Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the "aero" design in the 18 wheels add any range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upgrading to 19's.... A harsher ride due to less tire sidewall, more expensive replacement tires, the primary reason to upgrade is to avoid the ugly Aero wheels, doesn't sound like much of an upgrade to me.......

I disagree. I have 19's on my Model S and the ride is smooth and quiet. When I drove a loaner with 21's, the ride feel was harsh and the road handling made you feel less confident. 19's on the Model S are reportedly getting well over 30k miles on their tires.

Last edited:
THIS. I think all of the ranges given (220 and 310) are with the aero covers since they are the standard equipment. So the real question for the title of this thread should be how much range will be lost by not going with the aero wheels
If Tesla's estimates are with the aero covers, then the EPA rating will almost certainly be lower. For Tesla (or any manufacturer) to include something like Aero wheels, they have to certify that at least two thirds of the vehicles they sell will have that option. If more than a third of the long range model 3s they sell have Sport wheels, they have to use the Sport wheel config for EPA certification.

So... yeah, if their current estimates are with Aero wheels, the actual EPA will probably be lower since they'll probably have to use the Sport wheels for certification. If their 310 mile EPA estimate is with the Sport wheels, then the range with Aeros will probably be higher.

In terms of the difference, I think it's probably a 3-10% difference depending on driving conditions. Bumper to bumper traffic would be 3%, and 80+mph would be 10%.

And what do the wheels look like with the aero covers popped off?

At least in that one pix, the underlying wheels don't look that bad and might look better than the aero covering. Either way, I'd like to see the aero wheels in person. Between the decreased range, the compromise in ride quality and the increase in potential for wheel damage, I'd really like to stick with the 18".

I think the average is supposed to be 3%. Depending upon circumstances, it could be more--perhaps quite a bit more.
During high winds, I ran low faster than expected in my Model S one day and had to pull off into an RV park. I think during high winds those aero wheels would help a little bit more. That extra 6 miles may not seem like much, but do a few more things to add to that 6 miles and suddenly it's a difference between making it and not in surprise weather. I admit that it doesn't really do a huge amount to the bottom line at 3%. But, it's a case of "every bit counts"; there's lots of things on the car like that, that when added up, make up what Tesla delivers.

Reactions: Reef Club
Keep in mind nobody has yet seen the production wheels without the aero covers. I am sure the style is the same as above... But all those pre-production photos of wheels without aero covers show them with silver paint. The prod cars have wheels painted to match the aero covers. Presumably it's not just the lip that is painted to match, but the whole wheel.

Reactions: FlyNavy01
Looks like the aftermarket is jumping in Tesla Model 3 aftermarket modifications are already being revealed

Some of the most popular Tesla aftermarket tuners are Tsportline, which claims to be the “world’s first Tesla tuner”, and Unplugged Performance, which offers some of the most popular aftermarket products for Tesla vehicles. True to their claim of being “first”, Tsportline is already revealing new mods for the Model 3.

They started with a render of their “Model 3 Sport Package” on a Midnight Silver Metallic car with their chrome black out package:
I am not sure about body kits becoming really popular on Model 3, but I would expect that aftermarket wheels could become an important business, especially since Tesla is only making available two options: 18″ Aero wheels or 19″ Sport wheels.

Tsportline says that they will be offering both their locally made “20” forged wheels” and “20” flow forged wheels” for the Tesla Model 3. Here they released a concept of their 114 wheel design in Diamond Black with Carbon Sports Package on a black Model 3 and mesh wheels on a blue Model 3 with carbon fiber underbody

model-3-tsporline.jpeg