Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Lifetime Supercharging Continue After You Swap out Your Battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does Lifetime Supercharging Continue After You Swap out Your Battery? My wife and I purchased a Model S and Model X back in 2018, and we got lifetime charging and internet connectivity as part of the purchase. Has anyone swapped out their battery that had the lifetime supercharging, and did Tesla allow you to continue the unlimited free supercharging? Or does the lifetime supercharging stop once you swap out the battery? I would love to hear from people's experiences on this topic.

Does Lifetime Supercharging Continue After You Swap out Your Battery? My wife and I purchased a Model S and Model X back in 2018, and we got lifetime charging and internet connectivity as part of the purchase. Has anyone swapped out their battery that had the lifetime supercharging, and did Tesla allow you to continue the unlimited free supercharging? Or does the lifetime supercharging stop once you swap out the battery? I would love to hear from people's experiences on this topic.
Yes. Lifetime supercharging stays with the car (think VIN).

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yes, as long as the swapping comes from Tesla.

It's questionable if you let One, Inc swap with the one with a range of 752 miles in the freezing Michigan winter. Theoretically, the feature is attached to the VIN, not the battery but Tesla might exercise its policy of third-party-modification-Phobia.
Thanks, Tam. I intend to go to Tesla and eventually do a battery swap to maintain my lifetime charging and other features. So the question was more about does the lifetime stay with the VIN or the existing battery. We will eventually find out when the batter is ready for a swap, but right now, they are in good health.

The battery is, to my knowledge, guaranteed for eight years. Why would you be swapping one out? Yours is only four years old. I had never heard that one needed to swap out batteries to "maintain ... lifetime charging and other features...". And "lifetime charging" means what? Life of the battery? Or do you hope your car will still be in brand new shape when you sell it in eight years?

The battery is, to my knowledge, guaranteed for eight years. Why would you be swapping one out? Yours is only four years old. I had never heard that one needed to swap out batteries to "maintain ... lifetime charging and other features...". And "lifetime charging" means what? Life of the battery? Or do you hope your car will still be in brand new shape when you sell it in eight years?
we plan to keep our EVs for a long time. The battery swap is for down the road when the battery health turns poor (Whenever that happens). Battery health is good.

Reactions: GSP
I am getting a new battery swapped out as we speak in my 2012 P85. My son is coming to age to drive, and to me (if I put aside the thought of a 16 yo drives a Model S…) it is the perfect car for a new young drive with its safety ratings, ability to limit top speed, and to see its live location, of course until he finds a way to turn it off… I was told the new battery will be the LFP type, and it will be a bit more range in comparison to my original battery. With the free supercharging, and the fact that it is recommended by Tesla to always charging to 100%, it was a way better deal for me than trying to find a different car for him. This will basically transform the 11 year old Tesla into a new car overnight. To me it’s well worth it and I can easily get another 10+ years out of it.