Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

{Feature Request Model 3/Y] Chill+ would be great. 3rd option needed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the first couple of years that I owned my M3, I never took it out of standard acceleration. Who could resist? Too much fun. But eventually I started to see the merits of chill mode. It’s better for passengers, better on range, and probably better for the tires, among other things. I now rarely use standard mode. But I do wish I could hit the top acceleration curve if I floor it. Sometimes you’re pulling out into traffic on a fast road and even flooring it in chill mode leaves you wishing you had more gusto.

I think Tesla should come out with a “Chill+” mode. It should behave very similarly to chill mode, but when you floor it, it would give you the full effect and potential of the car. Best of both worlds. Seems so simple. I hope it happens someday.

Upvote 2
Teslas logic for chill mode doesn’t make sense since if you are flooring it then usually you want full power but the car doesn’t give it to you. Especially if it’s held to the floor for more than a split second.

Every other car with an “eco” mode still gives you full power when you floor it. Or there’s a “kickdown” button at the bottom of the throttle that gives you full beans.

While I wouldn't mind having a chill+ mode, I'd want it to be differently implemented than it seems you are describing. I'd want the entire throttle to be somewhere between the current chill mode and the standard mode. The choices of implementation are almost endless, mapping a pedal position to power output.

For now, I'm keeping mine set to Standard and I just don't press as hard on the pedal unless I really want to get going somewhere fast.

While I wouldn't mind having a chill+ mode, I'd want it to be differently implemented than it seems you are describing. I'd want the entire throttle to be somewhere between the current chill mode and the standard mode. The choices of implementation are almost endless, mapping a pedal position to power output.

For now, I'm keeping mine set to Standard and I just don't press as hard on the pedal unless I really want to get going somewhere fast.
Understood. And agreed, the possibilities could be endless. But I’m talking about a very specific, practical scenario. I like the feel of chill 99% of the time. But there are times when you actually need all the acceleration you can get. You could even be considered something of a safety factor in certain situations. It would be nice to be able to get that full acceleration when you floor it, even in chill mode. Hence… Chill+.

What you’re describing is essentially ‘lose the torque’ but give me the acceleration.
Ie. Ice car lol

Funny I’m in the same boat. I’ve been driving my LR/boost and never in chill mode until 3 weeks ago when I got a mild concussion. I had to switch to chill mode right away. Now that I’m feeling a lot better, it’s interesting to note that when I placed it back into sport, the torque felt way too instant and bothersome! First time ever and I’ve owned a P100D S back in 2017 with ludicrous…no stranger to speed and power.

This is a first for me and I’m almost embarrassed to say I now prefer the reduced torque.

I agree I wish there was a slight more power in chill…a chill+ as you mentioned 👍🏽

I frequently have to make an incredibly difficult left turn. When the traffic is bad, I have to set it to standard mode so that I can get that blast that I need to get out in the limited opportunities to make the turn. And then I put it right back to chill. This shouldn’t need to be a thing. I should be able to leave it in “Chill+”, and when I hit the bottom, it gives me 100% acceleration, and then the rest of the time I’m still effectively in chill mode.

I can’t tell you how much I think this should be an option. I wish I had a Twitter/X account. I would tweet Elon about it.

I frequently have to make an incredibly difficult left turn. When the traffic is bad, I have to set it to standard mode so that I can get that blast that I need to get out in the limited opportunities to make the turn. And then I put it right back to chill. This shouldn’t need to be a thing. I should be able to leave it in “Chill+”, and when I hit the bottom, it gives me 100% acceleration, and then the rest of the time I’m still effectively in chill mode.

I can’t tell you how much I think this should be an option. I wish I had a Twitter/X account. I would tweet Elon about it.
Or at the very least allow the left toggle button to be set to switch between the two…option for the scroll function. That way can switch asap. This can be done even now…no + mode needed

Or at the very least allow the left toggle button to be set to switch between the two…option for the scroll function. That way can switch asap. This can be done even now…no + mode needed
You can have the long press on the left scroll wheel bring up the driving mode, it’s not a switch or toggle you still have to select the desired mode but sure as hell beats going to the menu to find it.

