Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does focus on M3 make X feel like day old bread?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm feeling a little bit less significant to TM with all this focus on the 3. Even while there clearly are still issues preventing a smooth production ramp towards my delivery later this year. Anyone else share this feeling?

Actually it allows people who envy Model S and Model X cars to participate and feel they are part of the the family. I have had tons of people tell me they are excited to join the team, but at the same time they see the Model S and X as a different class of cars.

And don't forget it was not long ago some the Model S owners were bemoaning all the attention the Model X was getting in place of their prior glory. I wasn't here for the Roadster era but I assume the same happened then too.

I do not feel this at all, these cars are all very different and I'm a big advocate of the Model 3 because it is a very important step for Tesla and the adoption of all electric Ev's. I hope the Model 3 is a success and that Tesla can bring this car to market at the promised $35,000 mark. I will not be purchasing a 3 because I'm happy with my S and at some point will be happy with the X as well.

I'm feeling a little bit less significant to TM with all this focus on the 3. Even while there clearly are still issues preventing a smooth production ramp towards my delivery later this year. Anyone else share this feeling?

I believe that Model X will be extremely significant to Tesla Motors through the rest of 2016 and all of 2017.

I expect that the ratio of Model X to Model S will eventually reach 3:2, making Model X the "bread and butter" of Tesla until Model 3 reaches production volumes in the 6-figure range. The popularity of medium sized crossovers, combined with the high ASP of Model X, means it could provide the bulk of profits to be re-invested in Model 3 production, Gigafactory, and service infrastructure.

The reality is that Model X is now the flagship product in the Tesla lineup. I think that Tesla will also continue to make improvements in the Model X in the near future, specifically with the seats and interior.

Not even close. If anything it will be the reverse. There are two reasons to purchase the Model 3. Size (some don't want a large car) and Price. (Depending upon what the high end range ends up being, range might be a third reason).

And don't forget it was not long ago some the Model S owners were bemoaning all the attention the Model X was getting in place of their prior glory. .

I hear you, but my feeling isn't begrudging the "attention" paid to a different car but rather a concern that the focus of TM will shift before the production pace and quality of the X was up to excellent standards. Couldn't this reveal have waited 6 months or so while all the X kinks get worked out? Still would be a year before production.

I hear you, but my feeling isn't begrudging the "attention" paid to a different car but rather a concern that the focus of TM will shift before the production pace and quality of the X was up to excellent standards. Couldn't this reveal have waited 6 months or so while all the X kinks get worked out? Still would be a year before production.
I think the Chevy Bolt was stealing too much thunder. They had to respond. And then there was Audi, BMW and others starting to make noise too.

Tesla has a brand that resonates with Millennials and non rich Techies and don't want to lose that momentum. As sorry as I am to admit it, those audiences are not the prime for the Model S/X.

I think the Model X will need some refactoring to be a mainstream product. It is too unique right now with all of it's quirky features (I am looking at you second row seats and FWDs). I think their target audience (families and older people) will look for a more traditional car than one with all the features that we have today.

And there already is noise (see other thread on Model 3 trunk) that many potential Model 3 purchasers and reservation holders want a CUV (Model Y) or a hatchback versus the trunk model they showed. So after the honeymoon is over soon, you may also see a rebound of attention to the Model X (and Model S).

I believe that Model X will be extremely significant to Tesla Motors through the rest of 2016 and all of 2017.

I expect that the ratio of Model X to Model S will eventually reach 3:2, making Model X the "bread and butter" of Tesla until Model 3 reaches production volumes in the 6-figure range. The popularity of medium sized crossovers, combined with the high ASP of Model X, means it could provide the bulk of profits to be re-invested in Model 3 production, Gigafactory, and service infrastructure.

The reality is that Model X is now the flagship product in the Tesla lineup. I think that Tesla will also continue to make improvements in the Model X in the near future, specifically with the seats and interior.

