TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does Lane Departure Warning work?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Chuckben, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Chuckben

Chuckben Member

I have a new MS 75D with version 2018.10.4. I was driving it today and did not notice any warning when crossing lanes w/o turn signal on. I looked it up later in the manual and it said the steering wheel will vibrate when a wheel crosses a lane w/o turn signal on. It also has to be enabled (mine is). Also, speed must be between 36 and 90 mph(mine was). Can anyone verify that this feature works?

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Works great on my X from last September..... you can definitely tell when the car is not crossing a lane and when it is (when it can see lane lines...).

Usual first thing to do: reboot the MCU (hold down the scroll buttons until it goes out, be in Park first, etc.)

3. GatorGuy

GatorGuy Member

Mine definitely did. Had to turn it off because it didn't like how close I corner near the line.

• Funny x 1
  4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

One thing I have to add... I don't know if it works before AP is working. It uses the cameras SO it might not be active until AP is calibrated. Has your AP gone the 30-50 miles and TACC and Autosteer been enabled?

Looking at the manual, it depends on camera calibration, so I would say your cameras aren't calibrated yet!

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

That's why some early testing of driver assistance found LDW worse than useless.

6. Chuckben

Chuckben Member

I had a chance to try it briefly this afternoon and it does seem to work. However I needed to get my wheel well over the line to start the vibration in the steering wheel. I will need to try it further to ge a better sense of its functionality.

7. drewg123

drewg123 Member

I agree. I distinctly remember the first time that mine notified me was right after AP woke up. The steering wheel vibration made me think a tire was loose or something, so it was "memorable"

Drew

8. Chuckben

Chuckben Member

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have about 175 miles on the car but very few miles using Autopilot. I assumed that the camera calibration is done without the autopilot being engaged.

9. f3honda4me

f3honda4me Member

It also has to see the edges of the lane. On the instrument cluster you should see a line on each side of the car. If you don’t then lane departure won’t work.

10. PrGrPa

PrGrPa Supporting Member

If the car hasn’t calibrated then autopilot is unavailable. First 50 miles or so in my S75D when I double-pulled to activate autopilot it’d make a noise and flash up autopilot can’t be engages at this time.
    The LDW works in mine. First time I thought I had a dodgy tyre. Then I realised what the wobble was.

11. BigCity

BigCity Member

My first P85D model S I could feel AND hear the lane departure warnings, my new P100D I can't hear anything and the "vibration" is so subtle that you hardly notice it and when you do it makes you think you have a suspension or tire problem. Not sure what changed, but the new implementation of the feature is not as good as the older models IMO.

• Like x 1
  12. TTexla

TTexla Member

I am glad you and drewg123 mentioned this! I really thought my tire balance was off or something. It is quite subtle, but noticeable. So many things this car does that I have yet to discover.

13. BigCity

BigCity Member

Exactly, it still took me 2 or 3 weeks to figure it out and that was knowing what it did on the first car lol.

14. Torqueria

Torqueria Member

It works, but a apparently I can't stay within the lines very well. It was always going off and got very annoying. I turned it off.

• Funny x 1
  15. bebbiXpress

bebbiXpress Member

It works. I had one recently when the system got confused on temporary markings due to a construction zone. I actually can share a picture of it but text is in German:
    Lane Departure Warning.png

It says:
    Take over immediately
    Vehicle is leaving lane

16. GatorGuy

GatorGuy Member

I went through that on my wife's MB. Luckily I realized quickly what it was on the Model S.