Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

{Feature Request Model 3/Y] Chill+ would be great. 3rd option needed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the first couple of years that I owned my M3, I never took it out of standard acceleration. Who could resist? Too much fun. But eventually I started to see the merits of chill mode. It’s better for passengers, better on range, and probably better for the tires, among other things. I now rarely use standard mode. But I do wish I could hit the top acceleration curve if I floor it. Sometimes you’re pulling out into traffic on a fast road and even flooring it in chill mode leaves you wishing you had more gusto.

I think Tesla should come out with a “Chill+” mode. It should behave very similarly to chill mode, but when you floor it, it would give you the full effect and potential of the car. Best of both worlds. Seems so simple. I hope it happens someday.

Upvote 2
Love chill mode for it and pin speed limitation has saved some of my children’s lives
I do agree with this, my daughter’s profile is set to Chill and I think this is an important feature to have available for drivers you can’t quite trust yet (children, valets, etc).

But it doesn’t do anything at all your right foot can’t do. It doesn’t magically increase range or any of the other fantasy stuff people seem to attribute to it.

I do agree with this, my daughter’s profile is set to Chill and I think this is an important feature to have available for drivers you can’t quite trust yet (children, valets, etc).

But it doesn’t do anything at all your right foot can’t do. It doesn’t magically increase range or any of the other fantasy stuff people seem to attribute to it.
Pin lockdown rhe speed, she will figure out how to change from chill to sport

Of course, you are technically right. But that doesn’t change the fact that it is far easier to provide a smooth drive in chill mode versus standard mode. In fact, Elon apparently disagrees with you, because he did give us two choices, not one. But if you need full acceleration, you don’t get it in chill mode under any circumstances. Again, this is why we need a third option: Chill+.

I wholeheartedly agree with the OP's suggestion.

I have a S3XY button set up to toggle in/out of Chill when I need it. Easy peasy.

I got the S3XY buttons and programmed a button to do just that. Works fine as a workaround, but the OP's suggestion would have the dual benefits of (1) being free, rather than costing $200+, and (2) being seamless -- no devices to install or buttons having to be pressed.

I must point out that the S3XY buttons and new S3XY knob have a feature that you would like called "kickdown" if I am not mistaken. You can use Chill mode but if you mash the pedal to the floor it will automatically revert to normal/sport.

The S3XY Buttons have the same feature. And you actually don't need any buttons for that feature, just the commander, so you can save a few bucks if you just buy the commander and harness.

Can you post a video explaining the lockdown kickdown?
Here's a simple explainer video from the vendor. (I think in this example, the car is in park when the press the pedal down all the way.)

Note the description in the video that says it takes 2-3 seconds for the power levels / pedal mapping to fully transition from Chill to Sport.

1692669207259.png

And here's a video I just made with my 2018 Model 3 LR-AWD comparing acceleration in Chill (the 2 left boxes), Chill+Kickdown (upper right), and Sport (lower right), slowed down to 1/4 speed.

You can see the "kickdown" performance starts out pretty close to "Chill", but by the end it's closer to "Sport".

It’s strange to me how many people don’t know how to just modulate the accelerator to accomplish what you want.

Chill mode is worthless. If you want to go faster, press harder. Slower? Not as hard. Simple.

I both agree and disagree. I think Chill mode is great to have... I just don't personally need it. Nothing about the standard/sport mode forces you to accelerate quickly, it just takes learning to control the throttle with your foot.

Perhaps when I'm older and trust my reflexes less, I'll flip to Chill mode.

I actually feel like Standard/Sport *IS* the Chill+ you're describing... learn to modulate the pedal for any rate of acceleration you want, and floor it if needed.

I should probably just let this go. But I have to say, my feet are fine, as are my reflexes and muscles. I can certainly modulate the pedal in any way that I need to. But there’s simply no question the chill mode provides a smoother ride. That’s why they call it chill. It’s not that I’m unable to go easy on it, but chill mode provides you more usable distance on the pedal if you’re trying to keep things, smooth. Standard requires a much more finessed movement, which just isn’t as relaxing to deal with.

Please, let’s not make it seem like I’m incapable of modulating the go pedal! There’s a reason for chill mode, and I like it. And more importantly… So does my wife.