Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone have a clue where this bolt might have come off my Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, cause I heard if you get the fabric undertray wet, it'll sag, tear and then fall off!

I wash mine all the time. That isn’t the issue. The issue is if you drive through a puddle at speed and the force of the water enters the gap between the fabric and metal (like a wave) it will rip it off.
This was a problem with earlier Model 3s. From what I understand, they issued a TSB to replace this with a plastic reinforced version of this cover. Mine’s an 07/2019 build that I’ve practically sailed with over extremely deep puddles @ really high speeds - no issues.

Here's a better picture of the head of the bolt. I changed the oil on my wife's civic today and planned on checking under the Tesla afterwards. But I forgot and had already put the the stands jack and creeper away. I checked under the front and the 3 bolts I could see were in tight. I couldn't see any areas that looked to be sagging. There isn't a washer any where around either. I'll check again later.

Attachments

• 20200112_164917.jpg
    20200112_164917.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 86
JH from what I can tell stands for Jinn-Her a Taiwan fastener manufacturer. It is a SAE bolt by the markings. I do not see this bolt coming off the car. I haven't checked every bolt on a Tesla but I would be very surprised if there are any SAE bolts on the car. The only time you see SAE on a car built in the last 15 years is from aftermarket accessories.

Come to think of it my garage door does sound a little different when opening and closing. I never would have thought to check that. Thanks I'll take a look at that when I get a chance.

We had a similar thread a month or two ago; and it turned out to be a bolt from the garage door itself. I’m going to guess that’s exactly what this is.

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51