Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone have the Rivian suv?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How would you compare Rivian Rs1 with the model X I am not sure which to decide. Tesla's constant price drop bothers me. Not so sure about buying another tesla

You already have one though, that you are considering selling, right?

Man do we have similar wifes lol. My wife hates it and won't drive it. She hates the wing doors because she feels it's too much of a show-off and doesn't like the attention. She dislikes how it rides and hates FSD with a passion. I feel sad to say but I might have to eventually sell this

There is a fair amount of rivian feedback in the Electric vehicles subforum, where that discussion goes:

(this thread has over 100 responses)

You already have one though, that you are considering selling, right?

There is a fair amount of rivian feedback in the Electric vehicles subforum, where that discussion goes:

(this thread has over 100 responses)

Thanks

I had a 2023 Model X and switched to the R1S in May because my MX was a lemon and Tesla ordered me to stop driving it in April due to safety issues with the airbag system shutting off, so here are some comparisons omitting those lemon related issues.

Self driving in the Rivian is far better than my MX (or my two prior Model S's that had AP1 and FSD). The Rivian does not veer to the center of the lines when a lane merges onto the freeway which Tesla has never been able to do. That was a huge annoyance with every Tesla I owned.

The ride is better in my R1S and far less jarring on big bumps on the freeway which made me cringe in my MX. Related to that, I also no longer am concerned about hitting a pothole and getting a flat since my R1S has the all terrain tires and my Teslas always had 21 or 22" wheels and low profile tires so I did a decent amount of swerving on bad roads.

The Model X has dysfunctional front doors that no longer open on their own because Tesla removed the sensors with no backup plan in place a year ago. It's annoying having to hit the open door button, let it open ~6 inches, wait two seconds for the motor to disengage, and then push/pull the door the rest of the way. Why bother having motorized doors if that is the only way to open them now?

The falcon wing doors were....annoying to put it lightly. I really thought I would like them during my 1.5 year wait for my MX to be delivered with how open the doorway would be, and how cool they look, but man, they suck to live with, I have two twin toddlers. Most of the time I hit the door handle to open them, they would stop after a few inches to a foot because they sensed an object (sometimes my toddler, and sometimes imaginary). Once that happened, I would have to open the front door, wait two seconds for the motor to disengage (addressed in the prior paragraph), then open the front door further, then reach in and hold the override button on the FWD for ~20 seconds to force it to open the rest of the way. Then I could finally load the first kid in. Meanwhile, I still have to repeat the same d*mn process on the other FWD to get my other kid in. Every once in a while, one of the FWDs would open all the way and I would feel so grateful that the Tesla gods smiled at me for once that I almost forgave Tesla for how ridiculously annoying the FWD were. Spending two minutes fighting doors to get my kids in/out of the MX every time was horrible.

Handling....this is close but the MX is definitely more sporty. The LR MX also felt snappier with the acceleration than the 840hp R1S which is...a bit laggier. Granted this is a ridiculous argument because these vehicles are both quicker than 99.9% of vehicles on the road.

Offroad...obviously this goes to the R1S. Snow will also be far easier with the R1S and won't require a tire swap every winter like I used to do on my Teslas.

Entertainment system....Navigation is better in the Tesla because it is based on google maps and has better routing/traffic info. Rivian is not bad though. The rest of the interface is about equal. Both are snappy and respond instantly (unlike my 2014 Model S that had a noticeable delay when buttons were pushed). Energy usage screen is better on the Tesla with the graph. Audio options are about equal. I like that Tesla gives everyone Slacker/LiveXLive, but paying for Tidal and using that in the Rivian is great since it is a much higher bitrate.

Efficiency....clearly this goes to Tesla. The MX is actually aerodynamic and is nearly 50% more efficient at highway speeds. The Rivian has a 35% larger battery though, so the range difference is minimal in comparison. I have solar covering 100% of my household usage, so the efficiency difference really did not affect me.

Range....this was the most eye opening difference for me. The rated range on the Model X (and all Teslas) is fake. You won't get it unless you are driving in optimum conditions. Summer driving will typically result in ~75% of the rated range on a road trip. Winter will be even less (though the heat pump change helped reduced the huge hit that sub-freezing temps used to cause). After 4k miles in my R1S with multiple road trips this summer, the rated range of 280 miles (with AT tires) is, well, real. If I need to go 125 miles, I will use 125 miles of range (+/- 5miles). It's consistent. Nearly all trips have resulted in using a few percent less than the rated range actually. Winter will definitely cause a drop as it does in all EVs, but how much remains to be seen for me since I have only owned it for 4 months. My MX was rated for ~340 miles. If I charged to 100%, I could drive it 200 miles (roundtrip to Seattle for me which is a common trip) and only have 40 miles remaining when I got home. I can now do that trip in my R1S charged to 80% and get back with 50 miles of range.

