Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the "aero" design in the 18 wheels add any range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are the aero wheels really just alloy wheels under covers? The very few pics I've seen thus far of the aeros on production models - without the thin sliver outer ring we saw on the RCs - make it appear that the aero wheel design is the entire wheel.

Agree, and I hear from insider it's ~10miles of range lost. 300 is still killing it, awesome.

Where did you hear that? Not that it's out of the ballpark. 220 should lose about 10 miles, 310 should lose about 15. So 210/295 vs. 220/310.

You could mostly restore it by adding in AWD ;) Although the added weight of PUP will hurt you a touch if you go with that.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Are the aero wheels really just alloy wheels under covers? The very few pics I've seen thus far of the aeros on production models - without the thin sliver outer ring we saw on the RCs - make it appear that the aero wheel design is the entire wheel.
Or the underlying rim is now darker color or the cover was finished with the outer ring now darker. With that design, there is no way to access the wheel nuts so it has to be a cover that is removable.

Where did you hear that? Not that it's out of the ballpark. 220 should lose about 10 miles, 310 should lose about 15. So 210/295 vs. 220/310.

You could mostly restore it by adding in AWD ;) Although the added weight of PUP will hurt you a touch if you go with that.
From an owner/employee. So the 210/295 is reasonable. My point is other EV's are so far back you need a telescope to see them, awe just a copy line, sorry.

Model 3 wheel options.

IMG_1691.jpgIMG_1693.jpgIMG_1694.jpg

is this supposed to be the data on the driving tab where if you throw out the one 18"Aero outlier it looks like Aero wheels get 240/Wh/M compared to 19" avg at 261 WH/m (I had to calculate myself).
All I remember is that more recent owner info has confirmed aero wheels add significant range, similar to what you quoted; an actual owner with tests can set me straight. While I type this, I wonder how much range aero wheels add with the winter tire set vs the non-aero winter tire set.

In Dec 2019, Car and Driver reported on a test with and without aero covers on the M3 18" wheels. Averaging the results at 50, 70 and 90 mph, they found a 3.4% increase in efficiency with the covers. I might run my own tests but, until then, this pretty much settles the issue for me. I will certainly use the aeros when on trips.

My wife prefers the look of the aero wheels. I am agnostic, but I am reminded of my brother's attitude toward white walls back in the 1950s: he could not imagine anyone NOT buying white walls, black walls being as ugly to him as aero wheels seem to be to many now. Fashions change. I found it bemusing then and still do that for some the issue is so emotional.