Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the car "read" the speed limit signs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far only the Model S with AP1 (mobileye) reads actual traffic signs. All others are still GPS based as far as I know.

Yes, along with some original Model X's with hardware 1. This was from Mobileye that owns the patent on a camera being able to read a speed limit. Tesla will either need to license this or create a different way of reading a speed limit.

Reactions: Trevor B
Make sure to look into the article more next time. This was an old model S with Mobile Eye cameras (AP1) as others have said. This is how misinformation is spread - damn blogs writing vague headlines.

So it's not even fully Tesla's system. It's someone else's system in a Tesla vehicle.

Last edited:
AP1 cars read the signs, which is actually annoying in school zones because I'm moving along at 45-55mph and all of a sudden the car stabs the brakes to bring me down to 20-25; great when it's actually that time but sucks the other 22 hours in the day. Do AP2+ cars also do this in school zones?

AP1 cars read the signs, which is actually annoying in school zones because I'm moving along at 45-55mph and all of a sudden the car stabs the brakes to bring me down to 20-25; great when it's actually that time but sucks the other 22 hours in the day. Do AP2+ cars also do this in school zones?

No because AP2 doesn't read speed limit signs.

So the car just goes along at whatever the GPS database says it is for that road?

Yep. As you'd expect, there are errors in the database, which is about as annoying as school zones with AP1.
A road that I take twice daily as part of my commute has the speed limit on the database as 40 MPH one way and 50 MPH the other (it is posted at 40 MPH both directions). I always have to turn AP down on the 50 MPH side.

Neither way is perfect but if I had to choose just one or the other, I would go with database as reading signs is too subjective to outside factors such as trees and vandalism as mentioned as well as vehicles blocking the sign, etc.

Haven't experienced the school zone factor @LCR1 and @Big Earl are mentioning

Exactly. Which is part why Tesla moved from MobileEye I would guess.

The really really short version is Elon wanted FSD, totally done, really fast... and Mobileye said "Yeah, there's no remotely safe or reasonable way to do that anytime soon" and it kinda escalated from there into a messy breakup that left AP1 cars largely abandoned for significant further updating (in part because Tesla never had access to substantial parts of the system only mobileye did), and meant it'd be a couple years before Tesla internally was able to get AP2 caught back up to where AP1 already was...and still years behind Elons intended target dates from back when the breakup happened (though it's reasonably far ahead of AP1 nowadays in most circumstances at least)