Regen...this is an easy win for the Rivian. It has STRONG regen. Probably double that of my MX/MS. There were some descending freeway ramps that my Tesla simply could not slow down enough on with full regen, but the Rivian fully slows and stops without touching the brake. More regen means more energy saved and more range too which is great.

Audio....Tesla wins. The sound system is simply better in the Tesla. An aftermarket sub for the R1S would do wonders to help though, and I am considering one.

Service...Rivian wins by about 100 to 1. I have had a service advisor come out and greet me happily both times I have been in. They explained exactly what was being done, the timeframe involved (overestimated both times which is great), and called me when they were done (which Tesla won't do). Rivian also answers the phone when you call service unlike Tesla.

Loaner cars....I have not had a loaner/rental car with Rivian, but the last time Tesla provided me a rental through Enterprise when my MX broke down, the Tesla service manager refused to pay the bill, and I had to sue her and Tesla in small claims to get reimbursed for THEIR rental. I think it's safe to say that Tesla loses here because there's no way Rivian could possible match the ineptitude that Tesla exhibited earlier this year.

Overall, I am much happier with my Rivian vs the MX but still miss my prior MS!

I had a 2023 Model X and switched to the R1S in May because my MX was a lemon and Tesla ordered me to stop driving it in April due to safety issues with the airbag system shutting off, so here are some comparisons omitting those lemon-related issues.

Self-driving in the Rivian is far better than my MX (or my two prior Model S's that had AP1 and FSD). The Rivian does not veer to the center of the lines when a lane merges onto the freeway which Tesla has never been able to do. That was a huge annoyance with every Tesla I owned.

The ride is better in my R1S and far less jarring on big bumps on the freeway which made me cringe in my MX. Related to that, I also no longer am concerned about hitting a pothole and getting a flat since my R1S has the all terrain tires and my Teslas always had 21 or 22" wheels and low profile tires so I did a decent amount of swerving on bad roads.

The Model X has dysfunctional front doors that no longer open on their own because Tesla removed the sensors with no backup plan in place a year ago. It's annoying having to hit the open door button, let it open ~6 inches, wait two seconds for the motor to disengage, and then push/pull the door the rest of the way. Why bother having motorized doors if that is the only way to open them now?

The falcon wing doors were....annoying to put it lightly. I really thought I would like them during my 1.5 year wait for my MX to be delivered with how open the doorway would be, and how cool they look, but man, they suck to live with, I have two twin toddlers. Most of the time I hit the door handle to open them, they would stop after a few inches to a foot because they sensed an object (sometimes my toddler, and sometimes imaginary). Once that happened, I would have to open the front door, wait two seconds for the motor to disengage (addressed in the prior paragraph), then open the front door further, then reach in and hold the override button on the FWD for ~20 seconds to force it to open the rest of the way. Then I could finally load the first kid in. Meanwhile, I still have to repeat the same d*mn process on the other FWD to get my other kid in. Every once in a while, one of the FWDs would open all the way and I would feel so grateful that the Tesla gods smiled at me for once that I almost forgave Tesla for how ridiculously annoying the FWD were. Spending two minutes fighting doors to get my kids in/out of the MX every time was horrible.

Handling....this is close but the MX is definitely more sporty. The LR MX also felt snappier with the acceleration than the 840hp R1S which is...a bit laggier. Granted this is a ridiculous argument because these vehicles are both quicker than 99.9% of vehicles on the road.

Offroad...obviously this goes to the R1S. Snow will also be far easier with the R1S and won't require a tire swap every winter like I used to do on my Teslas.

Entertainment system....Navigation is better in the Tesla because it is based on google maps and has better routing/traffic info. Rivian is not bad though. The rest of the interface is about equal. Both are snappy and respond instantly (unlike my 2014 Model S that had a noticeable delay when buttons were pushed). Energy usage screen is better on the Tesla with the graph. Audio options are about equal. I like that Tesla gives everyone Slacker/LiveXLive, but paying for Tidal and using that in the Rivian is great since it is a much higher bitrate.

Efficiency....clearly this goes to Tesla. The MX is actually aerodynamic and is nearly 50% more efficient at highway speeds. The Rivian has a 35% larger battery though, so the range difference is minimal in comparison. I have solar covering 100% of my household usage, so the efficiency difference really did not affect me.

