Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the glovebox no longer have a space for the J1772 Adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've found it easier to keep the J1772 adapter in the glove box so I don't have to open the trunk to use a public charger. I have seen some references to a special place in the glove box that is shaped to fit the J1772 Adapter so it does not roll around. Am I missing some place in my glove box or is there no longer a space to fit the J1772 adapter so it fits snugly and does not roll around?

Trying to hold down everything that moves around in the car :)

From what I read, they stopped making that holder in early 2015.
How often do you use it? Just curious.
I keep mine in the bag with all other charging adapters in the trunk. But I almost never use them.

Last edited:
From what I read, they stopped making that holder in early 2015.
How often do you use it? Just curious.

About once or twice a week, as the Whole Foods where we shop at has a complimentary J1772 charger. Keeping it in the glove box is super convenient but it doesn't work so well with Ludicrous :p

That's too bad they've discontinued this feature. I always thought that was a very thoughtful feature.

Reactions: Galve2000
Interesting, I've got a 2012 Model S. There's no place in the glove box for the adaptor. ?

My car is Early production Vin #162 Sig. So maybe they didn't have that feature yet?

Does the S not have a small storage in arm rest like the model 3 ? (That is where we keep ours and the charge point card for public charging)

Hmmm... I do but I still prefer the glove box option. I thought I somehow missed the location it should go in but it looks like they removed that place altogether. I'm going to see if I can find some type of a snug cover for the adapter so it does not roll all over the place in the glove box.

I keep mine in the area in front of the cup holders in the center console. We have juice at work that I use occasionally. It does rattle sometimes though, depending what else is up there to hold it in place. Usually a small water bottle and some bug spray. Never thought to look in the glove box for a nook to put it!

I've kept my J1772 adapter in the center console where it is not very secure (even though I merely have Insane acceleration). Because of this thread, I went out and checked my glove box. There's no "J1772 holder" per se, but there are two recessed areas in the very back of the glove box, one on the bottom left and one on the bottom right, that fit the J1772 adapter just right. So I'm going to try it out there.

I, too, like to opportunity charge when I can and am usually able to cobble together a decent charge because of the ubiquity of J1772-based free chargers in my town. I was just at a brewery today playing outside with my kids and got about +50 miles range. In case that sounds weird, most of the breweries here in Asheville are kid-friendly and serve as social hubs for families, usually featuring playgrounds, kids activities, and lots of outdoor space for playing (one even has a weekly story time for kids - Archetype Brewing). And often level 2 chargers with J1772 plugs! Kids under 10 easily outnumbered adults today.

Reactions: DCEV
I'm going to try and figure out a neoprene wrapper to put around the adapter so it stays snug in the glovebox.

I prefer not to put this adapter anywhere either I or a guest could have a beverage in the adjoining cup holder. If that spills and gets in the adapter, it might not be so good...

Last edited:
I've kept my J1772 adapter in the center console where it is not very secure (even though I merely have Insane acceleration). Because of this thread, I went out and checked my glove box. There's no "J1772 holder" per se, but there are two recessed areas in the very back of the glove box, one on the bottom left and one on the bottom right, that fit the J1772 adapter just right. So I'm going to try it out there.

I, too, like to opportunity charge when I can and am usually able to cobble together a decent charge because of the ubiquity of J1772-based free chargers in my town. I was just at a brewery today playing outside with my kids and got about +50 miles range. In case that sounds weird, most of the breweries here in Asheville are kid-friendly and serve as social hubs for families, usually featuring playgrounds, kids activities, and lots of outdoor space for playing (one even has a weekly story time for kids - Archetype Brewing). And often level 2 chargers with J1772 plugs! Kids under 10 easily outnumbered adults today.
That’s a good business model ;)