Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Lane Departure Warning work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new MS 75D with version 2018.10.4. I was driving it today and did not notice any warning when crossing lanes w/o turn signal on. I looked it up later in the manual and it said the steering wheel will vibrate when a wheel crosses a lane w/o turn signal on. It also has to be enabled (mine is). Also, speed must be between 36 and 90 mph(mine was). Can anyone verify that this feature works?

Works great on my X from last September..... you can definitely tell when the car is not crossing a lane and when it is (when it can see lane lines...).

Usual first thing to do: reboot the MCU (hold down the scroll buttons until it goes out, be in Park first, etc.)

I have a new MS 75D with version 2018.10.4. I was driving it today and did not notice any warning when crossing lanes w/o turn signal on. I looked it up later in the manual and it said the steering wheel will vibrate when a wheel crosses a lane w/o turn signal on. It also has to be enabled (mine is). Also, speed must be between 36 and 90 mph(mine was). Can anyone verify that this feature works?
One thing I have to add... I don't know if it works before AP is working. It uses the cameras SO it might not be active until AP is calibrated. Has your AP gone the 30-50 miles and TACC and Autosteer been enabled?

Looking at the manual, it depends on camera calibration, so I would say your cameras aren't calibrated yet!

One thing I have to add... I don't know if it works before AP is working. It uses the cameras SO it might not be active until AP is calibrated. Has your AP gone the 30-50 miles and TACC and Autosteer been enabled?

Looking at the manual, it depends on camera calibration, so I would say your cameras aren't calibrated yet!

I agree. I distinctly remember the first time that mine notified me was right after AP woke up. The steering wheel vibration made me think a tire was loose or something, so it was "memorable"

Drew

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have about 175 miles on the car but very few miles using Autopilot. I assumed that the camera calibration is done without the autopilot being engaged.
If the car hasn’t calibrated then autopilot is unavailable. First 50 miles or so in my S75D when I double-pulled to activate autopilot it’d make a noise and flash up autopilot can’t be engages at this time.
The LDW works in mine. First time I thought I had a dodgy tyre. Then I realised what the wobble was.

My first P85D model S I could feel AND hear the lane departure warnings, my new P100D I can't hear anything and the "vibration" is so subtle that you hardly notice it and when you do it makes you think you have a suspension or tire problem. Not sure what changed, but the new implementation of the feature is not as good as the older models IMO.

Reactions: Darmie
My first P85D model S I could feel AND hear the lane departure warnings, my new P100D I can't hear anything and the "vibration" is so subtle that you hardly notice it and when you do it makes you think you have a suspension or tire problem. Not sure what changed, but the new implementation of the feature is not as good as the older models IMO.
I am glad you and drewg123 mentioned this! I really thought my tire balance was off or something. It is quite subtle, but noticeable. So many things this car does that I have yet to discover.

It works. I had one recently when the system got confused on temporary markings due to a construction zone. I actually can share a picture of it but text is in German:
Lane Departure Warning.png

It says:
Take over immediately
Vehicle is leaving lane