Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anybody regret buying Model X for your main car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016 75d X, with 26k on the OD.

Love the car, we have been through 2 winter, Best winter car, low cost of ownership.

We have taken trips that are 300 miles, 800 miles, 1600 miles, and round trip to FL of 3700 miles. Trust me when I say I have no range issue at all. SC are everywhere. If you choose the life style, you make it work. If you can't wait for charging, or like to drive 4+ hours without stopping, EV are not for you......

I have a reservation in for a X75D, to be picked up next week. I was super excited, and since I go on many road trips, I thought this would be a perfect fit because of the superchargers. After reading many forums and posts, I started to feel scared that the 75 would be incapable of making large trips. Many people said that for ANY trip, the 100 was required. I started to feel regret and searched for any posts saying that the 75 isn't a bad choice for long trips. So relieved to see someone with a 75 making trips like I would.

NY to Chicago is a breeze. Just avoid Cleveland's SC which is way out of the way (closer to Akron). I go directly from Erie, PA to Maumee, OH. (S 75D but I also did that with my 60D which had as much or less rated range as a X75D).

@1375mlm -- I went from Chicago to outside of Ithaca NY twice with my 60D before Tesla generously lowered the upgrade cost to unlock the extra 10kwh of capacity (75s are actually like 28kwh less capacity than 100kwh packs).

While an X75D's rated range is less than an S75D, it isn't less than S60D. Supercharging is nice as long as its not packed and gives you the full 95kw of energy. The only stressful trip we took was to see the eclipse and there were lines at all the superchargers and it was a mess (people cutting in line, people leaving their cars and not returning even after they were at 100%, etc.).

Hopefully Tesla continues to invest in their supercharger network and all will continue to be fine. There is no road trip vehicle like a Tesla with AP. Its so awesome (as long as you don't mind stopping every 3 hours or so for about 45 minutes).

I tend to average 53mph including charging time. So a 500 mile trip will take 10 hours. I drive at around 70-75mph.

Winter will take longer (EVs are less efficient so you'll need to charge more often). So plan accordingly. Use ev-tripplanner or Tesla's own website to help plan.

I've had my X for a year now, and I do not regret selling my Lincoln Navigator Extended at all - I feel like the X has more room inside to haul things. I can fit three sets of kids golf clubs in the trunk. The only thing that doesn't fit well is my husband's clubs, but he's 6'7" and has longer than normal clubs. :) I do wish, however, that we had gotten the larger battery. That's probably the only regret. We have taken lots of road trips, and the car will tell you how much to charge to get to the next supercharger, but we usually stay a bit longer for a little extra juice. We have the old 7 seat configuration because we have five kids. I have used the newer 7 seat version as a rental while they were working on mine and did not like it much at all. My kids are still pretty young, so I like having controls up front to move the seats around so the kids can get in and out easily. The newer version would be a pain for me because it would be hard to do car rider pick up/drop off if I had to get out of the car to let the kids in the back in and out. We added the tow package after we bought it because we have a dump trailer we haul around - we definitely get some looks when we're pulling that!! Lol!! I live in a very rural area, so my falcon wings get a lot of attention anyway. It was a little weird at first, but I love my car and have shown complete strangers my car.

Reactions: PrGrPa
How long are your long trips? I'm in the suburbs of NYC and regularly commute into the city. Day trips to Boston and DC are all easily done on my 75D. I've taken trips to Toronto, and I'm actually planning a trip to Chicago as we speak. (There's high speed charging at an average of 130 miles apart on that trip)

As for the falcon doors. Nobody in NYC cares about them. I've parked on the street and in the garages and I haven't been stopped or gawked out while in the city. You do need to be careful though parking on the street; I usually leave them on child lock because of the way they swing open. I've gotten more gawks from central/southern NJ. Usually it's a kid that goes "look Dad! It's a Tesla"

As for regrets, I don't regret buying it as my main car. I regret not getting certain options sometimes though.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat specifically or even see what kind of wear and tear my car has taken. I still have a fresh referral code for $500 in accessories and free supercharging if you want as well if that pushes you over the buying edge ;)

Yinn is a good guy. Trust this man.

2259DE5F-C7BD-4091-8737-E7EF22BFB62C.jpeg

6 passengers, 16 pieces of luggage.

Replaced both an Audi Q5 and a Honda Odyssey van.

Regrets? No.

60D upgraded to 75D has been fine. If you can afford 100D it's just more peace of mind.

You'll get a better idea once you actually own one but I don't have to carefully plan any trips.

I could leave right now for NY from CA if I want with 5% of the battery full. I can make it to my nearest supercharger.

Tesla has the infrastructure to make it easy for me.