Range....this was the most eye opening difference for me. The rated range on the Model X (and all Teslas) is fake. You won't get it unless you are driving in optimum conditions. Summer driving will typically result in ~75% of the rated range on a road trip. Winter will be even less (though the heat pump change helped reduced the huge hit that sub-freezing temps used to cause). After 4k miles in my R1S with multiple road trips this summer, the rated range of 280 miles (with AT tires) is, well, real. If I need to go 125 miles, I will use 125 miles of range (+/- 5miles). It's consistent. Nearly all trips have resulted in using a few percent less than the rated range actually. Winter will definitely cause a drop as it does in all EVs, but how much remains to be seen for me since I have only owned it for 4 months. My MX was rated for ~340 miles. If I charged to 100%, I could drive it 200 miles (roundtrip to Seattle for me which is a common trip) and only have 40 miles remaining when I got home. I can now do that trip in my R1S charged to 80% and get back with 50 miles of range.

Regen...this is an easy win for the Rivian. It has STRONG regen. Probably double that of my MX/MS. There were some descending freeway ramps that my Tesla simply could not slow down enough on with full regen, but the Rivian fully slows and stops without touching the brake. More regen means more energy saved and more range too which is great.

Audio....Tesla wins. The sound system is simply better in the Tesla. An aftermarket sub for the R1S would do wonders to help though, and I am considering one.

Service...Rivian wins by about 100 to 1. I have had a service advisor come out and greet me happily both times I have been in. They explained exactly what was being done, the timeframe involved (overestimated both times which is great), and called me when they were done (which Tesla won't do). Rivian also answers the phone when you call service unlike Tesla.

Loaner cars....I have not had a loaner/rental car with Rivian, but the last time Tesla provided me a rental through Enterprise when my MX broke down, the Tesla service manager refused to pay the bill, and I had to sue her and Tesla in small claims to get reimbursed for THEIR rental. I think it's safe to say that Tesla loses here because there's no way Rivian could possible match the ineptitude that Tesla exhibited earlier this year.

Awesome! Thanks for the detailed response. I am definitely leaning toward the Rivian. How long did it take you to get the rivian from order ? Also, when did you have access to inventory page . I am hoping mine becomes available sometime this year or at most early next year.

Reactions: rpo
Awesome! Thanks for the detailed response. I am definitely leaning toward the Rivian. How long did it take you to get the rivian from order ? Also, when did you have access to inventory page . I am hoping mine becomes available sometime this year or at most early next year.
Rivian looks promising but they only produce under 80 vehicles a month. You’ll be waiting for the next few years. Buddy of mine raider the very 1st 4 motor adventure package. That was 4 years ago and no car or eta yet. Plus th &4k deposit..

I needed another vehicle ASAP since Tesla ordered me to stop driving the MX due to safety issues, so I bought a "used" one with 100 miles on it in May. And in case you wonder how much Tesla cared about getting my unsafe MX off the roads, they just picked it up two weeks ago and I still haven't been reimbursed...5 months after they told me to stop driving it.

I had a 2023 Model X and switched to the R1S in May because my MX was a lemon and Tesla ordered me to stop driving it in April due to safety issues with the airbag system shutting off, so here are some comparisons omitting those lemon related issues.

Self driving in the Rivian is far better than my MX (or my two prior Model S's that had AP1 and FSD). The Rivian does not veer to the center of the lines when a lane merges onto the freeway which Tesla has never been able to do. That was a huge annoyance with every Tesla I owned.

Thanks for the write up. Rivian doesn’t have a self driving system and may not have for years to come. Their Driver + only works on select highways and it is not 100% reliable either. Reddit and Rivianforums.com has loads of threads on this topic.

While Tesla FSD is far from perfect, it is years ahead of Rivian or any other autonomous systems on the road today.

I have both in my family. Rivian is a much more practical vehicle at the expense of having the achilles heel which is charging. The Rivian's massive (127kWh) battery sucks to charge literally anywhere, since most options are 10kW Chargepoints or Electrify America stations few and far between which are often down. RAN (Rivian Adventure Network) is basically a baby compared to Supercharger.

So basically you end up with a great SUV that you cannot take on long trips or places where there aren't many non-Tesla chargers.

That's why I cancelled my R1S and ordered a new (price-drop) Model X!

I have an R1S on order to replace my Y. We also have a MS.

