Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does X have auto-open rear hatch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish!

maxresdefault (1).jpg

• Funny
Reactions: MTOman
Need the fob or push the handle.

For a car like this they didn't put a kick sensor to operate it. My wife is short and she can barely reach the button when it's opened. While I can lower the height of the opening it will then become inconvenient for me.

When I asked the SA about it before I got the car he was like, you just click the button(! as if it was a stupid question) with no shame about the missing kick feature. Our other BMW has it and it's a feature we've grown to use / appreciate.

You have options:

To open:
double click the fob
push button on trunk exterior

To close:
push button on hatch
lock the car (single press or triple if not turned on) and it closes
hit close on the screen
double click the trunk button on fob again

Those are better than most cars overall - many luxury SUVs won't let you close from the fob still (BMW for example we have)

Seems like it would be a fairly simple firmware enhancement. We know the fobs can be tracked, which enables auto-present.

Wouldn't it be great if the trunk would open when the car detects a fob directly behind the car for a few seconds? The time could be configured, and even completely disabled.

It's very similar to auto-present for the driver door, so Tesla might decide to limit it only to cars with PUP, but maybe not. Then again they probably won't implement it at all.