In case you really insist after my comment, I must point out that the S3XY buttons and new S3XY knob have a feature that you would like called "kickdown" if I am not mistaken. You can use Chill mode but if you mash the pedal to the floor it will automatically revert to normal/sport. Might be what you're looking for.
No, I'm not affiliated with them but with the number of times I've pointed out some of their features here I'm starting to wish I would :p

In case you really insist after my comment, I must point out that the S3XY buttons and new S3XY knob have a feature that you would like called "kickdown" if I am not mistaken. You can use Chill mode but if you mash the pedal to the floor it will automatically revert to normal/sport. Might be what you're looking for.
No, I'm not affiliated with them but with the number of times I've pointed out some of their features here I'm starting to wish I would :p
Can you post a video explaining the lockdown?

Reactions: heymull
It’s strange to me how many people don’t know how to just modulate the accelerator to accomplish what you want.

Chill mode is worthless. If you want to go faster, press harder. Slower? Not as hard. Simple.

In our non-Teslas I drive in Eco modes for fine-grained control and my wife drives in Power mode to reduce pedal travel to get the power she wants.
At a certain point there's no difference.

I think the OP is asking for a mode that behaves the way other vehicles do, rather than simply cutting power at all accelerator positions.

(My Kona is annoying in switching modes. It's a mode button, and if you're driving it changes mode _immediately_ instead of giving you time to cycle through the way the Volt does. With the change in go pedal mapping, that's not good when cycling Normal -> Power -> Eco as I have to do.)

Last edited:
In our non-Teslas I drive in Eco modes for fine-grained control and my wife drives in Power mode to reduce pedal travel to get the power she wants.
At a certain point there's no difference.

I think the OP is asking for a mode that behaves the way other vehicles do, rather than simply cutting power at all accelerator positions.
It’s not that simple tbh. It’s the torque that I believe is the issue. One can accelerate decently well in Chill mode without the need for head snapping or even feeling the constant tug. Ie. I drive my elderly FILaw to his dialysis 3x a week. When we commute the 10 min to the hosp, at times it’s in chill and on occasion standard. I’ve actually gone to light to light with and without chill, but emulating the same accel from 0-70kph and I can tell you he feels the diff immediately between the two. As do I. It truly is the lb/ft torque…no so much hpower.

Try driving in standard/chill and mirror the same accel speed…the non chill mode adds torque pull even with the same accel factor.
Ie. 20-50 in say 3 seconds. That 3 sec feels entirely diff in chill Vs standard. Even coasting…if you tap the accelerator an inch, you’ll get that instant pull Vs chill mode and pushing the pedal down but smoother feel to achieve the same accel speed.

I believe the ask from owners is to have a day to day mode that loses the torque but on occasion, allows full power if one requires on a dime. Ie. Quick left turn

For the first couple of years that I owned my M3, I never took it out of standard acceleration. Who could resist? Too much fun. But eventually I started to see the merits of chill mode. It’s better for passengers, better on range, and probably better for the tires, among other things. I now rarely use standard mode. But I do wish I could hit the top acceleration curve if I floor it. Sometimes you’re pulling out into traffic on a fast road and even flooring it in chill mode leaves you wishing you had more gusto.

I think Tesla should come out with a “Chill+” mode. It should behave very similarly to chill mode, but when you floor it, it would give you the full effect and potential of the car. Best of both worlds. Seems so simple. I hope it happens someday.
I will "bite".....

I started in STANDARD for us (read non-chill) and got used to ACTUALLY figuring out how the car drives.

Fast Forward from out 3000 mile trip from CO to FLA and back.

I really do love "CHILL MODE"....it is a smoother acceleration, still enough acceleration if needed. BUT If I KNOW I want some faster acceleration, I simply touch the screen and I have it.

I do hear you on the full "SEND IT" and get full power. Could be a future update? Would be nice!