Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Slacker tend to "overlike" certain artists?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
In my experience Slacker seems to really like certain artists and tends to play their tunes a lot, even though you haven't specifically asked for them.

One example I can provide is Bad Company. I have set up Artist stations for other Classic Rock artists like The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, etc - but for some reason I get a lot of Bad Company's songs.

The Doobie Brothers, The Doors and Steely Dan are other examples.

Yet other artists are not played very often at all for some reason.

I wonder if this is financially motivated? Does Slacker pay less per play for these "overliked" artists, compared to other artists.

In my experience Slacker seems to really like certain artists and tends to play their tunes a lot, even though you haven't specifically asked for them.

One example I can provide is Bad Company. I have set up Artist stations for other Classic Rock artists like The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, etc - but for some reason I get a lot of Bad Company's songs.

The Doobie Brothers, The Doors and Steely Dan are other examples.

Yet other artists are not played very often at all for some reason.

I wonder if this is financially motivated? Does Slacker pay less per play for these "overliked" artists, compared to other artists.

Yes, they pay less royalties.

Just my opinion...
It's really worth the $10/mo to get your own unlimited Slacker account. It's a really good service, letting you select stations and set up play lists of individual songs that you can repeat, acess easily, shuffle, etc. I ended my Pandora and Google Play subscriptions and invested the time to rebuild my playlists in Slacker. Very happy with the system now.

Also, it seems to me that entering "like" and "skip" preferences on a fleet account doesn't have the same effect as doing it on a totally personalized account.

YMMV. But for me...totally worth the dollars and effort.

I have a premium Spotify account and I use that at time to play music in my car, via my phone's BT connection. Hopefully we will get 3rd party apps one of these days so that we can run other music services through the car's native UI. But this way I have both a half-premium Slacker account with no commercials, plus a premium Spotify account.