ll tell you, they peed in my Cheerios and I’m still upset about a bunch of this, but I also still want them to win.

Thanks - that looks like a practical solution. I have to say getting the bikes on the Disco roof is a bit of a faff as the rack is at about 1.9m and mountain bikes are not light!!!

I see you are in the UK too. In which case this is a superb bike rack for the MX. Towbar and electrical connections are standard with the X, so it's plug and play convenience. Takes me literally 10 seconds to fit and remove the rack if the towbar is already in place and about a minute if I have to fit the quick release towbar first. Way more convenient than roof mounted carriers (which I've used many times on other cars to compare), especially with an SUV roof!

This can carry up to 4 bikes with the optional extension (not fitted in the photo)

Whispbar 3 bike tow bar carrier no. WBT31.

IMG_4525.jpg

I see you are in the UK too. In which case this is a superb bike rack for the MX. Towbar and electrical connections are standard with the X, so it's plug and play convenience. Takes me literally 10 seconds to fit and remove the rack if the towbar is already in place and about a minute if I have to fit the quick release towbar first. Way more convenient than roof mounted carriers (which I've used many times on other cars to compare), especially with an SUV roof!

This can carry up to 4 bikes with the optional extension (not fitted in the photo)

Whispbar 3 bike tow bar carrier no. WBT31.

View attachment 384765

Thank you - that looks perfect. Does it foul the boot lid at all?

Is there anything special about having the tow bar fitted?

Thank you - that looks perfect. Does it foul the boot lid at all?

Is there anything special about having the tow bar fitted?

The towbar comes as standard with the Model X. You just have to remove a small quick release flap in the diffuser and literally plug in the tow ball. The electrical socket is already installed behind the flap. In the summer when I'm mountain biking nearly every day, I just leave the towball installed, but it only takes a minute to remove or refit.

No problem with the tailgate. It has a quick release hinge to tilt it back out of the way when opening the boot.

It's a really solid installation and you can leave the rear camera up on the main screen to keep an eye on your bikes while driving.

IMG_4531.jpg

IMG_4532.jpg

Last edited:
The towbar comes as standard with the Model X. You just have to remove a small quick release flap in the diffuser and literally plug in the tow ball. The electrical socket is already installed behind the flap. In the summer when I'm mountain biking nearly every day, I just leave the towball installed, but it only takes a minute to remove or refit.

No problem with the tailgate. It has a quick release hing to tilt it back out of the way when opening the boot.

It's a really solid installation and you can leave the rear camera up on the main screen to keep an eye on your bikes while driving.

View attachment 384865

View attachment 384867

Thank you - very helpful.

Regards

Thinking of joining the electric movement and starting research into the limited options. Coming from a Discovery we liked the idea of the X but was wondering how practical it is with the passenger doors. We have a roof rack fitted most of the time for bikes and with a wife and two daughters the boot is filled to overflowing with just the shortest of vacations!!!

Not to concerned over range as living in the UK the most we probably ever do is 150 - 200 miles.

You'll be fine coming from a Disco. The X is a properly large car too with acres of luggage space. The 7-seater option is the most flexible for load and people carrying. The 3rd row seats and middle row bench both fold completely flat. The 6 seater is less flexible in that regard as the middle 2 seats don't fold flat. But it does have more comfortable rear seating. The 5 seater is the cheapest option, but you lose the 3rd row and don't really gain any extra load space. You simply get flat panels in place of the folding 3rd row seats and lose the rear HVAC unit too.

As gangzoom said above, the Falcon wing doors actually work really well, especially with kids. You'll be surprised how practical they are once you get over the future-shock!

We had a great time mountain biking with the MX last year. It's pretty much the perfect vehicle for the job and the performance is staggering compared to a Disco!

It's easy to get bogged down in the details with these cars. I had a couple of very minor niggles on delivery, really nothing to worry about and they all got sorted without any hassle. There have also been a few irritating software bugs over the various updates, but overall it just gets better over time. The overall experience has been a game-changer for me and it is easily the best family car we've ever had. There's nothing else I would swap it for today. Honestly. Well actually I would upgrade to the Performance model after the recent price drop, but that's it!

Last edited:
The overall experience has been a game-changer for me and it is easily the best family car we've ever had. There's nothing else I would swap it for today. Honestly. Well actually I would upgrade to the Performance model after the recent price drop, but that's it!

Sums it up for me!!!

I too recently found my self doing man maths on a £110K P100D L X :)

• Funny
Reactions: SimonT
I've owned my Model X for about a month now. It replaced a 2016 Audi Q5 3.0T I leased and will be turning in tomorrow.

I just got back from a 2-hour cruise in the Audi as basis for comparison.

