Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Chill Mode negate LR Acceleration Boost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might not even need "Chill" and "Sport" modes unless you're at a drag strip or something and want that extra 0.01 second. I'm a little surprised everyone's not clamoring for this. The current system of having to switch between "Chill" and "Sport" seems a little antiquated and brain-dead (by Tesla standards).
I'm clamoring for it! The excessive, gimmicky oversensitive accelerator map of Sport mode annoys me. I barely use any of its pedal travel in most my driving. Yes it's still fairly easy to modulate thanks to the nature of EV motors, but it's just way more sensitive than it needs to be. I still have the occasional too-fast takeoff that is completely unintended (especially after switching from my other Tesla, which is almost as powerful), and feels more difficult to modulate over such a small range of movement.

I don't want Chill mode with limited max power either. No reason for that honestly unless I were giving it to a valet or such. I just want a more gradual accelerator map that still requests max power when the pedal is fully depressed.

I can't say for sure, but what your asking for seems impossible.
It's not impossible at all. Many cars have lots of power without such a sensitive accelerator map. Many other cars DO have an overly sensitive accelerator map too though, and I hate it on those cars too, though these days many of them have multiple throttle maps you can select between, and usually one of them allows full power without the gimmicky sensitivity of a "sport" map.

In my last two ICE cars the ECUs had been thoroughly reverse-engineered, and it was really easy to reprogram the throttle maps. One of them had a dial for selecting between 3 maps, but once I got one map setup just how I liked it, I never felt any need for alternative maps. And I drove that car everywhere from mountain snow storms to track days.

Reactions: BitJam
According to this article Linear throttle most cars are designed with an accelerator response curve that is non-linear in the opposite direction from what I suggest in order to make "the vehicle feel more powerful as you get a sudden surge when you initially press the pedal." Maybe Tesla does this too in which case my suggestion would be to make the response more linear.
Yup, it's a common trick / gimmick to make a car feel quicker than it actually is. Like if it pulls that hard with just a little pedal press, it must be way faster at WOT, right? ;) It's stupid and I hate it, but I guess a lot of car makers feel it helps sell cars, maybe to people who would never press the pedal far down.

Most of the times when I try a "Sport" throttle map I end up groaning about how obnoxious it is for putting most of the car's acceleration potential very near the top of the pedal travel.

Note Tesla wasn't always so bad about this. The accelerator map on my S P85 is not nearly so sensitive. It's still a bit more sensitive than I'd like, but when I go from the P85 to my M3P I often jump away from the first redlight->greenlight, before I recalibrate. Trying to drive slow on bumpy, wavy gravel in the M3P is almost painful in Sport, but switching to Chill just for that is obnoxious too. I just want a "Standard" throttle map with all of the power available, and none of the gimmick.

I'm clamoring for it! The excessive, gimmicky oversensitive accelerator map of Sport mode annoys me. I barely use any of its pedal travel in most my driving. Yes it's still fairly easy to modulate thanks to the nature of EV motors, but it's just way more sensitive than it needs to be. I still have the occasional too-fast takeoff that is completely unintended (especially after switching from my other Tesla, which is almost as powerful), and feels more difficult to modulate over such a small range of movement.

I don't want Chill mode with limited max power either. No reason for that honestly unless I were giving it to a valet or such. I just want a more gradual accelerator map that still requests max power when the pedal is fully depressed.

It's not impossible at all. Many cars have lots of power without such a sensitive accelerator map. Many other cars DO have an overly sensitive accelerator map too though, and I hate it on those cars too, though these days many of them have multiple throttle maps you can select between, and usually one of them allows full power without the gimmicky sensitivity of a "sport" map.

In my last two ICE cars the ECUs had been thoroughly reverse-engineered, and it was really easy to reprogram the throttle maps. One of them had a dial for selecting between 3 maps, but once I got one map setup just how I liked it, I never felt any need for alternative maps. And I drove that car everywhere from mountain snow storms to track days.
My point was if you flatten the curve at one point you need to steepen it at another. Making the accelerator less touchy at lower speeds means either lowering the maximum speed or making it more touchy at higher speeds.

So it's basically just dampening pedal response like speeding up or slowing down a mouse, which you can do on your own if you want to?
Here's the power output in Chill.
Once you get the hang of the vehicle, you can drive efficiently in Sport or Normal mode once you learn how to feather the throttle, both acceleration and deceleration.

Attachments

• 20220120_154435.jpg
    20220120_154435.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Wigan and tm1v2
Thanks all! In response to the comments here, I started using Standard Mode on my MYLR a few months ago to see if I could get used to it. Yesterday I tried switching back to Chill Mode and I hated it. I guess the banners I saw in my high school many years ago were correct. Speed is addictive.

• Funny
Reactions: pt19713 and tm1v2