Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the model X make your passengers car sick?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would ques of both the rapid acceleration and the regenerative breaking. Even if you dont floor the Tesla your likely accelerating heavier than in an ICE-car without noticing it. Travelling with friends who drive ICE makes in very clear. On ramp, out on a highway, your always distancing them without effort. Add to this the regen, which requires some new driving technique to be comfortably. First period with a Tesla this was.

Swayin i dont think is an issue, Im on 22s with low setting and the car is more like a normal height car than an SUV in this aspect. My Volvo XC90 was much more swaying and the Jeep Grand cherokee wk11 i had was extremly swaying.

O/T, but since I lease one, I'm curious how you'd compare your XC90 (was it a recent model?) to the X in terms of ride quality/comfort? I find it a very nice ride (if underpowered), had zero issues, and the build quality was great. But my lease is up.

I've driven both the current XC90 and the older models and obviously drive a Model X. The old XC90 was very soft and wallowed about all over the place, really not a sporty SUV at all and the pitching motion on braking/accel made everyone in the car feel sick. Really was like driving a boat! The current XC90 has much better pitch control and corners better too, but still on the soft side compared to the MX. Also rides much higher off the ground with more body roll in cornering etc. I'd say it's a more comfortable ride than the MX, but considerably less sporty. The MX sits at the stiffer end of the acceptable ride quality spectrum (even on standard 20" wheels), but is still generally comfortable on all but the worst of roads and handles very tightly for such a big, heavy car. The ride can get a little harsh over rough surfaces, but otherwise it's a good compromise between comfort/handling unless you are really into super-soft sofa cruisers!

Just to add, the new XC90 T8 was top of my shortlist when we chose the MX and I drove them back-to-back over a weekend. While the XC90 was a very nice car, for me the MX was in a different league with it's full EV powertrain and more sporty handling. I also preferred the UI in the Tesla, as the Volvo touchscreen seemed a bit slow and less intuitive to navigate. AP in the Tesla was also light years ahead of the Volvo system, if that matters to you. Only thing in favour of the Volvo was the build quality, but even that wasn't perfect with some dodgy fitting rear window trims on the demo car we had. Also the third row interior trim in the Volvo was surprisingly low rent hard plastic.

Last edited:
O/T, but since I lease one, I'm curious how you'd compare your XC90 (was it a recent model?) to the X in terms of ride quality/comfort? I find it a very nice ride (if underpowered), had zero issues, and the build quality was great. But my lease is up.
2017 year diesel powertrain. Quieter than mx but i would say mx excells in everything else. Build quality is a tad higher in the volvo and also emergency breaking but ap is far better than volvos pilot assist

Try turning your Model X acceleration into "Chill" mode and regain to "Low". I suspect this will fix it.

As mentioned, I did try Chill and it seemed to make no difference with TACC/Autopilot. There might be something to "Low" regen, and I'll give that a go and see what happens. What I noticed is that the car on AP uses the regular brakes way more than I would in stop-and-go traffic, so I am not 100% sure low regen will help. (What I'll do is make an "Autopilot Profile" that I can switch to).

As mentioned, I did try Chill and it seemed to make no difference with TACC/Autopilot. There might be something to "Low" regen, and I'll give that a go and see what happens. What I noticed is that the car on AP uses the regular brakes way more than I would in stop-and-go traffic, so I am not 100% sure low regen will help. (What I'll do is make an "Autopilot Profile" that I can switch to).
I agree, I often disable tacc/autopilot when I see traffic slowing ahead so I can start slowing sooner and more gradually than T/A.