Some of my observations in no particular order:
  • Ride quality: I was actually a little nervous about this - especially since I got the 22" wheels. The Model X ride is not exceptionally rough at all. Very happy about this. The Audi feels slightly more solid and potholes, road seams, etc. seem a little more muffled but I think this a reflection of the interior quality and not necessarily the suspension.
  • Features: Tesla is, of course, off the charts. The auto-open and close doors, walk-away lock, trunk opening *and closing* with FOB or screen, auto-pilot, navigation, etc. are incredible. I love all the different options and am surprised other manufacturers don't have some of these options as they are obviously common sense (walk away locking and trunk closing with FOB are 2 of the most obvious).
  • Handling: Coming from my mid-size Q5, the X is a bit of a beast. I'm still getting used to driving it but I don't picture myself throwing it into corners like I did with my smaller Q5. The spacious interior reminds me more of riding in a heli or plane than it does a car. Windshield probably has a bit to do with this. But it's a wide car and I feel a little less comfortable driving it than my Audi. However, perhaps I'll get used to this.
  • Interior: Love the windshield, console, center armrests, and overall look and design of the X interior. I got the creme interior with light headliner and it looks and feels quite luxurious. Road noise seems to be about the same as my Audi or perhaps just a smidge worse - nothing that far off though.
  • Seats: The one thing I'm NOT so pleased about are the Model X seats. I knew something was off with the seats when I started driving the X. Even with the lumbar completely off, there is still too much lumbar (though I will admit, I'm a sloucher). The length of the seat is a joke. I'm only 6' with a 30" inseam. I would hate to be taller or have longer legs. The seat is too damn short and there is no thigh extension - a feature which has appeared in German luxury sport sedans for decades. I haven't gone on any serious road trips but I'm seriously worried about the seats. They are crap. This was even more apparent when I got back into my Audi today with it's highly adjustable leather sport seats. The Audi seats are firm, cradle your body, and support you in all the right places. The X seats seem "puffy" with odd pressure points. The vinyl - oops, I mean "vegan leather" - feels like, well, vinyl. I much prefer leather with it's slight elasticity and overall better tactile experience.
  • Power: No question, the X is a beast. My Audi wasn't slow but nothing compares to electric motor torque and no shifting of the auto trans. The X is down-right scary when mashing it at 20/30MPH.
  • Price: Insane. I'm still having mini-panic attacks about spending this kind of dough on a car. I can afford it but I've always been thrifty and hope to retire in the next 10 years. I know I'm going to take a bath when it comes time to sell this depreciating asset in 3-4 years. I didn't really *need* such an expensive car. I'm not trying to keep up with the Joneses or impress anyone. I just wanted a car with auto-pilot and, being a gadget geek, love the features of the X. I was considering a Model 3 and even Turo'd one for a few days. But going from an Audi with all the trimmings down to a "Corolla with a battery" wasn't going to cut it for me. I also like the higher seat height of an SUV. Test drove a new Q7 with auto-pilot "like" features and, Tesla, for now, still has auto-pilot locked up. Still the best on the market. I may Section 179 the car. Going back and forth about this. If I do, I suppose it will slightly lessen the pain of the purchase price.
  • Build quality: Lot of people talk about this. Sure, the paint isn't as good as my Audi. Interior may not be as sound-proofed, and as well put together, panel gaps, and so on. But, overall, I haven't found any glaring issues or experienced any problems. Crossing my fingers on this one!
  • Electric vs. ICE: Getting an electric car was not the priority for me. Again, it was more about the auto-pilot and cool features. That said, the electric motor is nice - no shifting, no noise, great power, no gas stations, I have a 50 mile RT commute so no worries about range. I don't really take a ton of road trips either. I think I'm going to like this just fine.
  • Exterior: IMO, the X looks like a hungover pregnant whale with an under-bite. There are a few angles where it looks OK. The tail lights are interesting, the headlights USED to be cool but now that every other car on the road has a similar design it's not so unique anymore. From some viewpoints the car is sleek, I dislike the rear spoiler, not a fan of all the chrome (my Audi had the black optics package from the factory and all the chrome was blacked out), the wheels are very eye-catching, the mirrors are sort of odd - they seem a little small for the car and, ugh, more chrome. Meh.. I can take it or leave it. I like my 2016 Q5 better. But, after the first few months of owning a car the infatuation fades and I don't really pay attention to the appearance that much.
  • Falcon-wing doors: Don't have kids, rarely have any passengers, so they are a non-issue to me. Never use 'em. I worry about them malfunctioning (if I still have the car and it is out of warranty) and my garage is low and tight so I essentially can't even open them inside. I'd rather have normal doors but, again, not that much of an issue.
  • Misc: The X makes some weird-ass noises at low speeds or when backing out or parking. Sort of crunching/grinding noises. not very loud but loud enough to make me think "Mmm, what is that noise?" Any ideas on this one? Lack of color options. Blue and Red colors - bleccch! Black and White - boooring! Gray was my preferred color but ended up with black. Like all black cars it looks great... for about 1 minute right after it's washed.

• Exterior: IMO, the X looks like a hungover pregnant whale with an under-bite.
Never seen someone explain how this car looks so perfectly. The exact definition I was thinking of but couldn't put my finger on.

Trading in an Audi 2018 SQ5 in a couple days for a used 2018 P100DL. Super excited. Rented the Model X for a day and fell in love, can't wait to pick my own up later this week!!

• Misc: The X makes some weird-ass noises at low speeds or when backing out or parking. Sort of crunching/grinding noises. not very loud but loud enough to make me think "Mmm, what is that noise?" Any ideas on this one? Lack of color options. Blue and Red colors - bleccch! Black and White - boooring! Gray was my preferred color but ended up with black. Like all black cars it looks great... for about 1 minute right after it's washed.

Apologies for somewhat hijacking this thread, but my car also does this "crunching" noise when I go into reverse after the car has been off for a while. It stops after a few minutes of normal driving. Is that normal or worth asking the SC to look into it?

To answer the OPs question, I use this as my main vehicle and have no regrets. I love not knowing the current price of gas...

Apologies for somewhat hijacking this thread, but my car also does this "crunching" noise when I go into reverse after the car has been off for a while. It stops after a few minutes of normal driving. Is that normal or worth asking the SC to look into it?

To answer the OPs question, I use this as my main vehicle and have no regrets. I love not knowing the current price of gas...

It is the brakes. Look at the disk rotors. I bet before you drive they have a bit of red rust spots on them. This is common on all disk brakes and in no way effects their performance. The rust spots get knocked off after a stop or two. But the Brembo brakes the model X uses seem to be very susceptible. You hear this noise less when it is warm and dry.

Some ICE cars has this also, my BMWs do.

• Informative
Reactions: Spelly88