Over time Tesla may have more Model X orders than Model S orders. The S has been out there for three years and more of the latent demand has been soaked up. With the X they have just started putting a dent in the pre-orders. As for production though, it's much easier and faster to build a Model S than X. The X body and cabin has some areas that are much more difficult to manufacture.

The X is the most expensive car and the shiny bauble out there, so it is the flagship product, but the S will remain important for some time to come.

Elon Musk has a contract with Tesla that provides stock bonuses if he meets certain milestones. I believe revealing the 3rd generation platform by the end of Q1 2016 was one of them. I know delivering the first Xs by the end of Q3 2016 was one of them.

Personally I don't think he cares too much about the money, but one of the factors that allows Tesla to do what it is doing is keeping the stock price high and if he misses one of the contract milestones the stock would likely take a big hit, so he is driven to meet them for the sake of the company.

Nienco2, in the interests of full disclosure, please let us know if you are still short TSLA. Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

Could that explain why the Model 3 reveal has you feeling a little left out? :)

Thanks for asking, I was short since last summer, but not short since about the 17th of Feb, makes me look smarter than I am ;) btw I would never have brought it up had you not asked.
Stock prices and automobiles are two distinctly different things.

I'm feeling a little bit less significant to TM with all this focus on the 3.

Stock prices and automobiles are two distinctly different things.

Leaving the investment side of things aside (that belongs in the investor's forum IMO), what is your reservation # for Model X, and have you received any indication from Tesla or your DS on an estimated delivery date?

Generally speaking, production preparation starts about a year before first deliveries. Model 3 will be mostly in final engineering phases for the next few months. That is different from where Model X is now: tweaking and optimizing production for quality and speed. The engineering resources going to these cars right now is likely very different, so I would not be concerned that focus on Model 3 takes away from dedication to Model X.

The first step is trying to get to a point where we stop caring what other people think or feel.

Agreed! I went to this event and drove in the Model 3. I can tell you that it is going to be a lot more than end of 2017 till this car comes out. A lot has to happen! I will say the Model 3 is the best looking car by far in person!! I own an X now (had an S before this) and I am not going to fool myself into thinking an SUV can come close to the look of something like model 3 (especially with the falcon wing doors closed). I for one still think my X is bad ass (despite many little issues) and I know for the next 3 years I will be enjoying it while the the 3 has its delays. I also got on the list (for model 3) by the way because I think a loaded model 3 could be an amazing fun car. I am realistic that a model 3 loaded will be in the neighborhood of 70,000 though. Because its lighter than both the X and the S it will be the fastest car on the road if they have some kind of Rocket mode like Ludicrous for that car. The one I was in at the show felt like the speed of the S and had amazing handling... It also felt sparse and I doubt the dash will look like that when all is said and done. Anyway, loving the X and it is crazy advanced and likely the most advanced car I will own for a very long time including Model 3. I also ironically have noticed more people noticing my car sense the hoopla will the Model 3. So if anything it makes people just more excited about Tesla in general. Regardless there will be lots of challenges ahead for this next car.

Actually it allows people who envy Model S and Model X cars to participate and feel they are part of the the family. I have had tons of people tell me they are excited to join the team, but at the same time they see the Model S and X as a different class of cars.

I think a fully loaded Model 3 (or perhaps even a basic one) will surpass my 2014 S85 (non-autopilot) car when it comes out in late 2017 Tesla time (so we know it's 2018 reality time). To me, that doesn't place it in a lower class. But I'd like to see what a Model S looks like at that time. I bet it gets a makeover, especially with regard to the interior where it lacks a lot of creature comforts, but also with the exterior, and it will have even greater acceleration and range with a larger battery.

The thing about my Model S now, and everyone else's, when we compare it to a Model 3, is that we are driving it daily whereas the Model 3 is only a debit on our credit cards, and will remain that way for a long time to come. I placed a reservation as soon as possible, and as a Tesla owner I'm suppose to get mine sooner than others, but being in Canada I just can't see it being in my driveway until late 2018 and more likely 2019. My Model S has been there for over 2 years now. That's the real difference to me.