Last edited:
I have grandkids and having the 7 seat would be great. I have 5. I like either the 5 or 7 because the seats fold flat enabling bigger cargo or even a sleeping mattress. I’m a camper. Real happy with the 5 except for family gatherings. I think the 7 seat is cheaper than 6. More flexible. I bought inventory and saved about 7K (had 1K on ODO). Add the 3K upcharge for custom order 7 seat and 10 K+ difference. Simply had to draw line on $ so went with 5 seat. IF I custom ordered I would spend $3K for the 7. But 10 K too much.
Thank you!

OP, if you want to know if anyone exists who regrets their purchase of a Model X, then they definitely exist. Just look around this or other Tesla forums. They exist.

If you are risk averse, this may not be the car for you. It really doesn’t matter whether other people love their Teslas or not. Everyone has different tolerance for different things.

When we road trip, we only take our Model X, even if we are going someplace with no charging infrastructure. Ski trips, beach trips, across the country... we always take the Model X. It does take a little more thought sometimes but it’s always been worth it to us.

Based on your posts so far, I don’t think this is the car for you right now. Down the road, when charging infrastructure is even more built out, when a bigger battery is available, etc. That’s probably when the car will be a better fit for you. For the car to be a fit for you now, you need to be comfortable with being on the leading edge of things. The car is awesome but not in every way.

For me, it has been a fantastic and versatile choice.

5 seater allows me to take another couple out to dinner in style, dog loves riding in the way back. Holds a tremendous amount of stuff when Costco shopping. I super quiet and comfortable on longer trips, and we enjoy our Supercharger stops as well as the free charging.

X handles great, very responsive and sure footed, both on road and off. We enjoy taking occasional dirt road side trips into the back country where the scenery is fantastic.

At night, on the highway, the headlights blaze a bright path. Clicking on auto pilot, when we feel confortable with it, takes a tone of weariness out of the longer stretches of open spaces. When the traffic backs up, the auto pilot is a blessing, as we can relax until the traffic opens up again, and not need to endure all the anxiety of stop and go traffic.

Best vehicle we have ever had.

View attachment 287680

6 passengers, 16 pieces of luggage.

Replaced both an Audi Q5 and a Honda Odyssey van.

Regrets? No.

60D upgraded to 75D has been fine. If you can afford 100D it's just more peace of mind.

You'll get a better idea once you actually own one but I don't have to carefully plan any trips.

I could leave right now for NY from CA if I want with 5% of the battery full. I can make it to my nearest supercharger.

Tesla has the infrastructure to make it easy for me.

Love the pic!
Is that OC? At least So CAL for sure :p

Reactions: MXWing
To be honest I have 2 big concerns that are stopping me

1. Range anxiety for longs trips. I don't like risking at all, that is why I'm pretty sure I will have range anxiety a lot
2. Falcon doors. I hate attention and I think those doors will cause finger pointers :) NYC People can you please share your thoughts on that

I had electric vehicles since about 2012, and actually made road trips with a Kia Soul EV! It did mean lots of planning ahead and couple times had to hang out since the planned fast charger was not in service. Can't speak for your area but mine is just littered with charging stations with fast chargers being strategically places along major routes.

So I have all of that plus now Tesla superchargers. Tesla can offer the same range as many gasoline vehicles, so don't see any 'range anxiety'... I guess being so limited range with my previous it showed me what can be done in a pinch.

Bottom line, you need to re-learn to drive a car. Once you get accustomed you'll realize you can squeeze out even longer ranges.

Keep the FWD closed, you won't need to open them when driving unless several passengers but I get what you mean for attention. It is what it is and suspect you'll be fine with it sooner or later.

I can almost guarantee you that you will find owning an electric very liberating as opposed to limiting. I also suggest taking a peak over at the other electric vehicle owner forums. The ones with far lower range, several posts of drivers making longer trips plus ideas how they max out their range.

Reactions: PrGrPa

1. Range anxiety for longs trips. I don't like risking at all, that is why I'm pretty sure I will have range anxiety a lot
2. Falcon doors. I hate attention and I think those doors will cause finger pointers :) NYC People can you please share your thoughts on that

I wouldn't worry about attracting attention in a metropolitan area. Teslas are common enough that most people don't pay too much attention. It's when you get into rural areas and states with fewer Teslas on the road that people start to gawk and point. I had some Ohio state troopers ride along side me for a solid five minutes on the turnpike just checking out the car. I got a friendly wave when they finally decided they'd had enough looking.

Regarding #2, there is a new setting that allows the FWD to automatically open on a low height setting to attract less attention. Poof problem solved

Reactions: WINGIT