Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Model 3 scrape on steep driveways?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All!

Picking up my model 3 soon and was wondering how the car does on a steep driveways. Entering a steep incline and leaving a steep incline.

The driveway at my house is about a 15% incline up coming off the street.

The Model 3 has the wheels near each end of the vehicle which makes it not all that susceptible to nose and tail scrapes. Certainly, like any car, it can scrape if the situation is extreme enough but I've had it on back-country Forest Service roads and it does surprisingly well. It's most susceptible to center scrapes (in the middle of the vehicle) if you try to drive over tall curbs or drainage swales on roads meant for trucks and high clearance vehicles. But the nose and rear end are not all that susceptible to scraping given it's relatively low 5.5" of ground clearance. The P3D+ model is reportedly 1/2" lower which is why I stuck with the stealth P3D (it has the same ground clearance as the LR and MR Model 3).

I will point out that some cheaper cars are designed with larger front and rear overhangs. That's a cheaper way to get the same sized car because the chassis doesn't have to be as strong/rigid for the overall length of car but it makes the front and back more prone to scraping.

Reactions: abasile
The Model 3 has the wheels near each end of the vehicle which makes it not all that susceptible to nose and tail scrapes. Certainly, like any car, it can scrape if the situation is extreme enough but I've had it on back-country Forest Service roads and it does surprisingly well. It's most susceptible to center scrapes (in the middle of the vehicle) if you try to drive over tall curbs or drainage swales on roads meant for trucks and high clearance vehicles. But the nose and rear end are not all that susceptible to scraping given it's relatively low 5.5" of ground clearance. The P3D+ model is reportedly 1/2" lower which is why I stuck with the stealth P3D (it has the same ground clearance as the LR and MR Model 3).

I will point out that some cheaper cars are designed with larger front and rear overhangs. That's a cheaper way to get the same sized car because the chassis doesn't have to be as strong/rigid for the overall length of car but it makes the front and back more prone to scraping.
I thought it was only 10mm lower (1cm)?

I don’t know the degrees of my garage driveway,
and I back into garage due to charger/floor layout....

previous cars (boxster, 427, audi A6/7) have scraped,
but model 3 can go straight in/out not touching!

btw perf+ model 3 factory 20" rims

Last edited:
My model 3 will scrape on my drive if I have someone in the back seat. It scrapes in the middle not at the rear or front. Essentially when pulling out (I back in) my front wheels go down the hill while my back wheels are on the level surface. It will clear without issue if the back seat is empty, but it is that close.

Not sure of my exact incline, but for comparison my previous Prius and Leaf would both scrape. Model 3 with 18" wheels does not.
Same here. Our Prius, LEAF, and Model S all scraped when straight-line entering/exiting the left side of our driveway, but the Model 3 never scrapes. This was a truly pleasant surprise for our family!

Reactions: F_T_K
I was going to wait for SAS because we have a driveway on an incline from the street as well as the other speed bumps the city has put up downtown and those we have in parking lots. I don't know what our driveway angle is but have not had a problem with my Model 3. My old Toyota Avalon use to scape if driven too fast from street to house and I guess depending on the angle of approach.

I have also backed my car up the driveway to charge outside on the driveway and not experienced any issues.

Hi all, I've ordered an M3. My driveway as a bit of a lip before a slope down to garage. I was worried about the low breakover angle of M3 grounding between the front and rear. I made up an M3 'simulator' using the unladen ground clearance value of 5.5 inches. According to my measurements clearance goes as low as 3cm (a smidgen over 1 inch). So it seems OK, but will I have issues with passengers causing a loss of clearance more than 1 inch?
Thinking I should switch to a model y or take a chance?