Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla always provide a loaner when car is in for warranty work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 7 month old M3P is going to the local SC next week for a new windshield and some drive train noise.

Do i need to coordinate with them to ensure they will provide a loaner while the car is being worked on, or do they automatically provide one? I’ve tried calling the SC but all you get is phone prompts etc to use the app to contact the service department, etc.

Hate to show up for appointment and have no way home.

My 7 month old M3P is going to the local SC next week for a new windshield and some drive train noise.

Do i need to coordinate with them to ensure they will provide a loaner while the car is being worked on, or do they automatically provide one? I’ve tried calling the SC but all you get is phone prompts etc to use the app to contact the service department, etc.

Hate to show up for appointment and have no way home.

No, they do not "always provide a loaner". Sometimes they dont have any loaners, and sometimes the amount of time the car is in service doesnt "warrant" a loaner from their perspective. They DO always offer Uber credits though, so you wont be stranded per se.

If you want to talk to someone about your upcoming service and try to arrange a loaner with a human that is actually at your service center, try this:

Call the service center number that you have for that specific service center. Listen to the prompts VERY carefully, and what you are listening for is the prompt that says something to the effect of " Inquiry about a vehicle in service". Its the prompt you would use to call about a vehicle the service center is actually working on at that time. That prompt is the only one I am aware of that actually rings through to the humans at the service center you are calling.

When the human picks up, I would make sure you are ready to give them the information like "Hi, I have an appointment on XXX date, and need to see if I can get a loaner car for the day because <short description of reason>".

Remember that when you use that prompt, when they are answering the phone they are expecting someone to be asking about a car that is currently being worked on, so may be a bit annoyed about talking about cars that are not in service at that time... although less so when they hear what your question is, and know there is no other way to get the information.

Depending on the vehicle. I have always got a loaner for my model S. I believe its only available for model S & Xs.

For model 3s it depends on the service they are doing. If its supposed to be done in 24 hours or less most service centers wont offer a loaner for model 3s, but it also depends on the service center.

Like someone said tesla doesnt really "always" do anything.. (well, except for always ignoring people who call / contact them with "the range on my car reads 7 miles less than it used to and I am concerned about battery degradation". That, they always ignore.

Stop wi
For model 3s it depends on the service they are doing. If its supposed to be done in 24 hours or less most service centers wont offer a loaner for model 3s, but it also depends on the service center.

Like someone said tesla doesnt really "always" do anything.. (well, except for always ignoring people who call / contact them with "the range on my car reads 7 miles less than it used to and I am concerned about battery degradation". That, they always ignore.

You sound like the life of the party. Talk about sucking the air out of the room.

The Tesla corporate line right now is that loaners are available for “warrantable repairs estimated to take longer than 24 hours”.

“Available” does not mean guaranteed. You’ll have little to no luck “coordinating” with them to guarantee a loaner. If you want to maximize your chances take an appointment slot first thing in the morning.

We took our 3 to Chico, CA for non-warranty service that took most of the day, and they gave us a loaner. In fact, they gave us a choice of an S or an X. There was a second service we were considering having them do, but they didn't have the part and expected it to take a week or so. They were willing to let us take the loaner S for that whole time since we live several hours away from Chico. I thought that was pretty generous!

Reactions: pilotSteve
I took my car in for an alignment and some TSB to apply some nonsense to the upper ball joints. They gave me a loaner. The service writer was pretty open with info…my service center has 2 loaners total. So don’t expect a loaner at yours.

I got lucky as I live in a small town 20+ miles away from “civilization”. So I drove the loaner home. Sat on my rear for 45 mins or so and then got the text that the car was almost ready. So I drove the loaner back.

Coming from a great BMW dealer with a loaner every time, I’m a little sad by Teslas lack of loaner stock. But I give them a little leeway in this part of the world at least.

On a related note the long range RWD is a fantastic car but it needs a LSD cause it will light up that one tire…

I got a brand new model x (delivered on 7/28/20222) with a falcon wing sensor issue, doors almost didn't open the very first time I tried always had to override them manually, they only open when there is no sunlight. I opened a service request they asked me to get the car to Dublin ,CA service center and the message clearly says no loaner will be provided and service is expected to take 72 hours 🤦‍♂️. All I can do is politely request for a loaner as I do not have a second car at this time (This after spending $110K 🙄)

• Informative
Reactions: XPsionic
I've not talked to him as of yet, but I believe that a neighbor of mine recently purchased a new Model Y. A couple of weeks ago it was removed on a flatbed tow truck and a Model 3 appeared there for several days. The Y returned for a few days and then it disappeared again and was replaced by a different 3 from before.

I think it's hit-and-miss whether you get a loaner. My own service experience (Santa Clara, CA) with my 2018 Model 3 has never required a loaner. Minor items were either a walk-in visit taking an hour or two or mobile service performed at my house.