I got to drive the R1S for a week a month ago. Things I liked about it included good looks and interior design. Personally, I like the Y more than the X. But the R1S has them both beat. I love the R interior extremely spacious. The rear cargo area was also very generous, way more room than the X. The seats were very comfortable about the same as the X.

What I didn't like about it was how tall the R was compared to the Y and X. Anyone shorter than 5'4" would not enjoy climbing in and out the R every time. I had the R on "squat" mode to put the car in the lowest setting and that was still too tall. So be aware of this if you have a shorter lady in the house. Driving the R was like driving a truck. It's hard to describe but it's like you're bouncing all over the place. The car never felt settled on comfort mode. I think by the 5th day I had it on sport mode and the bounciness was less. But again it never felt settled. In the Teslas, you feel like driving a car, in the R it felt like a truck.

Charging with the non-supercharger was not fun. Maybe in 2 years when all the R can use the superchargers I might consider it again but if you plan to road trip or drive a lot I would not get anything but a Tesla right now.

Finally, the one thing that was a deal breaker for me was the Rivian's Highway Assist, equivalent to Tesla auto-steer/ AP. Unfortunately the Rivian did not perform as well as the Tesla for me. Multiple times the R just canceled HA in the middle of driving. Also it only works on registered highways. So there was one day when I was on the 405S interstate (southern CA) near Rivian headquarter and HA didn't work. I'm a huge fan of the Tesla AP and from my experience since 2018 it's been a lot more reliable.

Needless to say I'll be cancelling the R1S order and will be getting an X instead. And I made this decision when the R1S and the X was equivalent in price at $100k.

I'm in the Bay area and have only seen 2 R1S and 3-4 R1Ts. I checked out an R1S and it's really nice. The staff said if you order now, you'll get it mid 2024. Idk how accurate that is though.
That’s funny. I’m in Sacramento and there are four R1Ts in my neighborhood. We went to downtown last weekend and saw about five more R1Ts and three R1Ss. We saw even more in Tahoe the weekend before, so maybe they’re just making their way Eastbound or something.

Reactions: rpo
That’s funny. I’m in Sacramento and there are four R1Ts in my neighborhood. We went to downtown last weekend and saw about five more R1Ts and three R1Ss. We saw even more in Tahoe the weekend before, so maybe they’re just making their way Eastbound or something.

I was just down in Sac a few weeks ago and was seeing R1Ts all over as well. Definitely are becoming prevalent. Now Lucid Airs...those are almost mythical. Only have seen two so far. 😅

• Funny
Reactions: El joe
I have an R1S on order to replace my Y. We also have a MS.

I got to drive the R1S for a week a month ago. Things I liked about it included good looks and interior design. Personally, I like the Y more than the X. But the R1S has them both beat. I love the R interior extremely spacious. The rear cargo area was also very generous, way more room than the X. The seats were very comfortable about the same as the X.

What I didn't like about it was how tall the R was compared to the Y and X. Anyone shorter than 5'4" would not enjoy climbing in and out the R every time. I had the R on "squat" mode to put the car in the lowest setting and that was still too tall. So be aware of this if you have a shorter lady in the house. Driving the R was like driving a truck. It's hard to describe but it's like you're bouncing all over the place. The car never felt settled on comfort mode. I think by the 5th day I had it on sport mode and the bounciness was less. But again it never felt settled. In the Teslas, you feel like driving a car, in the R it felt like a truck.

Charging with the non-supercharger was not fun. Maybe in 2 years when all the R can use the superchargers I might consider it again but if you plan to road trip or drive a lot I would not get anything but a Tesla right now.

Finally, the one thing that was a deal breaker for me was the Rivian's Highway Assist, equivalent to Tesla auto-steer/ AP. Unfortunately the Rivian did not perform as well as the Tesla for me. Multiple times the R just canceled HA in the middle of driving. Also it only works on registered highways. So there was one day when I was on the 405S interstate (southern CA) near Rivian headquarter and HA didn't work. I'm a huge fan of the Tesla AP and from my experience since 2018 it's been a lot more reliable.

Needless to say I'll be cancelling the R1S order and will be getting an X instead. And I made this decision when the R1S and the X was equivalent in price at $100k.
Thanks for the info but I don't use AP on my current Tesla nor do I care much for self-driving. The charging infrastructure would be a problem but then I charge mostly at home and next year rivian would be able to access superchargers which would make it easier. I definitely agree Tesla might be ahead with tech but again I don't care for much of that. The only reason I don't like the X-wing doors, my lady feels that they draw unnecessary attention and in an emergency, it would not be quick to close